JohnRich

Scotland: Grandmother jailed over WWII 'family heirloom' pistol

what about rocks?

Cool - government funded "Rocks for Cash" programs.

I'm in.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ever thought that she could have been lieing and was covering for her scrote of a son?

Perhaps that is why it was hidden under the mattress.

This is the problem here. It wasn't found in the bottom of grandads old trunk, or forgotten in a drawer. It was hidden in an accessible location and discovered during a search.

It is a serious crime to posess a weapon like this in the UK.

She might have been able to get away with it but the circumstances are not mitigating.

in the US, It would have been thrown out as an Illegal search! They were looking for her grandson...Not likely he is hiding between the mattresses!>:(

Even in the US, when the police are inside a premises for a purpose such as executing an arrest, they're lawfully permitted, for their own safety, to conduct a limited-purpose search to secure the area against easily-accessible, yet concealed, weapons that might be used against them. So in my experience there would be about a 90-95% chance that the gun would be admitted into evidence in the US.

in the US, It would have been thrown out as an Illegal search! They were looking for her grandson...Not likely he is hiding between the mattresses!>:(

Even in the US, when the police are inside a premises for a purpose such as executing an arrest, they're lawfully permitted, for their own safety, to conduct a limited-purpose search to secure the area against easily-accessible, yet concealed, weapons that might be used against them. So in my experience there would be about a 90-95% chance that the gun would be admitted into evidence in the US.

I disagree!

I disagree!

Do you, now.

Tell you what, I disagree with you about motorcycles, since obviously I know so much more about them than you do. Not that I'm a bike expert or anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Tell you what, I disagree with you about motorcycles, since obviously I know so much more about them than you do. Not that I'm a bike expert or anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Just to complete this line of reasoning out - does your practice involve criminal defense?

Unless the son was waving it around for show/intimidation only, it shouldn't be difficult to examine the barrel for recent usage. Gunpower residue or cleaning solvents would be evidence that this was not forgotten.

does your practice involve criminal defense?

Quite a bit. That, and hotel management.

So criminal hotel management?

What y9ou work for Pimps?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

She might have had a chance with the judge if it had been displayed in a case as a trophy...hidden under a mattress ...not so much!

BUT, in the US, It would have been thrown out as an Illegal search! They were looking for her grandson...Not likely he is hiding between the mattresses!>:(

With the honesty of cops, I think we know the butt was stikcing out of between the mattress and box.

News:

Grandmother jailed over WWII 'family heirloom' pistol

Gail Cochrane, 53, had kept the gun for 29 years following the death of her father, who had been in the Royal Navy. Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son. She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law. Cochrane told the High Court in Edinburgh that she had never contemplated she might be committing a crime by keeping the gun or that she might need to get a licence for the weapon. She said: "I thought it was just a war trophy."...
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

Which is why I stand against the UK form and style of government advancing in the U.S.A. Those people are influencing our leaders over here and I believe they should be obstructed.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Only 42 gun related deaths in the UK last year, Over 10,000 in the US. It seems very obvious, the US needs to relax it's draconian gun laws.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/britain-records-18-fall-in-gun-deaths-1232069.html

quoting absolute numbers against populations of such disparate sizes like that is exactly why nobody can trust the use of statistics any more.

You have no credibility by quoting numbers like that. All you're hoping to do is troll up a pro-gun response, stir up some shit, and jack your post count.

If we had a killfile feature to ignore posts from users, this would have earned you a spot in mine.
--
Rob

Only 42 gun related deaths in the UK last year, Over 10,000 in the US. It seems very obvious, the US needs to relax it's draconian gun laws.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/britain-records-18-fall-in-gun-deaths-1232069.html

quoting absolute numbers against populations of such disparate sizes like that is exactly why nobody can trust the use of statistics any more.

You have no credibility by quoting numbers like that. All you're hoping to do is troll up a pro-gun response, stir up some shit, and jack your post count.

If we had a killfile feature to ignore posts from users, this would have earned you a spot in mine.

I would hope most here would know the the UK has a much smaller population (65,000,000.) than the us (290,00,000).

Why don't you run off and start a new truther post, your over due.

I would hope most here would know the the UK has a much smaller population (65,000,000.) than the us (290,00,000).

when have I ever posted in favor of the truthers?

you must have me confused with someone else. Either that or I was right and you're just trolling.
--
Rob

when have I ever posted in favor of the truthers?

you must have me confused with someone else. Either that or I was right and you're just trolling.

First, sorry about the truther comment, I confused you with some one else.

I have no need to try and manipulate numbers, they speak for them self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

UK pop 60M gun deaths 42
US pop 300M (approx) gun deaths >10,000

Population ratio 1:5
Gun death ratio 1:240

The reason you dislike his numbers is that they very strongly support his point rather than yours.

UK pop 60M gun deaths 42

The reason you dislike his numbers is that they very strongly support his point rather than yours.

was I trying to make a point pro or con guns in that post? No... I was expressing my dislike of mis-use of statistics.

In any case, it's not a matter of the tools in use, it's a sociological issue.
--
Rob

UK pop 60M gun deaths 42

was I trying to make a point pro or con guns in that post? No... I was expressing my dislike of mis-use of statistics.

In any case, it's not a matter of the tools in use, it's a sociological issue.

That's always the lame excuse, whether gun murders, healthcare, whatever. Whenever the US looks bad it's ALWAYS sociological; the US couldn't POSSIBLY learn anything from places that are doing better.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's always the lame excuse, whether gun murders, healthcare, whatever. Whenever the US looks bad it's ALWAYS sociological; the US couldn't POSSIBLY learn anything from places that are doing better.

I'm happy to learn from others.

Let's learn from England how to remove our right to defend ourselves in our own home. OOPS, that's one of their mistakes. Let's confiscate guns and misreport crime statistics. OOPS that's a mistake too.

They have lots of things we can learn from over there. I like to learn how not to do things as well as how to do things.

What's your proposed solution again?
--
Rob

This wasn't a misuse. Now if someone had said that London had 42 shootings, rather than the entire country, or that the UK only had 42 murders, rather than shootings, that would be misuse.