JohnRich

Scotland: Grandmother jailed over WWII 'family heirloom' pistol

News:
Grandmother jailed over WWII 'family heirloom' pistol

Gail Cochrane, 53, had kept the gun for 29 years following the death of her father, who had been in the Royal Navy. Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son. She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law. Cochrane told the High Court in Edinburgh that she had never contemplated she might be committing a crime by keeping the gun or that she might need to get a licence for the weapon. She said: "I thought it was just a war trophy."...
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

way cool ... I've never seen a "self loading" gun of any type ... LOL!! I take it they mean auto?

The correct term is "semi-auto". Some people use "auto" to mean semi-auto, but that has other connotations also, like full-automatic. Thus, one should be careful to use the correct technical term to describe a firearm, in order to avoid misconceptions. The press is very good at deliberately choosing words to confuse the public like this - it seems that nearly everything to them is an automatic assault weapon.

The press is very good at deliberately choosing words to confuse the public like this

That's possible. It's also possible that the reporter was a gun-whuffo who was ignorant about the subject matter on which he was reporting, and too lazy or rushed to take the time to educate himself so that he'd know what he was talking about. That's why, for example, skydiving-whuffo reporters typically write crap like, "the experienced diver, with over 50 dives to his name, pulled his ripcord, but his parachute failed."

This is very common in the UK (the Gun not the conviction)
After the war it was near imposible to keep tabs on all service weapons, and many people simply took them home! My Grandfather also keept the same pistol, But has since buried it on his farm somewhere. He also kept some amunition which are on my mantle now, Ive got some 45 shells and some german one's aswell.
The funny thing is he never handed the pistol over to the authoritys for fear of reptrebution, (as I with the ammo).
It say's alot about the legal system doesn't it....

She might have had a chance with the judge if it had been displayed in a case as a trophy...hidden under a mattress ...not so much!

BUT, in the US, It would have been thrown out as an Illegal search! They were looking for her grandson...Not likely he is hiding between the mattresses!>:(

The correct term is "semi-auto"

"Self Loading" is a correct term. It is more relevant from a historical standpoint.... It was what semi auto's were called when they were first designed and invented. The term "semi auto" came later and has been adopted and become the primary definition.

Some terms that have been, or still are, used as synonyms for semi-automatic pistol are automatic pistol, self-loading pistol, self-loader, autopistol, and autoloader.

And

self-load·ing (sĕlfˈlōˈdĭng)
adjective
Automatically ejecting a shell and chambering the next round from the magazine; automatic or semiautomatic. Used of a firearm.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

The correct term is "semi-auto"

"Self Loading" is a correct term.

My response in message #3 was to the word "auto", not "self-loading".

But what is more disturbing here is that 44% of the poll respondents think that an old woman with an antique pistol, who hasn't used it to threaten or harm anyone, and who doesn't even own any ammo for it - deserves to go to prison for five years. THAT is what this thread should be about.

My response in message #3 was to the word "auto", not "self-loading".

Sorry, that was not clear to me.

But what is more disturbing here is that 44% of the poll respondents think that an old woman with an antique pistol, who hasn't used it to threaten or harm anyone, and who doesn't even own any ammo for it - deserves to go to prison for five years.

I am torn on it.

On the one hand, she didn't seem to plan any harm. And it is possible that she really didn't know she should not have had it.

On the other hand, her Country has a rule against it... She and her Countrymen have decided how they want the country to run by voting the way they have. And ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

While *I* think it is stupid.... They voted (to include her) to be held to those rules and you reap what you sow.

Maybe throwing the Granny in jail will sound as stupid to them as you and I and they will change the law a bit.

way cool ... I've never seen a "self loading" gun of any type ... LOL!! I take it they mean auto?

The correct term is "semi-auto". Some people use "auto" to mean semi-auto, but that has other connotations also, like full-automatic. Thus, one should be careful to use the correct technical term to describe a firearm, in order to avoid misconceptions. The press is very good at deliberately choosing words to confuse the public like this - it seems that nearly everything to them is an automatic assault weapon.

Actually the British millitary use the term Self Loading Pistol I was carded for use of a SLP.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

what is more disturbing here is that 44% of the poll respondents think that an old woman with an antique pistol, who hasn't used it to threaten or harm anyone, and who doesn't even own any ammo for it - deserves to go to prison for five years.

Maybe it's a tacit commentary on something other than the old lady. Just a guess.

