Amazon

What are YOU reading.....

Right now????

I found this to be mildly fun.:)Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free

Book Description
The Culture Wars Are Over and the Idiots Have Won.

A veteran journalist's acidically funny, righteously angry lament about the glorification of ignorance in the United States.

In the midst of a career-long quest to separate the smart from the pap, Charles Pierce had a defining moment at the Creation Museum in Kentucky, where he observed a dinosaur. Wearing a saddle... But worse than this was when the proprietor exclaimed to a cheering crowd, “We are taking the dinosaurs back from the evolutionists!” He knew then and there it was time to try and salvage the Land of the Enlightened, buried somewhere in this new Home of the Uninformed.

With his razor-sharp wit and erudite reasoning, Pierce delivers a gut-wrenching, side-splitting lament about the glorification of ignorance in the United States, and how a country founded on intellectual curiosity has somehow deteriorated into a nation of simpletons more apt to vote for an American Idol contestant than a presidential candidate.

With Idiot America, Pierce's thunderous denunciation is also a secret call to action, as he hopes that somehow, being intelligent will stop being a stigma, and that pinheads will once again be pitied, not celebrated.

Recent books:

Big Dead Place (good but very odd, about Antarctica)
MEG: Hell's Aquarium (as bad as it sounds, bought it in ATL when I got stuck there for 10 hours)
Bone Shop, part of a series by Tim Pratt. Sort of a more gritty, R-rated Harry Potter.

Just finished the last of the Sword of Truth series . . . I'm taking a break from reading -

but I am thinking about starting Off Armageddon Reef by David Webber
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Currently: "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell.

Recently completed: "The Tipping Point" by Gladwell

On deck: "Courage and Consequence" by Karl Rove; "Because They Hate: A Survivor of Islamic Terror Warns America" by Brigitte Gabriel; and a few others that are in the "stack"...one about Freddy Mercury, and I'm thinking of re-reading an old Clancy novel just to feed some candy to the brain...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Most of the books I read tend to be instructional books. Just finished Story by Robert McKee. I also read a lot of screenplays, the last one was The Apartment by by Billy Wilder & I.A.L. Diamond.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ONE NATION UNDER THERAPY
How the Helping Culture Is Eroding Self-Reliance

by

Christina Hoff Summers
and
Sally Satel, MD
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Look at the amount of gossip magazines, reality television shows, etc... all discussing people.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes
http://www.amazon.com/How-Economy-Grows-Why-Crashes/dp/047052670X
by Peter Schiff

How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes uses illustration, humor, and accessible storytelling to explain complex topics of economic growth and monetary systems. In it, economic expert and bestselling author of Crash Proof, Peter Schiff teams up with his brother Andrew to apply their signature "take no prisoners" logic to expose the glaring fallacies that have become so ingrained in our country’s economic conversation.
Inspired by How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn’t—a previously published book by the Schiffs’ father Irwin, a widely published economist and activist—How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes incorporates the spirit of the original while tackling the latest economic issues.With wit and humor, the Schiffs explain the roots of economic growth, the uses of capital, the destructive nature of consumer credit, the source of inflation, the importance of trade, savings, and risk, and many other topical principles of economics.

The tales told here may appear simple of the surface, but they will leave you with a powerful understanding of How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes.

Very powerful in terms of dispelling long-held misbeliefs about economics, I highly recommend it.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

"Arsenals of Folly" by Richard Rhodes.

He got a well-deserved Pulitzer Prize for "The Making of the Atom Bomb," and "Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" was positively brilliant.

His latest opus is a worthy follow-up to the first two.

I am about to start reading the book my mom just sent me:
The Class of '42: Marines in WW II

It is written by a man who was in the same company as my grandfather, so his experience in the war may have been similar. She even sent me a detailed timeline from his service record, along with a chapter by chapter description of what my grandfather would have been doing at that time. Pretty cool. :)