billeisele

14th Amendment - Right to Citizenship

Actually, I was simply asking what relevance Kallend's citizenship has to this thread, or to his post in this thread. Reasonable inquiry, I thought.

Oh yea, it's an ad hominem. I guess it was Kallend who was asking for the source.

Nope. I just quoted some equally ancient wisdom that contradicted the OP's assertion about original intent of the 14th.

How dare you, John. All those taxes you've paid into the US Treasury over the past 30 years as a US resident, and the son of yours the US Army deployed to Iraq, are irrelevant. You're just not morally qualified to comment on this.

So on to the primary issue. Should the child of an an illegal immigrant be granted citizenship?

Yes. It's in the US Constitution and unlike some other Amendments that can be parsed several ways, it's completely unambiguous.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

ALL persons born here are citizens.

Lest anyone think the above paragraph is at odds with the US Constitution; the Constitution wins every time. Again, you might not like it, but there it is none the less.

this is what is troubling, not sure that the child of an illegal meets the - subject to the jurisdiction - test, if the parents are illegal and from country X, then it would seem that the child falls under the jurisdiction of country X, if so they are not citizens of the US

what I don't like is the current interpretation of the 14th, would like to see this tested legally in the proper forum
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I just hope JP brings his "papers" to Eloy the next time he visits! If one of the local punk cops pulls him over for speeding (which as most of us know they do all the time), it could get weird for him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is its plain English meaning, just like the rest of the US Constitution.

All persons born in the United states are citizens of the United states.

Any one who doesn't like it can work to have a 2/3 majority of both House and Senate to propose an amendment and 3/4 of the state legislatures to ratify it.

what I don't like is the current interpretation of the 14th, would like to see this tested legally in the proper forum

By "proper forum" you mean what? The US Supreme Court?

I believe they may have already looked at the issue once or twice.;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_born_citizen_of_the_United_States#Supreme_Court_cases_relating_to_citizenship

Unfortunately for you, they don't seem to see it the way you'd want.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I believe they may have already looked at the issue once or twice.;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_born_citizen_of_the_United_States#Supreme_Court_cases_relating_to_citizenship

Unfortunately for you, they don't seem to see it the way you'd want.

Agreed about their interpretation but it seems they used English common law to get their precedent:

"were within the allegiance, the obedience, the faith or loyalty, the protection, the power, and the jurisdiction of the English sovereign"

In other words when the parents are not citizens, then the citizenship of the child seems to depend on the parents, while not citizens, at least having some "loyalty" or "allegiance" to their adopted country.

It is very hard to see where the child of an illegal alien fits into the framework that the above quote seems to envision.

I think the basic principle here is that if the parents are playing fully by the rules of the country, then the offspring are full citizens even if the parents are not. But if the parents just forced their way in--all bets are off.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

You still don't understand what ad hominem means or how they are used.

Oh please, what is so fucking difficult?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

An ad hominem, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), is an attempt to persuade which links the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise

Diablopilot asked, "John, are you a citizen of the US?"

This was supposed to somehow influence the merits of the argument based upon whether Kallend is or is not a citizen, or, even if it was a rhetorical question. John's citizenship is irrelevant to the point. Andy immediatley made this point, I was thinking it as I read Diablopilot ask.

If you need further clarification, I would be glad to help.

Asking a question is not ad hominem. Using the answere to vilify and/or discredit in the defense of a position may be. Thanks for posting my proof.

Asking a question of a person's citizenship as if to qualify them to be fit to answer the question is an ad hominem to people able to sniff out the real intent behind it.

You have zero fucking idea how he was going use the response. Go dig out your high school logic book and find out what suppositions like yours are classically refereed to as.

Kallend's or anyone's citizenship hs zero purpose other than to say something like: WHT do you know, you're not even an American, or something as brilliant. He hasn't stepped in to clarify, so maybe now he can pipe in to dream up something innocuous.

You have zero fucking idea how he was going use the response. Go dig out your high school logic book and find out what suppositions like yours are classically refereed to as.

Kallend's or anyone's citizenship hs zero purpose other than to say something like: WHT do you know, you're not even an American, or something as brilliant. He hasn't stepped in to clarify, so maybe now he can pipe in to dream up something innocuous.

And here we have mind reading and clarivoyance.

Sweet - Call The psychic Hotline - you have a future in telepsych.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So, everybody's posturing aside, are you a US citizen?

OK, let's cut to the chase. Let's assume he's not, and that he's chosen to retain his UK citizenship while, for the past 30 years as a legal resident of the US, being a productive member of the US society and economy, spending a generation educating budding engineers in the US, paying taxes into the US treasury, raising a family in the US, paying his children's college tuition in the US, and worrying as a father while his son, a member of the US Army Airborne, was deployed to Iraq.

So, everybody's posturing aside, would you kindly now answer the previously-asked question about what relevance John's citizenship has to this thread, or to his posts on the issue?

So, everybody's posturing aside, are you a US citizen?

OK, let's cut to the chase. Let's assume he's not, and that he's chosen to retain his UK citizenship while, for the past 30 years as a legal resident of the US, being a productive member of the US society and economy, spending a generation educating budding engineers in the US, paying taxes into the US treasury, raising a family in the US, paying his children's college tuition in the US, and worrying as a father while his son, a member of the US Army Airborne, was deployed to Iraq.

So, everybody's posturing aside, would you kindly now answer the previously-asked question about what relevance John's citizenship has to this thread, or to his posts on the issue?

Perhaps as an alien living here, he would have a different set of ideas than a person who has gone through the process to legally become a citizen.

An "outsider" willing to stay that way (out of loyalty to his own country or an unwillingness to go through all the bureaucratic hassle) would be coming from a different viewpoint than someone who wants to be a completely integrated part of this country.

I don't see one as better than the other, nor does his citizenship or lack of affect the validity of his views, but it would be nice to know where his views are originating from if he is willing to share that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

if the parents are illegal and from country X, then it would seem that the child falls under the jurisdiction of country X, if so they are not citizens of the US

If that jurisdiction thing applies as you state it, it's going to make it really hard to prosecute the children of illegal immigrants for pretty much any crime, since the US wouldn't have jurisdiction over those people.

if the parents are illegal and from country X, then it would seem that the child falls under the jurisdiction of country X, if so they are not citizens of the US

If that jurisdiction thing applies as you state it, it's going to make it really hard to prosecute the children of illegal immigrants for pretty much any crime, since the US wouldn't have jurisdiction over those people.

Haha!
Nyeah nyea.

Avoidance. You're credibility suffers yet again.

This surprises you? That is his MO. That is how he rolls.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun