ntrprnr

First SC thread. Go easy. Carbon Footprint question

So I was flying from NYC--SEA today for a speech I have to give tomorrow.

Got an email from someone (quasi-friend, more like a FB friend) who implied that I better be giving one hell of a lot of money to offset my carbon footprint (biz travel between 200k and 300k per year.)

I shot back that we were probably about even, since I live in NYC, and the car I lease has less than 13,000 miles on it in the past 2.5 years, he lives in CA and drives down the street for milk.

All other factors being even, should I simply tell him to STFU?

And even more, that plane would still fly whether I was on it or not, right? (That's the bigger question for the fight... The plane would still fly - I wouldn't be able to get there to give my speech, someone else would, why should I give up the opportunity to make money so someone else can?)

Thoughts?

-Peter - from a hotel room. In Seattle. Which I flew to. But took the Link to get to from the airport.

>All other factors being even, should I simply tell him to STFU?

If you really want to calculate your footprint, there are dozens of calculators on line that can determine what impact you have. Generally city dwellers have a somewhat smaller footprint. Transportation, heating and power usage is much lower, but shipping costs for food, water, sewage, trash etc eats into some of that.

>And even more, that plane would still fly whether I was on it or not, right?

Yes - but if a lot of people followed your lead, the airline would cancel flights and you'd definitely see CO2/fuel usage reductions.

(Also depends on the aircraft. A 757 gets about 60 passenger-miles per gallon, which is better than most cars.)

You're cute.

So,

that plane would still fly whether I was on it or not, right?

That is a really bad argument--easily refutable.

But, your point was how to respond to your friend, thus I will not digress: Yes, I would tell him to STFU. Your livelihood is none of his damn business. You do what you can, where you can, and otherwise what you have to do.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

that plane would still fly whether I was on it or not, right?

So you and your kind think that just because baby seals would be clubbed to death anyhow, it must be ok, right? Swell guy.

Welcome to the Speaker's Corner Forums! Remember, listen to your instructors and enjoy this new phase of your life! ;)

should I simply tell him to STFU?

Absolutely! Around here, it's our way of saying "I love you!"

I agree.
Tell him to STFU, then go club more seals while screaming "I LOVE YOU!" at the top of your lungs.

Welcome to SC. Several rules, here is a sampling: It's Bush's fault, Clinton did it first, and nothing is sacred except mothers.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

STFU means you think he has a point.

Simply laughing at the whole concept of being able to offset ones carbon footprint just by paying guilt money is a much better option. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

...he lives in CA and drives down the street for milk...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
This says it all. Very nice.

100 years from now people will look back on this phase of history and bust a gut laughing at the gullible folks who swallowed without question this whole "climate change," "global warming," "carbon footprint" series of myths pushed by left-wing totalitarians.

Amazing, the vanity that drives these people who actually think mankind can alter the climate.

Go ahead, worry about your "carbon footprint" or don't. It doesn't matter either way. In a few hundred thousand years the sun will blow up and it won't matter. But while we're still here, if you value liberty, freedom, and America's foundation of Constitutional limitations, don't ever vote for the extremist losers who take this crap seriously.

Cheers,
Jon S.

So I was flying from NYC--SEA today for a speech I have to give tomorrow.

Got an email from someone (quasi-friend, more like a FB friend) who implied that I better be giving one hell of a lot of money to offset my carbon footprint (biz travel between 200k and 300k per year.)

I shot back that we were probably about even, since I live in NYC, and the car I lease has less than 13,000 miles on it in the past 2.5 years, he lives in CA and drives down the street for milk.

All other factors being even, should I simply tell him to STFU?

And even more, that plane would still fly whether I was on it or not, right? (That's the bigger question for the fight... The plane would still fly - I wouldn't be able to get there to give my speech, someone else would, why should I give up the opportunity to make money so someone else can?)

Thoughts?

-Peter - from a hotel room. In Seattle. Which I flew to. But took the Link to get to from the airport.

I agree with CarrieByTheSea, you vocation is pretty much your business. You are not into human trafficking are you?

There is an Eastern principle that basically states, responding to absurd negativity just gives it energy.

Andy9o8 is an attorney, so count on him to counterpoint anything you post.

Otherwise, welcome to SC. Don't make any definite judgments for at least one year.

Hang on, you are in for a wild ride.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

100 years from now people will look back on this phase of history and bust a gut laughing at the gullible folks who swallowed without question this whole "climate change," "global warming," "carbon footprint" series of myths pushed by left-wing totalitarians.

