RALFFERS

This is a pretty fucked up way to go

Clicky

A wedding photographer was accidentally shot dead after he asked the happy couple to pose with guns as part of the big day celebrations, Italian police have revealed.

Calogero Scimea, 45, was hit in the head after one of the guns went off.

He died in front of horrified bride Valentina Anitra, 22, and groom Ignazio Licodia, 25, as well as their parents.

Police said the tragedy happened just before the couple, who are teenage sweethearts, set off for their local church at Altofonte near Palermo on the island of Sicily.

Police were today questioning them as well as their relatives.

Prosecutors said the groom's parents rail worker Mario, 56, and his wife Rita, face possible charges of negligence leading to manslaughter, as the tragedy happened at their house.

Officers said the bride's parents, who live nearby, were also asked if they had any guns and went home to bring one of their own. All the firearms were legally held.

Ballistics experts have also been called in to examine the weapons, which were hunting rifles kept for shooting mainly wild boar in the nearby hills and countryside.

Palermo police spokesman Colonel Teo Luzi said: 'From what we have been able to establish the photographer had asked the parents of the bride and groom if they had any guns to use as props in a picture and one went off hitting him in the head killing him.

'He was only there as a favour for the wedding photographer who had been originally been booked but had to pull out as he was ill. The bride and groom were distraught and the wedding was immediately cancelled.

'The prosecutor is looking at bringing charges against the groom's parents as this is where the death took place but we need to examine the ballistics report first as the bride's parents also brought a weapon.'

He added: 'The firearms were legally held but in the interests of safety they should all be kept safe and not be handled by people who are not used to them and have no experience.

'What we are trying to establish is if the gun went off as it was being handled by the photographer or if it went off as it was handed to him but no-one is being very talkative.'

In southern Italy and especially Sicily it is common for guns to be fired at family events or festivals as part of the celebrations and in the past this has led to numerous deaths and injuries especially around New Year.

Altofonte's deputy mayor Angela Busellini said: 'No-one can believe it. Everybody is in a state of shock. It's such a tragic accident. The bride and groom are devastated.'

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

"went off" :D freakin tards. I love how guns mysteriously "just go off" only when they are handled.

The correct word is mishandled. [:/]

Totally tragic, totally preventable. Basic gun safety is something I've taught to many people. It only takes a few minutes. If you're in our family, you know how to handle firearms correctly. I wish I could have been there to prevent this. (Someone else could've have done it, but I like Italy;).)

Man.
1. The weapon is always loaded
2. Never point the weapon at something you don't want to shoot
3. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are aiming at the target.

And of course the dumb ass parents who handed someone unfamiliar with weapons, a loaded gun with the safety off. (If this was indeed a hunting rifle there is a good chance it had a safety)

Any of these could have prevented it.

Man.
1. The weapon is always loaded
2. Never point the weapon at something you don't want to shoot
3. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are aiming at the target.

I think one new guideline can be added.

4. if you're drinking at a party, don't bring out the guns for show. Alcohol makes it a lot easier for every link in the chain to be broken.

4. if you're drinking at a party, don't bring out the guns for show. Alcohol makes it a lot easier for every link in the chain to be broken.

I was always under the impression that guns and alcohol didn't mix. We need a new rule for this?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I was always under the impression that guns and alcohol didn't mix. We need a new rule for this?

We shouldn't need rules like "don't point guns at your friends" either, but here we are. None of these rules are rocket science.

(though I wonder how many of these incidents where a friend gets shot were truly accidental. Wouldn't surprise me if a few were quite intentional)

We shouldn't need rules like "don't point guns at your friends" either, but here we are. None of these rules are rocket science.

(though I wonder how many of these incidents where a friend gets shot were truly accidental. Wouldn't surprise me if a few were quite intentional)

And I'm reminded of the gun show incident where a pre-teen was allowed to shoot an automatic, and ended up putting a bullet, or two in his head when the gun recoiled 180 degrees. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

local church at Altofonte near Palermo on the island of Sicily.

A witness for CNN, Il Padrino was quoted as saying, "È stata una tragedia. La pistola partì accidentalmente. Riposi in pace."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Who in the fuck poses with guns for their wedding pictures anyway?

The end of the article indicates that it is a tradition of sorts in that part of the world.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Does the locale of the wedding provide a bit of a clue???

Palermo, Sicily????

How about the name Cosa Nostra?????

Just saying.

Check Wiki

Province of Palermo
The city of Palermo itself has 28 clans divided among 8 mandamenti, whilst the surrounding province is divided into 6 mandamenti.[34]

Mandamenti and clans in the city of Palermo Mandamento Capo mandamento Clans
Brancaccio Ludovico Sansone Brancaccio, Ciaculli, Corso dei Mille, Roccella
Noce Luigi Caravello Malaspina-Cruillas, Noce
Pagliarelli Giovanni Nicchi Borgo Molara, Corso Calatafimi, Pagliarelli, Rocca-Mezzo Monreale
Passo di Rigano - Boccadifalco (unknown) Altarello, Passo di Rigano - Boccadifalco, Torretta, Uditore
Porta Nuova (unknown) Borgo Vecchio, Palermo Centro, Porta Nuova
Resuttana Gaetano Fidanzati Acquasanta - Arenella, Resuttana
San Lorenzo (unknown) Capaci, Carini, Cinisi, Partanna Mondello, San Lorezno, Terrasini, Tommaso Natale - Sferracavallo
Santa Maria de Gesu' Sandro Capizzi Santa Maria di Gesu', Villagrazi di Palermo

The end of the article indicates that it is a tradition of sorts in that part of the world.

I thought they broke plates and belched a lot.

Isn't that done in Greece?

Chuck

And I'm reminded of the gun show incident where a pre-teen was allowed to shoot an automatic, and ended up putting a bullet, or two in his head when the gun recoiled 180 degrees.

Yeah with a MICRO uzi.... A weapon that was selected by his father since he thought a smaller weapon would be easier to control. Plus, they didn't use the stock. And the person who was supervising knew very little about FA fire.

Again.... People who don't know firearms making stupid choices.

When I let first timers shoot FA for the first time, the gun is carefully chosen, they shoot it in "semi" till they and I feel comfortable, and they are only given three rounds on FA till they and I feel comfortable.

But the fact still stands.... Modern guns don't just "go off".

But Homer Simpson says that NRA stands for Nachos, Rifles, Alcohol!