News:

Grandmother jailed over WWII 'family heirloom' pistol

Gail Cochrane, 53, had kept the gun for 29 years following the death of her father, who had been in the Royal Navy. Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son. She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law. Cochrane told the High Court in Edinburgh that she had never contemplated she might be committing a crime by keeping the gun or that she might need to get a licence for the weapon. She said: "I thought it was just a war trophy."...
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

Question to the Brits:

if she had made the pistol inoperable (removed firing pin, or the like), would that make it non criminal? Or is anything approaching a usable pistol too much, and worthy of this sentence?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Just like with ALL laws, there is no grey area. You do the crime, you do the time.

That is how a right wing conservative answers this type of question, isn't it?

Oh, shit, I'm sorry, she is a white person of northern European ancestry. That means she gets a pass, as she really didn't mean to break the law, and absolute application of the law only applies to brown and yellow people. It most certainly does NOT apply to normal whites folks, if it was an honest mistake. No sireee, bub.

But what is more disturbing here is that 44% of the poll respondents think that an old woman with an antique pistol, who hasn't used it to threaten or harm anyone, and who doesn't even own any ammo for it - deserves to go to prison for five years.

I am torn on it.

On the one hand, she didn't seem to plan any harm. And it is possible that she really didn't know she should not have had it.

On the other hand, her Country has a rule against it... She and her Countrymen have decided how they want the country to run by voting the way they have. And ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

A five-year prison sentence for these circumstances is a travesty of justice. She's not a gangster who used a gun in crime. This is just a technical paperwork offense, and should be nothing more than a citation, like a traffic ticket, with a moderate fine. To have this grandmother sharing a prison cell with a serious felon, should cause people to realize that something is seriously amiss. Treating the mere possession of a gun, without any criminal misuse of that gun, as a 5-year felony, makes the law an ass.

To those who approve of this sentence, beware: If you don't protest now when such travesties are happening to others, don't be surprised when no one cares when they come for YOU.

I have never owned a gun, I have never been in favor of people owning guns. BUT I believe that in this country, I have the right to own a gun, and that that right is in jeapordy. I have seriously been thinking of getting a gun, before that right is taken away from me.

I don't think that right is in particular risk at this time - gun control isn't a vote getter. However, any change will grandfather current owners, and waiting until you actually feel a need to have one is likely to be too late.

I have never owned a gun, I have never been in favor of people owning guns. BUT I believe that in this country, I have the right to own a gun, and that that right is in jeapordy. I have seriously been thinking of getting a gun, before that right is taken away from me.

When you need one, it's too late to go out and get one. The time to get one, is BEFORE you need it.

Buy it, get lessons on how to use it, then stow it away, and you never have to touch it again. But some day, just in case, it's there for you if you need it, ready and waiting.

I'd add to John's advice...

You might be surprised to find you enjoy shooting it. Add some practice after you stash it. (even if it's only once a year) You don't ever want to be uncomfortable with your gun. Remain familiar with it.
--
Rob

Ever thought that she could have been lieing and was covering for her scrote of a son?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Just like with ALL laws, there is no grey area. You do the crime, you do the time.

That is how a right wing conservative answers this type of question, isn't it?

Oh, shit, I'm sorry, she is a white person of northern European ancestry. That means she gets a pass, as she really didn't mean to break the law, and absolute application of the law only applies to brown and yellow people. It most certainly does NOT apply to normal whites folks, if it was an honest mistake. No sireee, bub.

I disagree. If she was a US citizen then it wouldn't have happened that she is in this situation.

If she were a US citizen and broke the law here, she should be punished according to the laws here. I have never agreed with the laws in England that prevent people from having freedom.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If it was Minnesota

the gun could be stolen, then sold to the government in a "guns for cash - no questions asked" program. Check the ballistics and the serial number. Then if they find out the gun was stolen, they won't arrest the thief and the gun won't be returned to the true owner but might instead be melted down into a liberal sculpture of some kind.

only in the liberal mind set can a piece of property be stolen twice once the authorities get involved. and then turned into a piece of crap

extra - if the stolen gun was used in a murder, then they also won't pursue the murderer

all this couched with terms like "gun violence" (not violence done by PEOPLE who use the gun) and "gun crimes" (not crimes done by people)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Couldn't agree more with you - If somebody wants to harm another, they can do it anyway, regardless of weather they have a gun or not. Gun control has never made any sense to me at all. we have had knife amnistys aswell in this counrty - what about rocks? Or the bare hands? It all steams from humans beleaving they are something differnet, somehting special. This could set me off on a load fo things here - land ownership - law - religion - none of it makes any sense to me.

I'll stop here though - I don't think she should get five years, but tbh she proberbly won't becuse all the prisions are pritty much full :D