jgoose71

BP "The gulf can take it"

>Not to mention Obama is basicaly telling BP to handle it and hasn't
>activated the coast guard, navy, army corps of engineers, or anything
>else yet that I can tell to help fight it.

?? You have to start getting better news sources:

==========
Coast Guard Skimmer Ships Attempt to Contain Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Apr 29, 2010 Diane Seltzer

The U.S. Coast Guard has deployed dozens of skimmer ships with booms in efforts to corral and burn the oil spill endangering Gulf of Mexico and coast.
===========
Navy Deploys Sensors To Monitor Oil Spill

Ocean-monitoring instruments will help researchers study the Loop Current and other currents in the Gulf to track oil's path.

By Elizabeth Montalbano
InformationWeek
June 2, 2010 01:30 PM

The U.S. Navy has joined the Deepwater Horizon spill monitoring effort, deploying ocean-monitoring instruments and sensors near the spill to help researchers examine surface and deep currents affecting the oil's flow in the Gulf of Mexico.
=============
NAVSEA's SUPSALV Surges, Supports Oil Spill Response
From Naval Sea Systems Command Office of Corporate Communications

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Navy pollution response experts have shipped 98,000 feet of oil containment boom as of May 20, to the Gulf of Mexico, as part of the combined effort to reduce the environmental impact of the underwater oil spill at an exploratory oil rig off the coast of Louisiana.

Naval Sea Systems Command's (NAVSEA) Supervisor of Salvage and Diving (SUPSALV) has positioned equipment and personnel from Texas to Florida to support the oil spill response efforts led by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Department of Homeland Security.

"With a single phone call from the U.S. Coast Guard, 66,000 feet of open ocean boom and nine self-contained skimming systems, and the professionals to install and operate them, were dispatched (representing the initial shipment). That's your Navy - a 24-hour Navy, incredibly ready and trained to respond to a wide variety of national taskings," said Vice Adm. Kevin McCoy, NAVSEA commander.
=============

Inaction of the administration KNOWING they had a major incident is simply a creation and reinforcement of anti drilling "platforms" for liberals to run on next term.

Congratulations! Your post is a finalist in the "most idiotic gratuitous liberal-bash of the week" contest. Hold on to your ticket.

I don't think he is dragging his feet to increase the drama, I think he is dragging his feet because he is to inept to know his resources at hand.

Right. Because formulation of a relief plan relies on the President personally crafting it using only his own pre-existing knowledge of the resources available. Yeah.

Maybe he might surround himself with someone in the know? How many Czars does he have?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Glad to see that there are some ships on the way. I noticed that the date of the article is June 2nd. Why did it take so long and why isn't the work being more publicized?

Any word on the berms being approved yet?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>Glad to see that there are some ships on the way. I noticed that the date
>of the article is June 2nd. Why did it take so long and why isn't the work
>being more publicized?

?? I think because right now action is more important than PR. (Which is an all-too-rare good decision IMO.)

I think it is taking the time it has because:

1) in many cases, people aren't just going to warehouses to buy containment 'hats' and barriers and skimmers; they are building them as fast as they can.

2) many people expected top-kill to work and to be the solution. (The lesson there may be "we screwed up; we trusted BP.")

3) it wasn't clear until fairly recently how bad the leak was. BP was way underestimating the amount of oil they're losing through the blowout.

4) it caught most people unprepared. Generally oil companies take care of spills, and it is their spill-control plan that gets followed. The US government simply didn't expect to have to solve the problem when BP couldn't.