skyrider

Seriously, WHY are all the Mods here Ultra Libs?

I know I'm not a moderator (nor would I volunteer if asked, I feel for those folks for what they've bitten off) but I do sometimes wonder how I'm perceived to lean.

I figure if you get half the people calling you a right-winger and half the people calling you a left-winger you're probably pretty well balanced...

...or you've completely lost your mind.

I know I'm not a moderator (nor would I volunteer if asked, I feel for those folks for what they've bitten off) but I do sometimes wonder how I'm perceived to lean.

I figure if you get half the people calling you a right-winger and half the people calling you a left-winger you're probably pretty well balanced...

...or you've completely lost your mind.

You forgot All of the above.

Just because you are accused of being a Left Winger - doesn't mean you haven't lost your mind.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>I respect your answer, yet still woner why ALL?

The most direct answer to that is "they're not." Like I said, Tom Aiello is not even close to "ultra left." I believe he's stated he's a libertarian on more than one occasion.

What is the first half of Lebertarian?[:/]

If you actually believe that libertarians are the political sisters of liberals because they start with the first 5 letters (or for any other reason), then yes, ALL the mods here are leftist terrorists, slowly destroying America, and eventually the world.

>I respect your answer, yet still woner why ALL?

The most direct answer to that is "they're not." Like I said, Tom Aiello is not even close to "ultra left." I believe he's stated he's a libertarian on more than one occasion.

What is the first half of Lebertarian?[:/]

If you actually believe that libertarians are the political sisters of liberals because they start with the first 5 letters (or for any other reason), then yes, ALL the mods here are leftist terrorists, slowly destroying America, and eventually the world.

has anyone ever mentioned to you that there are shades of grey. Just because they are slowly destroying America doesn't mean that they are terrorists.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I thought about sending this as a PM but I think this is a better way to do it

Bill, I have stated that over all you do a good job. There is no way anybody could keep their own bias out of a job like this to some extent. My point was that since all active mods do seem to be liberal, there is a slant on this site to a degree, That said however take a look at just one example of a bias affecting things

When you tell two people here to cut it out, who do you normally reply to? The lib or the conservative? (yes, it can make a difference)

In any event, keep up the good work and have a beer more often. I cant think of many who would want the job (for the pay) that you do here.

Ok, the pay dont matter, I can not think of many who would do the work you do here.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

My point was that since all active mods do seem to be liberal, there is a slant on this site to a degree,

I think this may be more the nature of the site's general audience than the moderation.

Skydivers as a general group probably skew more liberal overall as we're likely to be at least partly socially liberal. I can't think that many skydivers that would be for laws banning all skydiving. ;)

For some, that may be where it ends as there are those that at one time or another wanted to ban or limit just about every aspect of this sport that they don't participate in, For others that may just be supporting banning or limiting other activities they don't participate in.

For society as a whole as more people question social conservatism, its basises, its impact, one may find additional people establishing a more "live and let live" philosophy. :)
Fiscally based liberalism vs. conservatism is a whole different discussion as ironically, the base philosophies completely switch.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I've given my reasons why I consider myself a liberal. If you consider me ultra-left you may be looking at things from a different place than the center.

There's no rule here about what "political leanings" moderators here have to have, nor is there any rule that says they can't participate in any debates here.

BTW if you really think Tom Aiello is an "ultra left" sort you've never met him.

Tom is most definitely NOT a lefty. But while I don't come here everyday, it's been ages since I have seen Tom post anything here. Is he on a leave of "Moderator" absence? Maybe he's too busy hurling himself (as well as teaching others how to hurl themselves) off of fixed objects.

As far as the infamous BillVon is concerned ... it's debatable in the USA, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, you too are NOT a lefty. You are most definitely a centerist. But the world is a big place. As an example, Canada's Conservative Party is left of the US Democrats on many (not all) topics.

Me? Well ... what ever normal is, I assure you I am not it. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I am a Mod at another chat board..One of our rules is" stay out of left/right arguements"..

Seems all the mods here are Ultra left/liberal!

Will this thread stand?

Or be silenced?

all the mods here are white - where are the black/brown mods ;)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

I am a Mod at another chat board..One of our rules is" stay out of left/right arguements"..