Amazing, the vanity that drives these people who actually think mankind can alter the climate.

Go ahead, worry about your "carbon footprint" or don't. It doesn't matter either way. In a few hundred thousand years the sun will blow up and it won't matter. But while we're still here, if you value liberty, freedom, and America's foundation of Constitutional limitations, don't ever vote for the extremist losers who take this crap seriously.

Cheers,
Jon S.

100 years from now.... your great grandchildren may have some beach front property there near the FARM.( edited since you are an old fucker already):ph34r::ph34r:

Nothing to see here... move along.... sea level will never rise... these are not the droids you are looking for:ph34r::ph34r:

>100 years from now people will look back on this phase of history and
>bust a gut laughing at the gullible folks who swallowed without question
>this whole "climate change," "global warming," "carbon footprint" series of
>myths pushed by left-wing totalitarians.

30 years ago I went to LA for the first time. It stank of unburned gas, sulfur and soot. You could see the yellow layer as you descended into the valley.

Fortunately, the "gullible people" back then "swallowed without question" the science behind pollution and did something about it. Now today the air is between 50% and 90% cleaner than it was 30 years ago.

So in 100 years I hope people look back and say "gee, this wasn't as bad as we thought it could be." On that day, they will probably be going through a lot less carbon than we do today. Not just because we will reduce our carbon usage to prevent warming, but we will tire of people dying from coal power plant emissions, expensive oil, even more expensive oil spills, mountaintop removal, coal dam failures and the myriad other negatives surrounding heavy carbon usage.

The deniers will use those observations to "bust a gut" laughing at the "gullibility" of people. Which is fine; whatever amuses them. The more intelligent types will realize that their reduction of carbon emissions had something to do with what happened.

>Amazing, the vanity that drives these people who actually think mankind
>can alter the climate.

And even more amazing the people who do not understand atmospheric chemistry.

Woo wooo
Hi Bill its the logic police! Don’t conflate co2 with pollution. Do you want to cap and trade water vapor as well?

As far as atmospheric chemistry; it would seem non of the IPCC scientist understand it because none of their models have measured up to reality.

But to get back to the topic at hand: Use one of the many carbon calculators, figure your carbon footprint, multiply your carbon output with the market rate of CO2 on the European market.. Take this amount and send it to me and I will offset your carbon footprint.

>Hi Bill its the logic police! Don’t conflate co2 with pollution.

They are not the same. But the exact same arguments you've been using against regulating CO2 were used against regulating SOx, NOx, HC, CO and particulates back in the 1970's. Those arguments failed (fortunately.) Result - we now have a cleaner city where a lot fewer people get sick from stuff in the air. The rest of the country followed California's lead, and we are all better off as a result.

>Take this amount and send it to me and I will offset your carbon
>footprint.

How will you do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgDhDa4HHo

He is correct, IMO. Overpopulation is the largest environmental problem. Fortunately, population is no longer going exponential, social scientists say that we should top out at about 8.5 billion, and hopefully start decreasing quickly. No country wants to do anything about the problem, except China.

Overpopulation aside, another huge issue is the way we eat. But the same dude that was swilling beer and probably ate a steak afterwards doesn't want to admit that a vegetarian lifestyle will do more for the environment than not driving at all. No one wants to say that we should stop eating animals and reduce caloric intake (like beer).

Al Gore doesn't want to admit that each of his two medium sized dogs has a larger carbon footprint than an SUV. What? You mean I have to give up my beloved pets? No way I can do that!

The really inconvenient truths are the ones that we can't even admit to ourselves.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Cheers,
Jon S.

100 years from now.... your great grandchildren may have some beach front property there near the FARM.( edited since you are an old fucker already):ph34r::ph34r:

Nothing to see here... move along.... sea level will never rise... these are not the droids you are looking for:ph34r::ph34r:

I cannot wait for that...... who likes CA anyway :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

...Amazing, the vanity that drives these people who actually think mankind
>can alter the climate.

And even more amazing the people who do not understand atmospheric chemistry...

Okay, maybe you understand atmospheric density better than I do. But you really believe mankind can alter the climate?

Cheers,
Jon

...the same dude that was swilling beer and probably ate a steak afterwards doesn't want to admit that a vegetarian lifestyle will do more for the environment than not driving at all...

If God didn't intend for us to eat animals, why'd He make them out of meat?

Cheers,
Jon