Erroll

The World Cup in South Africa

US, UK and Germany all advanced to the quarter-finals yesterday.

North Korea is OUT, and were coincidentally at the bottom of the rankings.

I hope they like dark places :S

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

MB: I'm not one to rejoice in the misery of others (well, maybe when it comes to the Azzurri), but what the fuck is Italy doing???? ;)

They did f.ck all as I predicted they would do in this WC.

Lippi played personal favorites and brought players that shouldn't have been anywhere near this team (Iaquinta, Pepe, Cannavaro (brilliant in 2006 but out of form for years now), Zambrotta, etc)...

I love Italia but I didn't like this team...some of our best players (Cassano, Rossi, Miccoli, Inzaghi, Motta,Brighi, Rannocchia) were left home because the coach simply didn't like them or was too lazy to try integrating some new chemistry into the squad.

Lippi was $$$ in 2006 but he's become old and stubborn now. I think France had heaps of talent on this team but if your coach is broken and you don't have a leader like Zidane, this is what happens...

Not to mention that these days it's very difficult to repeat WC title.

Both France and Italia have better days ahead with new coaches who will try new things. It can only get better...

I'll be rooting for Maradona/Messi for the rest of the tourney. Should be interesting to see what happens in the elimination rounds.

:)

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

This World Cup has turned out like World War 2.
The French surrendered early, the Italians are in retreat, the USA arrived at the last minute and the British are left to fight the Germans !

:D

I hope the US will not nuke the Japanese again :|:|:|

:D:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The French surrendered early, the Italians are in retreat, the USA arrived at the last minute and the British are left to fight the Germans !

North Korea would be an acceptable alternative. :P But we all know the implications that would follow. It would not turn out well.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Enough silliness...

Especially with the bracket that the US ended up in! You guys have a very serious shot to make it to the semi finals. From that point, it would be extremely tough to advance considering who should be left, but, that would be a great result for US soccer!
Remster

No chance. USA 1 : 2 Ghana.

That match was well worth watching, absolutely. Just with the better end of sausage for the Ghana guys. Well deserved.

The majority of US guys is playing in European top league teams ..... they are great, just need to work on fitness level. [:/]

So, what is left? Oh well, the Tommy tomorrow will try his best to beat our a**es - in vain, again (I hope!) ....

:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I will admit this was the very first time I ever watched a soccer game from start to finish.
Sorry to say, never again.
120 minutes long and only 3 goals scored. Only slightly more excitement than golf. Just not my thing.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

120 minutes long and only 3 goals scored.

Therein lies the beauty of soccer. It is a game of patience, strategy, subtelty, team work and individual flair, with some acting thrown in:P.

Add to that the sub-plots, like the major rivalries. Do you yourself one more favour and watch the England - Germany game today. It promises to be the game of the tournament so far.

120 minutes long and only 3 goals scored.

Therein lies the beauty of soccer. It is a game of patience, strategy, subtelty, team work and individual flair, with some acting Drama Queen Tantrums thrown in:P.

Add to that the sub-plots, like the major rivalries. Do you yourself one more favour and watch the England - Germany game today. It promises to be the game of the tournament so far.

FIFY:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I will admit this was the very first time I ever watched a soccer game from start to finish.
120 minutes long and only 3 goals scored. Only slightly more excitement than golf. Just not my thing.

Even though this was a fine game by any standards, I think you echo the sentiments of most Americans in respect to this sport. And your sentiments are precisely the reason why USA doesn't deserve a world cup let alone a presence in the tournament.

I'm sure the people of Ghana will continue celebrating today as they should...second WC in a row that their country bumped USA out of the tournament. Not bad for a nation with 1/10 the population of their opponent.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

With 5 goals scored (and allowed), the Americans gave 4 much better games than most teams in the Cup. Esp when you look at the ones that laid down and died, playing for a draw in their 3rd game.

But Ghana seemed better with ball handling, and swarmed everywhere in the first half and in OT. At least the US went down fighting.

But you might find the evening recaps on ESPN to be more your liking, esp if you have a tivo. It condenses it down to the minutes with good attempts on goal. During group play, it would cover 4 games plus lots of talking head time in a 2 hour broadcast. The games themselves could be seen in 30.

..the Americans gave 4 much better games than most teams in the Cup. Esp when you look at the ones that laid down and died, playing for a draw in their 3rd game.

Agreed. The USA have consistantly played attractive and exciting soccer - one of the reasons for their injury time goal the other night.

While I am happy for Ghana (being fellow Africans an'all), I am sorry to see the Americans go.

Even though this was a fine game by any standards, I think you echo the sentiments of most Americans in respect to this sport. And your sentiments are precisely the reason why USA doesn't deserve a world cup let alone a presence in the tournament.

I'm sure the people of Ghana will continue celebrating today as they should...second WC in a row that their country bumped USA out of the tournament. Not bad for a nation with 1/10 the population of their opponent.

That's kinda like saying the Dallas Cowboys don't deserve new baseball gloves. Though it would be nice, most of them really don't care.
Yep, Ghana has a fraction of the US population, but I think you would find there are far more people in Ghana who care for and follow soccer than in the US. That's total numbers, not just percentage.
The sport will probably never be as popular here as in the rest of the world. We have football, baseball, basketball, golf, ten gazillion types of motorsports, etc. all competing for viewers.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I hope you watched the England Germany game. Only (6) 5 goals scored, but if you still think it was boring, perhaps basket ball where 200 goals per game is the norm is your best bet.:P

Germany played with no 'superstars', but they were clinical and inventive. Good win.