ChileRelleno

Not home? Rental? Census Workers enter anyways.

Not home at your rental abode, thats OK Census Workers enter anyways.

http://www.thefoxnation.com/2010-census/2010/05/28/census-workers-can-enter-your-apt-your-absence

The Barr Code
Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence

6:00 am May 26, 2010, by Bob Barr

Thousands of census workers, including many temporary employees, are fanning out across America to gather information on the citizenry. This is a process that takes place not only every decade in order to complete the constitutionally-mandated census; but also as part of the continuing “American Community Survey” conducted by the Census Bureau on a regular basis year in and year out.

What many Americans don’t realize, is that census workers — from the head of the Bureau and the Secretary of Commerce (its parent agency) down to the lowliest and newest Census employee — are empowered under federal law to actually demand access to any apartment or any other type of home or room that is rented out, in order to count persons in the abode and for “the collection of statistics.” If the landlord of such apartment or other leased premises refuses to grant the government worker access to your living quarters, whether you are present or not, the landlord can be fined $500.00.

That’s right — not only can citizens be fined if they fail to answer the increasingly intrusive questions asked of them by the federal government under the guise of simply counting the number of people in the country; but a landlord must give them access to your apartment whether you’re there or not, in order to gather whatever “statistics” the law permits.

In fact, some census workers apparently are going even further and demanding — and receiving — private cell phone numbers from landlords in order to call tenants and obtain information from them. Isn’t it great to live in a “free” country?

http://www.huliq.com/8738/can-census-workers-enter-your-home-without-your-permission

Census workers can't enter your home without permission

Readers of former U.S. Rep Bob Barr's (R-Ga.) blog "The Barr Code" at ajc.com might be forgiven for believing they can. After all, the headline on his May 26 entry flatly states, "Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence." But it just so happens that this flat statement is flat-out wrong.

Barr's blog goes on to state that census workers can demand access to individual living quarters to count residents and collect statistics, and that any owner, landlord or agent who refuses to grant that access can be fined $500. Citizens, he adds, can also be fined for failing to answer the "increasingly intrusive" questions on the census.

The only true statement in the above summary of what Barr wrote is that the fine for failing to cooperate with the decennial census count is $500. The rest of the summary, and the blog entry itself, is either twisted out of shape or grossly exaggerated.

The section of the Federal law governing the census does state that landlords and owners must give census workers access to apartment buildings, hotels, rooming houses, and similar facilities (including gated communities by inference), or provide the names of residents inside them, upon request, with a $500 fine for any owner who refuses to do either. The law does not permit, nor does the Census Bureau instruct, census workers to enter apartments or other dwellings in the absence of the inhabitants. In fact, census takers are trained not to enter residences even when the residents invite them in. The fine -- $25 at the time of the first census in 1790, $500 now -- is almost never levied against anyone.

I did not want to believe this article... Thankfully, its been thoroughly debunked.

Shame on Barr/Fox.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

The only two problems I see are; Bob Barr is an idiot and his information is completely false. Three if you want to count his stirring up shit on a Friday before Memorial Day weekend when people in the US Census Department are going to be gone and not able to respond to this bullshit before next Tuesday. Four if you also want to count FoxNews for not fact checking.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Debunk with facts &links and I'll happily delete it.

Gimme a few minutes to track down the actual regulations, but don't take the thread down. It should stay as a stunning example of Barr's foolishness.
quade -

Debunk with facts &links and I'll happily delete it.

http://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8754&p_created=1272651145&p_sid=xJf8721k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjQsMjQmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdoYXQgaWYgSSdtIG5vdCBob21l&p_li=&p_topview=1

Census 2010: Not Home When Census Taker Visits
Question
What if I'm not home when the census taker visits?

Answer
If you are not at home, the census taker will make up to two return visits to try to reach you at home, and will leave a callback notice with information on how you can contact them to either schedule a visit for the interview, or provide the information on the phone. In some cases, the census taker might ask your neighbor for the best time to reach you at home, or if they could provide a telephone number for you.

I'm all about bashing the government bureaucracy, but I'm pretty sure this is false. I'm certain that there is no law on the books that magically removed the Fourth Amendment.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

http://www.huliq.com/8738/can-census-workers-enter-your-home-without-your-permission

Census workers can't enter your home without permission

Readers of former U.S. Rep Bob Barr's (R-Ga.) blog "The Barr Code" at ajc.com might be forgiven for believing they can. After all, the headline on his May 26 entry flatly states, "Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence." But it just so happens that this flat statement is flat-out wrong.

Barr's blog goes on to state that census workers can demand access to individual living quarters to count residents and collect statistics, and that any owner, landlord or agent who refuses to grant that access can be fined $500. Citizens, he adds, can also be fined for failing to answer the "increasingly intrusive" questions on the census.

The only true statement in the above summary of what Barr wrote is that the fine for failing to cooperate with the decennial census count is $500. The rest of the summary, and the blog entry itself, is either twisted out of shape or grossly exaggerated.

The section of the Federal law governing the census does state that landlords and owners must give census workers access to apartment buildings, hotels, rooming houses, and similar facilities (including gated communities by inference), or provide the names of residents inside them, upon request, with a $500 fine for any owner who refuses to do either. The law does not permit, nor does the Census Bureau instruct, census workers to enter apartments or other dwellings in the absence of the inhabitants. In fact, census takers are trained not to enter residences even when the residents invite them in. The fine -- $25 at the time of the first census in 1790, $500 now -- is almost never levied against anyone.

I did not want to believe this article... Thankfully, its been thoroughly debunked.

Shame on Barr/Fox.

First of all, it was the Atlanta Journal Constitution that carried it first...;)
Make light!

Shame on Barr/Fox.

First of all, it was the Atlanta Journal Constitution that carried it first...;)

You're not denying that FoxNews didn't fact check it though are you?
quade -

Shame on Barr/Fox.

You're not denying that FoxNews didn't fact check it though are you?

Actually, I am. It is linked through foxnation, which is their "forums" of sorts. And I was actually wrong in stating the AJC carried it first, it was on their blog too...so while I don't deny Barr wrote it, and has a column with AJC...the fact that some clown blogged it on foxnation isn't much of a surprise to me.
Make light!

With regards to Foxnation, who would that blogger be if not FoxNews itself? Every comment has a name attached and when I blog stuff, my name always gets attached as well. In this case it looks like FoxNews posted the item. I will admit though that it may be the case where Bob Barr's blog is simply duplicated on the site automatically, but even then one would normally expect to see the original blogger's name, in this case Bob Barr, attached as a by-line so there's no confusion.
quade -

In fact, census takers are trained not to enter residences even when the residents invite them in.

My son was a Census worker, this is how he was trained.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

In fact, census takers are trained not to enter residences even when the residents invite them in.

My son was a Census worker, this is how he was trained.

Judging from your picture you aren't old enough to have a son who is old enough to be a census worker. :)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.