RALFFERS

I'm becoming an atheist

none of you religious advocates have touched my earlier question of why your god is the true one, and why other religions are false.

Because our God created the heavens and the earth...the other "gods" are probably real, but He created them as well.

are you being sarcastic when you say this?

For the first part NO, but the second part may be a lil' iffy...I only say it cause I rubbed buddha's belly, had a date with the Earth Mother, and even danced with the Devil...they all spoiled me...gave me some wealth and power, but I soon realized that shit was killin' me...when it came down to it, I realized that they didn't love me enough to die for me...I realized that I couldn't pull myself up by my boot strings no matter how hard I tried, no matter how much they made me feel I could.;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Because Christianity impedes scientific advancement.

No it doesn't...:D

Are you also being sarcastic about this one?

Not at all...there are plenty of people here that will tell you the same thing, and they're not Christians.;)

Theories of complexity are not limited to evolution but to the entire structure of the universe. Science has no explanation for why complexity occurs.

Wrong wrong WRONG.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Theories of complexity are not limited to evolution but to the entire structure of the universe. Science has no explanation for why complexity occurs.

Wrong wrong WRONG.

http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/~ellis/nature.pdf

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

>And once again believing in God and his judgment is not easy and does
> require FAITH . . .

No, it doesn't. If God already knows the actions you will take, then "easy" or "hard" is not an issue. Faith is not required. What has been destined to happen, will happen, whether or not you have faith.

>if your parents were let say into cults and black and white magic and they
>had son that grew up with those parents it will effect the kid negatively

Right, but again, it doesn't matter. They could do nothing else; they did not have a choice in the matter. God already knew what they were going to do.

It takes faith to believe in God and that he knows what actions we are going to take and such. If I don't have faith I do not grow in my understanding of him. it takes faith to believe that God knows what is best and knows what will happen. Believing in that alone requires faith/strong belief etc w/w

It takes faith to believe in God and that he knows what actions we are going to take and such. If I don't have faith I do not grow in my understanding of him. it takes faith to believe that God knows what is best and knows what will happen. Believing in that alone requires faith/strong belief etc w/w

Ok, so which god exactly did you put your faith into, and why is he the one true god and not one of the other thousands of gods? What would be the difference between you and your true god and someone who believes in Zues or Atlantis as the one true god? If faith alone is good enough for your god to be true, isn't it good enough for them also? If you try to say zues and atlas are ridiculous examples (they are no more ridiculous than any gods which are believed in today) then what about the Muslim god?

What would be the difference between you and your true god and someone who believes in Zues or Atlantis as the one true god? If faith alone is good enough for your god to be true, isn't it good enough for them also? If you try to say zues and atlas are ridiculous examples

Well, Atlantis is a pretty ridiculous example - it was a made up city state, not a made up god:P

And no-one would believe in either Zeus or Atlas as the one true god, they were both part of a pantheon of many major and minor gods.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

--Ok, so which god exactly did you put your faith into, and why is he the one true god and not one of the other thousands of gods? What would be the difference between you and your true god and someone who believes in Zues or Atlantis as the one true god? If faith alone is good enough for your god to be true, isn't it good enough for them also? If you try to say zues and atlas are ridiculous examples (they are no more ridiculous than any gods which are believed in today) then what about the Muslim god?

I love the way that question is phrased. Like it is the ultimate " I am going to shut those Christians up with this one". And of course everyone who asks that question already knows the answer. The choice is up to you, to answer from your very own free will. You will either choose God, or gods, or no god. You can even make yourself god. The one certainty is that what ever choice you make, you will reap where you have sown. For me , I believe Jesus is who He says He is. The Truth, the Way , and the Life, and that no one comes to the Father except through Him.

For me , I believe Jesus is who He says He is.

I don't believe Jesus ever said he was god or even the son of god.

The "I am who I am" guy is either the god talking to Moses or is Popeye (paraphrased of course).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The "I am who I am" guy is either the god talking to Moses or is Popeye (paraphrased of course).

Luke 22:70 And they all said " Are you the Son of God then?". And He said to them "Yes I am".

John 10:30 "I and the Father are One"

Popeye - thats funny

Luke 22:70 And they all said " Are you the Son of God then?". And He said to them "Yes I am".
John 10:30 "I and the Father are One"
Popeye - thats funny

I don't know what version you're using, but Luke 22:70 of the King James says;

Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

Source; http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2022:70&version=KJV

In today's language; "Then all of them asked, 'Are you then the Son of God?' And he said to them, 'You say that I am.'"

Which as you can see has a completely different meaning than whatever you quoted. It even has a bit of a smart ass tone to it.

In the same version of the bible John 10:30 reads;

I and my Father are one.

Again providing a completely different version than you've provided. In fact, in John 10, he's clearly speaking metaphorically and taunting the Jews that are confronting him (you can again read it as being a little sarcastic) in an attempt to get out of being stoned to death. He's not claiming he's god, he's trying to show the hypocrisy of the people stoning him. He's playing word games . . . AND it doesn't work! They still rush him but he manages to wrestle free and escapes to Jordan.

At least, according to John.
quade -

--Ok, so which god exactly did you put your faith into, and why is he the one true god and not one of the other thousands of gods? What would be the difference between you and your true god and someone who believes in Zues or Atlantis as the one true god? If faith alone is good enough for your god to be true, isn't it good enough for them also? If you try to say zues and atlas are ridiculous examples (they are no more ridiculous than any gods which are believed in today) then what about the Muslim god?

I love the way that question is phrased. Like it is the ultimate " I am going to shut those Christians up with this one". And of course everyone who asks that question already knows the answer. The choice is up to you, to answer from your very own free will. You will either choose God, or gods, or no god. You can even make yourself god. The one certainty is that what ever choice you make, you will reap where you have sown. For me , I believe Jesus is who He says He is. The Truth, the Way , and the Life, and that no one comes to the Father except through Him.

Translated: I have no reason to think that the one I believe in is correct, except that it is the one I believe in.

You're right, we knew that was the only answer you could give.

Ok, so which god exactly did you put your faith into, and why is he the one true god and not one of the other thousands of gods? What would be the difference between you and your true god and someone who believes in Zues or Atlantis as the one true god? If faith alone is good enough for your god to be true, isn't it good enough for them also? If you try to say zues and atlas are ridiculous examples (they are no more ridiculous than any gods which are believed in today) then what about the Muslim god?

I believe in Christ as my Lord and Savior, based on #1 My personal life experience, #2 The archeological evidence and other evidence out there, 3# the negative evidence towards God, 4# To me it would make more logical sense to believe in a God as described in the Bible than atheism.

If you really want me to throw evidence at you I can but it will be a back and forth process between you and me.

The difference between Jesus and any other God is that Jesus is the only one that rose from the dead, well that is the most obvious one anyway.

oh and another reason why I choose to believe in this is because I have seen God work in many of my friends including the OP of this thread.. True faith in Jesus will produce good works and it will help you live life the way God wants you to which is mainly to glorify him. If I focused on the "flaws" or contradictions or the things I find unfair/unjust I would be losing faith. You can say that about anything in life if you focus on the negatives only you will be disappointed/ pist etc and lose faith or belief in that. I do not ignore those things, however I have faith that God has infinite knowledge and know what is best for us and that what it is all about trusting in him and his judgment and not our own. Because who am I to say it is unjust to a God/Supernatural being with infinite knowledge who is Holy and perfect.

People should stop looking at it as a religion and more as a relationship with God, because that is what it's all about.

I don't know what version you're using, but Luke 22:70 of the King James says;
, according to John.

You can hang with the King James if you like, but I find the translation sometimes inadequate when compared with what Biblical scholarship has to offer today. The New American Standard version takes advantage of the improved understanding in areas of hermenutics, isagogics, exegesis, etymology, and the ancient Aramaic, Hebrew, Koine & Classical greek languages. It strives to be true to the original languages, be grammatically correct . King James of England just hired a bunch of Koine greek and Hebrew translators. Some of whom were not believers and probably didn't understand what they were translating.

Translated: I have no reason to think that the one I believe in is correct, except that it is the one I believe in.

You're right, we knew that was the only answer you could give.

Yes, since you appear to understand and hold the keys to your spiritual universe, hopefully you will choose correctly.

If you really want me to throw evidence at you I can

Let's have it then.

The difference between Jesus and any other God is that Jesus is the only one that rose from the dead, well that is the most obvious one anyway

So why does that make his story any better?

Oh well, the hell with it!

isn't it "to hell with it?"

I've alvays vondered about zat...

(now watch me get ripped as a rascist for speaking like a foreigner as they do...)

try not to loose sleep over even more imaginary concepts:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Oh well, the hell with it!

isn't it "to hell with it?"

I've alvays vondered about zat...

(now watch me get ripped as a rascist for speaking like a foreigner as they do...)

try not to loose sleep over even more imaginary concepts:P

:D

just leave me alone and let me repent!;)

You can hang with the King James if you like, but I find the translation sometimes inadequate when compared with what Biblical scholarship has to offer today. The New American Standard version takes advantage of the improved understanding in areas of hermenutics, isagogics, exegesis, etymology, and the ancient Aramaic, Hebrew, Koine & Classical greek languages. It strives to be true to the original languages, be grammatically correct . King James of England just hired a bunch of Koine greek and Hebrew translators. Some of whom were not believers and probably didn't understand what they were translating.

So, your bible is better than my bible because the language is different, yet somehow it's all the word of god?

How exactly does that work?
quade -

So, your bible is better than my bible because the language is different, yet somehow it's all the word of god?

We'll I know you're more intelligent than me. (at least when it comes to anything other than video compression...) So I assume you understand how translation works, and that which can be lost depending on the time and culture of a particular language.

There are literal translantions such as the NASB and ESV.

Then there are dynamic equivalency translations such as the NIV.

The literal translations try to stick th the original transcripts as best we can. While the dynamic equivalencies give the general idea of the actual word of God...that being the original transcripts.

I'm thankful that one does not need to understand nor read the whole Bible in order to believe...but for those that want to understand, the necessary tools are available...not to mention the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which is all one really needs.

Haven't you noticed, God gave us His Word and lets us do what we will with it. We can search its mysteries for the Truth it contains. Or we can bend and twist it to suit our evil desires.