Will this thread stand?

Or be silenced?

That's right!! A classic case of the White Man tryin to keep the brotha's down. And on a site owned by a white guy from South Africa to boot. :D:D:D

Of course there in one woman and one American Indian but they are just a tokens like Tom Aiello is the token conservative. Not hard to see the racism and sexism rear it's ugly head if you look hard enough. :ph34r:

When you tell two people here to cut it out, who do you normally reply to? The lib or the conservative? (yes, it can make a difference)

I don't have hard numbers but I DO know that every time I've gone out of bounds, and I would fall into the "lib" category with more than a little elbow room, I've gotten a warning message from Bill.

So far, I've managed to keep my "line crossings" far enough apart... but they've rarely gone unnoticed or unwarned.
Owned by Remi #?

>Bill . . . it's the iinternet - you really shouldn't take it so seriously.

If I took it seriously I wouldn't be volunteering. I might take some of those mean-n-nasty comments to heart and have some sort of existential crisis. Probably need aromatherapy or something.

With nearly 50,000 posts to this forum I would think you'd need finger relaxation therapy. They must be pretty muscular by now.

B|
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Are you implying that moderator comments to "cut it out" are directed more frequently towards conservatives than libs ?

That's similar to dreamdancer's argument that criminal convictions occur more frequently against people of color.
It must be the "system" I tell ya, not the offender. :D

the ability to spell and punctuate are required attributes of moderators.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As an example, Canada's Conservative Party is left of the US Democrats on many (not all) topics.

True. I had a big discussion with a Candian who considered himself a far right conservative and hated liberalism. I explained that we were talking on different scales and he eventually got it. He didn't think soc meds was a liberal concept.

Will this thread stand?

Or be silenced?

There is one and he's conservative. Can't think of his name.

Because they suffer from an uncurable sickness; read on...

Dr. Lyle Rossiter, author of the new book, "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." says the liberal agenda preys on weakness and feelings of inferiority in the population by:

• creating and reinforcing perceptions of victimization;

• satisfying infantile claims to entitlement, indulgence and compensation;

• augmenting primitive feelings of envy;

• rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government.

"The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind," he says. "When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."

Tom? he's pretty honest about his libertarianism - (libertarianism is definitely NOT conservative though - as it's not conservative on the social scale)

Quade? well......

Billvon might be a liberal (bent with a bit of a superiority complex) - but certainly not a brainwashed Liberal (note the case). But then again, most everyone here has a socially liberal (note case) bias that's reflected in libertarian preferences. most everyone here has conservative positions too - only a couple Conservatives (note case) really are around here.

The only one I've met is BV, and he's a great guy.

I think most are just cynical or playful and will play devil's advocate to keep the "true partisan believers" from either team frustrated

90% of us here are socially liberal (i.e., we don't mind what others do one bit - or even care - unless it intrudes upon us). The others (right and left) are just social control freaks that cannot handle any kind of diversity - they eventually grow up.

90% of us here are fiscally conservative - we don't mind helping others out, but would rather do it voluntarily for things we believe in. The others (right and left) are just babies that want a free ride for groups of their choosing (for various reasons that they justify as noble or kind or whatever let's them sleep at night).

all the bickering is about pretty petty stuff once the baseline is really established

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You are correct; definitely a heavy liberal slant, despite any outliers (if you could call them that).

I think it is the "do-gooder" attribute in their character.

Wonder how different the tones would be if the flip side were equally represented and equally vocal?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Go back and point out that you are using the "universal they" so that it won't be called a PA

nah... it was directed at a political party. It's a nice inconsistency in the "what is a PA" definition. You can't say someone is part of a group, and then fire off an attack against people in that group. But if they are self defined as part of a group through their posts and actions, stating that members of that group (but only if it's a political party) are stupid, can't spell, aren't smart enough to be moderators (or whatever the insult of the day) is ok.
--
Rob

Yeah-posted tongue firmly in cheek. I'm not big on emoticons. People that know me know when I'm joking, people who don't aren't really big blips on my personal radar, and too many posters try to hide behind smileys after being assholes.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour