jgoose71

BP "The gulf can take it"

Hydrogeologist Lyle Bruce, an employee for BP, says that the gulf is so oil rich that is has a natural seep that occurs into the Gulf every year.

This natural seep has allowed for bacteria to evolve that will break down the oil spill in short order after the leak is stopped.

My concern is that the amount of oil spilling into the gulf right now will overcome any natural defenses that the gulf may have. Not to mention Obama is basicaly telling BP to handle it and hasn't activated the coast guard, navy, army corps of engineers, or anything else yet that I can tell to help fight it.

Thoughts on what the gulf will look like next year?

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/06/03/4457540-bp-hydrogeologist-the-gulf-can-take-it
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Generally speaking the Coast Guard and Navy are excellent choices if you want to blow shit up, but I don't think they have a lot of oil drilling experience. The Army Corps of Engineers might have quite a bit of construction experience, but again, no drilling.

The engineering issues involved simply seem to be out of the realm of experience of anybody right now including the jerks that should have known.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The engineering issues involved simply seem to be out of the realm of experience of anybody right now including the jerks that should have known.

Coupled with the difficulties in doing anything in 5000ft of water, where pressure is 150 atmospheres.

Coupled with the difficulties in doing anything in 5000ft of water, where pressure is 150 atmospheres.

That would be among the issues. The other big one is the possibility of subsurface cracks associated with the well. In other words, you plug the hole and the pressure forces oil out cracks we don't even know about yet.

This thing is fucked up beyond comprehension.
quade -

Generally speaking the Coast Guard and Navy are excellent choices if you want to blow shit up, but I don't think they have a lot of oil drilling experience. The Army Corps of Engineers might have quite a bit of construction experience, but again, no drilling.

I'm not talking about capping the well when I say coast guard, navy etc... I'm talking about setting up oil booms to catch the oil and clean it up before it hits the beaches and marsh lands.

Everyone knows that BP is the experts for capping and drilling relief wells. What about all the shit that is coming to the gulf coast?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

I'm not talking about capping the well when I say coast guard, navy etc... I'm talking about setting up oil booms to catch the oil and clean it up before it hits the beaches and marsh lands.

Again, it's a matter of equipment? Exactly where in the fleet do these ships exist?
quade -

Again, it's a matter of equipment? Exactly where in the fleet do these ships exist?

There existing ships can do it. They can all tow an oil boom. They are all equipped with ballast tanks and holds that can hold this shit. They are all equipped this sea suctions for firefighting equipment.

An aircraft carrier can perform relief operations in the wake of tsunamis and earth quakes. What makes you think that the same equipment on other ships don't have peace time uses also?

And what about the Army Corps of Engineers? When are they going to be allowed to build burns to protect the marsh lands? Why are they still waiting on "Environmental Impact surveys?" I can tell you what the impact of the oil is going to be, and I'm not even a scientist.

That's right. Liberals hate the military. There is no other use for them other than to kill babies.

I'm surprised that someone who seems (from the general tone of your posts) to be against "big government" expects the government to build and maintain fleets of skimmers, booms sufficient to protect thousands of miles of coastline, plus the trained crews to operate all of that. It would (as a wild ass guess) cost 100 million to build the fleet, plus many more millions to maintain a state of readiness and pay the crews to be on standby while training so as to be able to respond effectively. This is all an investment you think the taxpayer should shoulder? Why shouldn't the petroleum industry be required to maintain the ability to contain a spill? They're the ones reaping the profit, while putting others at risk.

Don

I'm fairly certain you don't fully understand the scale of what has gone on. You could put every ship and member of the military into the gulf and it would have nearly zero effect.

You want the Army Corps of Engineers to build a berm to protect the wetlands? Along the entire gulf coast? That's simply not possible.
quade -

I've heard talk that the dispersal agent they are using is only going to make things worse and may in fact be the reason the oil slicks are so concentrated. [:/]

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I'm surprised that someone who seems (from the general tone of your posts) to be against "big government" expects the government to build and maintain fleets of skimmers, booms sufficient to protect thousands of miles of coastline, plus the trained crews to operate all of that. It would (as a wild ass guess) cost 100 million to build the fleet, plus many more millions to maintain a state of readiness and pay the crews to be on standby while training so as to be able to respond effectively. This is all an investment you think the taxpayer should shoulder? Why shouldn't the petroleum industry be required to maintain the ability to contain a spill? They're the ones reaping the profit, while putting others at risk.

Don

Spending the last 21 years of my adult life in the navy I can tell you that we don't need a fleet of skimmers. The same systems that make these ships such effective war machines can also be used to help clean up the oil spill. I would expect the Commander-and-Chief to know that. If he is so concerned with the clean up cost, he could mail the bill to BP later.

I'm fairly certain you don't fully understand the scale of what has gone on. You could put every ship and member of the military into the gulf and it would have nearly zero effect.

You want the Army Corps of Engineers to build a berm to protect the wetlands? Along the entire gulf coast? That's simply not possible.

Louisiana isn't asking for berms to be built along the entire coast line. There are 6 specific areas they are asking for protection for various reasons. I think that would be a good start.

That would be among the issues. The other big one is the possibility of subsurface cracks associated with the well. In other words, you plug the hole and the pressure forces oil out cracks we don't even know about yet.

This thing is fucked up beyond comprehension.

You haven't even touched on the worst part of it. A good deal of the oil is very likely subsurface - it takes a while to ascend 5,000 feet, even for oil.

So even after the hole is plugged or the relief wells stop the leak, the subsurface oil will continue to wash up for months to come.

Hydrogeologist Lyle Bruce, an employee for BP, says that the gulf is so oil rich that is has a natural seep that occurs into the Gulf every year.

This natural seep has allowed for bacteria to evolve that will break down the oil spill in short order after the leak is stopped.

I don't buy it. How often do you see oil and tarballs washing up on the beaches of three states? This is not a normal occurrence, and the normal environmental response isn't going to make it all better.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I don't buy it. How often do you see oil and tarballs washing up on the beaches of three states? This is not a normal occurrence, and the normal environmental response isn't going to make it all better.

I don't buy it either. it's what they are claiming though. I was living in Alaska when the Exxon Valdez oils spill happened. The spill will eventually get cleaned up and things will go back to normal, the question is how long do you think it will take? Months? Years? This guy was obviously hired as a Spin Artist.

Seriously?

Where?

You could try these for starters . . . they are big enough to tow booms around.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Seriously?

Where?

You could try these for starters . . . they are big enough to tow booms around.

Keep in mind, despite all of the humanitarian missions, medical, and other forms of aid the U.S. Military has provided around the world, to some liberals, the only thing the military can do is kill babies.

The idea that some of these boats might be able to perform other missions is, well, unheard of.:S

Ships and booms have been deployed at the beginning when it could have been effective.

Inaction of the administration KNOWING they had a major incident is simply a creation and reinforcement of anti drilling "platforms" for liberals to run on next term.

I agree - there is not enough equipment to do a ful scale cleanup - but there could be an effort to do what can be done. right now they are holding out so they let the problem get worse and then the drama gets deeper.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Inaction of the administration KNOWING they had a major incident is simply a creation and reinforcement of anti drilling "platforms" for liberals to run on next term.

I agree - there is not enough equipment to do a ful scale cleanup - but there could be an effort to do what can be done. right now they are holding out so they let the problem get worse and then the drama gets deeper.

Although I frequently believe you post just to entertain yourself and see how riled up you can get people, including myself, the above statements unfortunately put you firmly into conspiracy theory territory and that's just sad.

Next time somebody is talking about how 9/11 was caused by GWB and Cheney to start the war, remember this thread.
quade -

Are you able to type this stuff with a straight face? This is already possibly the 3rd worst oil spill in history (2nd worst accidental one). You think 'liberals' want it to get worse before they can use it as an anti drilling example?:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Although I frequently believe you post just to entertain yourself and see how riled up you can get people, including myself, the above statements unfortunately put you firmly into conspiracy theory territory and that's just sad.

Next time somebody is talking about how 9/11 was caused by GWB and Cheney to start the war, remember this thread.

I don't think he is dragging his feet to increase the drama, I think he is dragging his feet because he is to inept to know his resources at hand.

On the flip side he is a great campaigner. He has already started doing what he knows how to do best, make speeches. Here comes Cap and Tax again......:S

I don't think he is dragging his feet to increase the drama, I think he is dragging his feet because he is to inept to know his resources at hand.

Right. Because formulation of a relief plan relies on the President personally crafting it using only his own pre-existing knowledge of the resources available. Yeah.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?