NickDG

Oil Spill Crybabies . . .

There are only few dozen offshore oil wells here in California mainly because every time they want to sink another one us "liberals" get up and vote against them.

There are hundreds and hundreds of off shore oil wells in the Gulf. And now all you gun toting flag waving rednecks are crying the blues. "We've been fishermen for generations and we don't like big gov'er'ment," but now you've all got your hands out.

"Cleaning up the oil is making me throw up, I need a check!" Well, cry me a frigging river tough guys.

BP will certainly go bankrupt in the coming weeks but don't pine for them as they'll come back under another name. But I'll be damned if one dime of my tax money goes to bailing you morons out.

You wanted to live by the drill so now you can die by the spill . . .

So suck it up all you wannabe John Waynes - literally!

NickD :)

The problem is that when a super-large oil company goes under, then it can and will effect the global economy. The far reaching implications of this situation is scary, and I'm not talking about the bird and turtle people, I'm talking about the global social and economical implications.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

One problem with that sentiment: this effects not only the "rednecks" in the region, but the US, North America, and the entire world either directly through the oil being spread through storms and currents but indirectly through financial impact and policy as well.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The problem is that when a super-large oil company goes under, then it can and will effect the global economy. The far reaching implications of this situation is scary, and I'm not talking about the bird and turtle people, I'm talking about the global social and economical implications.

Interesting point. We've always heard that when there is necessity, the world will find an alternate energy source. Besides an economy that is based on oil crumbling, will we see a new horizon for what we consider "energy"?

BP will certainly go bankrupt in the coming weeks

What on earch gave you that idea?

This is a 125B company, with a net income of 20B last year.

Exactly!
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Interesting point. We've always heard that when there is necessity, the world will find an alternate energy source. Besides an economy that is based on oil crumbling, will we see a new horizon for what we consider "energy"?

Maybe, recently I was reading some interesting articles about peak timber. About the coming end and ability to maintain and sustain timber production at the current rate.

It was written 300 years ago!

Maybe, recently I was reading some interesting articles about peak timber. About the coming end and ability to maintain and sustain timber production at the current rate.

It was written 300 years ago!

What locale was it written for? In 1710, given the limitations of goods transfer, I'm sure it was a concern for many places, and would be the limiting factor on the growth of a larger city.

Unlike oil today, that is a solvable problem. With the exception of the theory that there is some bacterial created hydrocarbons in the mantle, oil doesn't have the replenishing cycle of trees.

It was talking about "New World" virgin timber. I wish I could find it again, it was an interesting article.

Interesting, but maybe not the best comparison. Takes a tree 20 years to grow back. Oil takes a few million years, and a lot of old plants or dinosaurs, or oil executives :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

There are only few dozen offshore oil wells here in California mainly because every time they want to sink another one us "liberals" get up and vote against them.

There are hundreds and hundreds of off shore oil wells in the Gulf. And now all you gun toting flag waving rednecks are crying the blues. "We've been fishermen for generations and we don't like big gov'er'ment," but now you've all got your hands out.

"Cleaning up the oil is making me throw up, I need a check!" Well, cry me a frigging river tough guys.

BP will certainly go bankrupt in the coming weeks but don't pine for them as they'll come back under another name. But I'll be damned if one dime of my tax money goes to bailing you morons out.

This is funny . . . I believe the audience you are speaking to will do that . . . just as soon as you find a way to get that shiney new bike of yours to run without that oil you don't want.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hey! >:(

I don't stereotype well!:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

You've been enjoying jumping for 33 years. From what? An airplane powered by rubber bands?
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

33% of America's oil comes from those off-shore wells in the Gulf. That means that you've been driving around all this time with the stuff in your gas tank. So you don't get to blame southern rednecks for allowing the drilling, because you've been promoting it yourself with your driving. Give up 33% of your driving miles, and then maybe you can claim some moral high ground. But until then, just because it ain't coming from your shore, doesn't mean you're not partially responsible for the demand to produce it.

Much of the nation's gas is refined here in the Houston, Texas area. We'll be happy to shut the valve on your pipeline if you're so all-fired against oil.

How about a new federal law that says that each state must make do with the oil they can produce from their own territory? We'd be sitting pretty and smiling here in Texas. We might have to put up armed border guards on the highways to keep you hippie/yuppie Californians from comin' over here and tryin' to get some of ours. Yeah, you guys like to talk about how "green" you are, while continuing to suck up vast quantities of other people's oil. You're living in a liberal weenie dream world...

The problem is that when a super-large oil company goes under, then it can and will effect the global economy.

Kinda like a super large investment bank, or insurance company backing mortgage derivatives?

This is awesome. So AggieDave, are you going to make clear your position on the Wall St. bale-out?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Let it fail.

The failure would be scary. The government propping up the inevitable and continually moving to a welfare state is even scarier!

The point I was bringing up is that people aren't looking at this problem on the full scale.

Let me get this straight, a big oil company can't fail, but the financial industry can?

You must be from Texas.

They both should.:|

33% of America's oil comes from those off-shore wells in the Gulf. That means that you've been driving around all this time with the stuff in your gas tank. So you don't get to blame southern rednecks for allowing the drilling, because you've been promoting it yourself with your driving. Give up 33% of your driving miles, and then maybe you can claim some moral high ground. But until then, just because it ain't coming from your shore, doesn't mean you're not partially responsible for the demand to produce it.

Much of the nation's gas is refined here in the Houston, Texas area. We'll be happy to shut the valve on your pipeline if you're so all-fired against oil.

How about a new federal law that says that each state must make do with the oil they can produce from their own territory? We'd be sitting pretty and smiling here in Texas. We might have to put up armed border guards on the highways to keep you hippie/yuppie Californians from comin' over here and tryin' to get some of ours. Yeah, you guys like to talk about how "green" you are, while continuing to suck up vast quantities of other people's oil. You're living in a liberal weenie dream world...

Fully agree.

Plenty of liberals get up and oppose clean energy sources that would destroy their ocean views. Hey, I agree with this because such would make property values decrease. But it doesn't matter whether it is wind or oil or whatever, people on the left and right do not want things like this in their backyard.

And now all you gun toting flag waving rednecks are crying the blues. "We've been fishermen for generations and we don't like big gov'er'ment," but now you've all got your hands out.

Why must they all be gun toting flag waving rednecks? Plenty of these fisherman are simply hard working people whose livelihoods are threatened.

There are plenty of people who are rightfully pushing for compensation. This makes sense. The question is, "From where are they seeking it?" If from the government, then, yeah, there would be a significant amount of hypocrisy from the small government folks.

On the other hand, seeking compensation for their losses from BP would not be inconsistent with even a libertarian point of view. In fact, there will be - or probably alrady are - class action suits on behalf of fishers, restaurants, transporters, property owners, tourist industry, etc. I'd be willing to bet that states sue BP for loss of tax revenues from the loss of the fishery and tourism tax revenues.

Your post is only valid if: (1) the person seeking compensation is a small government supporter; and (2) that person seeks money from the government.

Thus far I don't see that happeneing.

Those complaining are the ones who haven't "lived by the drill." They are others who lived by different means.

My wife is hotter than your wife.