Gato

Trip to Mexico City....Advice?

Hey dz peeps -

I tried looking for other threads on this place, but most are a couple of years old or better. I'll be heading down to Mexico City around the 27th of this month...a work trip that's currently scheduled to last two weeks. I'm not sure if there will be any time at all to do anything fun, let alone getting to jump, but I wanted to shake the tree a bit and see if anyone has any ideas, connections, warnings, etc.......if that makes any sense.

I know there's a dz about an hour away from the city, and I was planning on contacting them before I go. (can't recall the name, and I'm posting from my phone!)

Anyway, I await your wisdom. :P

(Incidentally, I've already been told, "Don't drink the water.")
T.I.N.S.

Best advice - Don't go. Mexico is a mess right now. Good place for people to get killed. I get daily reports.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Best advice - Don't go. Mexico is a mess right now. Good place for people to get killed. I get daily reports.

The large majority of the public don't realize how very bad it is. Well, besides "don't get killed" I'll add "don't get kidnapped" since you'll be with a work group. That's another popular past time right now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Mexico City is a very nice city... if you don't look like a paranoid american from 1 mile distance you will have a great time. Bring your rig and contact one of the locals. The Skydivers of Mexico City are the reason why I Skydive and Basejump. Honestly, I felt much more save walking at night thru Mexico City than walking thru NYC.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I dont know what's changed in the last 12 months but I spent 5 weeks in Mexico and Mexico city last year.
We started in Mexico City and went south.

TJ and the USofA border is where all the problems were then. We felt VERY safe in Mexico City, people were very friendly and we were out late every night, and walked most every where The Zocala is very well patrolled by the Police.
Mexico City is a facinating place :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most of the people that think it's dangerous have never been to mexico. It's like people telling you how crazy it is to jump from an airplane B|

I spent last winter there, came back at the end of april. Spent some time in sinaloa, tijuana, chihuahua... all the "dangerous spots". Well if you're not arrogant, if you don't travel around with your big camera and your gold chain, you'll be ok. Even more if you try to speak spanish.

The food is amazing, lots of cultural life, nightlife is great...

Only thing missing is good beer; theirs has almost no alcohol in it, but if you live in the states you're already used to that! Anyways they have good tequila!

Have fun!

Make other plans if you can. The others are right about the danger there. Under normal conditions its OK but the uncontrolled killings are now spreading to the tourist areas.

as opossed to the "controled" killings:S

Dont skydive it's dangerous:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I dont know what's changed in the last 12 months but I spent 5 weeks in Mexico and Mexico city last year.
We started in Mexico City and went south.

TJ and the USofA border is where all the problems were then. We felt VERY safe in Mexico City, people were very friendly and we were out late every night, and walked most every where The Zocala is very well patrolled by the Police.
Mexico City is a facinating place :)
http://socalcabbie.blogspot.com/2008/02/tijuana-hooker-price-list.html ;)That be TJ. Better yet. Go here> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvIDNEt-Fmk
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Most of the people that think it's dangerous have never been to mexico. It's like people telling you how crazy it is to jump from an airplane B|

Or

2)have seen the travel warnings from the US Government.

Or

3)have seen a large number of intelligence briefings on the matter.

It could be either, but I know two of the posters in this thread fall under #3...

Do whatever you like, just actually make educated decisions.

Or

Or

It could be either, but I know two of the posters in this thread fall under #3...

Myself, I'd listen to the opinion of a Texas Cop...They deal with it daily!

Or

Or

Myself, I'd listen to the opinion of a Texas Cop...They deal with it daily!

Not in Mexico CITY they dont.
All due respect to Dave, but the border problems were not the slightest bit evidenced by me in Mexico CITY. (no where near the border)
and the USofA Gov't warning was for the BORDER.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The current set of briefings tend to say otherwise, that kidnappings are significantly up in Mexico City, as are cartel related violence. This has escalated significantly in the last 6-9 months. That is really all I can tell you.

Squeaker, the thing is, what the majority of people don't put together, is that it is all connected. Even the increase of violent crime and murder in Canada is directly related to the cartel violence and impending collapse of government in Mexico and further into South America. The RCMP is even saying that. There were 4 officers in Arkansas shot due to cartel violence from Mexico, while patrolling in Arkansas.

This is not limited to "just the border area."

Like I said previously, do whatever you like, just make an informed decision. Just a little research on the subject and you may be able to find a lot of the same information available publicly, or at least alluded to.

AP story-

CANCUN, Mexico — Police in Cancun found 12 decomposing bodies in four caverns and were searching for more cadavers in violence blamed on drug gangs in the popular resort city, officials said Friday.

Earlier this month, police discovered six other bodies, three of them cut open and their hearts removed, in a similar cavern near the Mexican resort. Three of the bodies had the letter "Z" carved on their abdomens — a possible reference to the Zeta drug gang.

This kind of stuff never happens around my DZ that I am aware of.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Not in Mexico CITY they dont.
All due respect to Dave, but the border problems were not the slightest bit evidenced by me in Mexico CITY. (no where near the border)
and the USofA Gov't warning was for the BORDER.

And that was LAST year, before all the drug cartel stuff started up, was it not?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There was group of reporters who were trying to let people know it was safe to travel to Mexico to boost tourism and they were kidnapped . It is not a good time to go there.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06/13/indigenous-landowners-briefly-kidnap-mexican-reporters-govt-tour-promote/
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

All of this makes me nervous a hell. My brother is (Darktreader on here) is working there at the moment.

Originally he was supposed to fly to Cancun last Saturday and then travel about 15 miles by car to the job site. A couple days before he gets a call and is notified that due to Cartel activity on the road he was supposed to be taking from Cancun to the job site (Kidnappings and Murders), the customer (a Japanese owned manufacturing plant) changed the plans. Instead they flew him to Mexico city where they had a smaller plane waiting that would get him closer to the job site.
These people live and work there and will NOT travel on the roads around Cancun.

He is still there working at the moment.

Yes, I am nervous as hell for him. Anyone that says there is nothing to worry about there right now must really have their head up their ass.

All of this makes me nervous a hell. My brother is (Darktreader on here) is working there at the moment.

Originally he was supposed to fly to Cancun last Saturday and then travel about 15 miles by car to the job site. A couple days before he gets a call and is notified that due to Cartel activity on the road he was supposed to be taking from Cancun to the job site (Kidnappings and Murders), the customer (a Japanese owned manufacturing plant) changed the plans. Instead they flew him to Mexico city where they had a smaller plane waiting that would get him closer to the job site.
These people live and work there and will NOT travel on the roads around Cancun.

He is still there working at the moment.

Yes, I am nervous as hell for him. Anyone that says there is nothing to worry about there right now must really have their head up their ass.

I'm sure more American teenager die alone in Cancun thru alcohol poisoning during spring brake than all other Americans together in the rest of the country... Cancun is not Mexico, it's an US tourist island in Mexico
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I'm sure more American teenager die alone in Cancun thru alcohol poisoning during spring brake than all other Americans together in the rest of the country... Cancun is not Mexico, it's an US tourist island in Mexico

Seeing as how over 200 American were killed in Mexico between 2004 and 2008,

HOUSTON - More than 200 American citizens have been killed since 2004 in Mexico's escalating wave of violence, amounting to the highest number of unnatural deaths in any foreign country outside military combat zones, according to the U.S. State Department.

I'm sure you have stats or news stories of some sort that show the 40 or so kids that die of alcohol poisoning every year in Cancun?

Or, you could just be talking through your hat.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706