carmenc

Evolution in action

Are you trying to start an argument? If so, you need a catchy headline like "More Proof the Bible is Full of Shit".
Posting a link without insulting a specific group rarely gets more than token attention here in SC.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Are you trying to start an argument? If so, you need a catchy headline like "More Proof the Bible is Full of Shit".
Posting a link without insulting a specific group rarely gets more than token attention here in SC.

Sorry.

I don't think the Bible is full of shit.

People who take it literally as the story of creation are full of shit.

This really isn't evolution in action per say. Species can evolve, no doubt by anyone side on that. The problem starts when one says that a species can evolve into a completely separate & new species.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

This really isn't evolution in action per say. Species can evolve, no doubt by anyone side on that. The problem starts when one says that a species can evolve into a completely separate & new species.

They can, and they do. I suggest you research "divergent evolution".

Species can evolve, no doubt by anyone side on that.

You underestimate the power of religious stupidity.

The problem starts when one says that a species can evolve into a completely separate & new species.

It's not 'the' problem - it's your problem. Fortunately, reality doesn't care what you think.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yea, let's say from a land creature to a sea creature.

PSSSSST: Whales have leg bones.

Some scientist is going to find *that* fossil and spend the next 20 years scratching his head, going "WTF???"

:D
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not to mention, primate to man isn't such a stretch consideing we have soooo many like phenotypical feature and with Chimps our genotype is similar too. More likely, IMO based upon what I've heard experts claim, we diverged from the same species that some primates have evolved from. Evolution is real and is still in play everyday, there are holes in the ape-to-man theories however.

Some scientist is going to find *that* fossil and spend the next 20 years scratching his head, going "WTF???"

:D
Many such fossils are now known. In fact the transition from terrestrial mammals to whales is one of the best documented evolutionary histories. The fossil record also corroborates hypotheses, based on DNA sequence similarity, about the origin of whales in the hoofed mammals (artiodactyls) similar to small deer. The only people scratching their heads and going "wtf" are the creationists.

Don

In fact the transition from terrestrial mammals to whales is one of the best documented evolutionary histories. The fossil record also corroborates hypotheses, based on DNA sequence similarity, about the origin of whales in the hoofed mammals (artiodactyls) similar to small deer.

Basically, they saw what it was like up here, said "Fuck this shit", and got back in the water.
Can't say I blame them.

Not to mention, primate to man isn't such a stretch consideing we have soooo many like phenotypical feature and with Chimps our genotype is similar too. More likely, IMO based upon what I've heard experts claim, we diverged from the same species that some primates have evolved from. Evolution is real and is still in play everyday, there are holes in the ape-to-man theories however.

Man did not evolve from ape. Man and ape evolved from a common species.
Creationists see the missing parts of evolution, the times for which no fossils have yet been discovered, and point to that as being proof against evolution and for creation. But that is like spotting a car on I-80 in Wendover, nevada and then spotting the same car on I-80 in Salt Lake City and saying it cannot be the same car because nobody saw it on I-80 at a particular mile marker somewhere along the route even though nobody was there to spot the car.
Don't take this personally, lucky. Even though you and I have our disagreements I think you are to intelligent to believe that creationist crap.
HAMMER:

In fact the transition from terrestrial mammals to whales is one of the best documented evolutionary histories. The fossil record also corroborates hypotheses, based on DNA sequence similarity, about the origin of whales in the hoofed mammals (artiodactyls) similar to small deer. The only people scratching their heads and going "wtf" are the creationists.

Don

It would be interesting (if a human life could span the time) to see how long any significant portion of the population holds onto creationism. With the ability to sequence DNA and the resultant ability to map out the tree of life; giving any credence to creationism over evolution is quite simply learned ignorance overriding inate intelligence for the sake of how people feel. Emotions (the cerebral type, not the limbic type) are a lousy tool for evaluating the world.

The ability to sequence DNA confirms evolution with no room for doubt. It is like putting something together, having it work properly, then finding the directions later and discovering your assembly was on the money.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

The ability to sequence DNA confirms evolution with no room for doubt. It is like putting something together, having it work properly, then finding the directions later and discovering your assembly was on the money.

Actually, I think that getting into molecular biology makes it easier for the creationists and IDists to ply their snake oil.

Thing is, molecular biology is ridiculously, obscenely complicated - and the resultant lack of public understanding of it creates a huge playing field for the loonies to operate in. They can basically tell flat out lies and come across as very convincing, because they're using lots of big scientific words and phrases that none of their followers actually understand. Then the snake oil seller can further claim the no-one in the scientific establishment has been able to refute their claims - the beauty being that of course the claims have been refuted, but since the followers don't understand the refutation either, they just continue trusting the guy who agrees with them and says the establishment is talking out of its arse.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Man did not evolve from ape. Man and ape evolved from a common species.

Man is ape.

I know. My post should have read "man and other apes..."
HAMMER:

In fact the transition from terrestrial mammals to whales is one of the best documented evolutionary histories. The fossil record also corroborates hypotheses, based on DNA sequence similarity, about the origin of whales in the hoofed mammals (artiodactyls) similar to small deer.

Basically, they saw what it was like up here, said "Fuck this shit", and got back in the water.
Can't say I blame them.

They must have elected their own Obama back then.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Response from a creationist to a poster on a political site. I particularly liked the "evolution is supposed to guarantee that all individuals get to procreate" thing. It's like justice - you know, the system where everyone is always innocent.

=============
Evolution is a LIE!

You are a LIAR and a FRAUD for spreading your bullshit evolution prpaganda! evolution has never been proven to work and it's not even logical. Let me tell you a fun story. My friend's seven year old nephew died of cancer two months ago. How the fuck is that evolution? Evolution is supposed to guarantee that all individuals get to procreate: this is called "fitness" (your word, not mine)! If someone dies at 7, he doesn't get to procreate. This happens all the time. It also proves that evoution doesn't work EVEN BY YOUR OWN FUCKED UP STANDARDS! Why would evolution make people have cancer? what "advantage " do you get from having cancer? Evolutionists have got to be the dumbest fucking retards this side of scientology. Need more proof? How's this: if birds "evolved" magically from dinosaurs (tyranosaurus?), then there should be a creature that's 99% dinosaur and 1% bird, then another thats 98% dinosaur and 2% bird and so on. Am I going too fast for you? It's called basic logic, you shitbrain retard. Now, show me a fossil of a 82/18 dinosaur/bird? Or 61/39? Wait! Maybe they don't exist! How fucking stupid do you have to be to believe something that's obviously bullshit? Did your mommy drop you on your head? You mock people's faith in God when you yourselves have faith in stuff that's not even remotely reasonable. Your probably not really evil, just really fucking stupid and brainwashed. So why dont you pull your head from your ass and look at how retarded your evolution cult really is.

and maybe you'l wake up and realize you've been fucked over and defrauded.
============

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, heterosexuals are evolving into homosexuals. Pretty soon the world will be populated by...oh, never mind.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

God, is everything that happens in the world somehow linked to Obama for you? Go have some fun and relax a little. It's not the end of the world.

God, Grow a sense of humor . . . I for one would not blame the dinos for becoming extinct if they DID elect their own Obama.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I thought it was funny - after 10 years of the same crap just getting worse, I'd consider going back to the oceans too....:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants