Gawain

Al Gore's New $8.875M Monticello Villa

>if he was really genuine, he would do all that, but in an average sized
>home, and have only one. if that were the case, think of how much
>electricity he could put onto the grid for everyone else, reducing the
>amount of coal TVA had to burn to generate power.

Wow, I feel like such a fraud. I generate all my own power, but I have a big screen TV, two PC's and a laptop. I used to think that taking care of my own power needs without burning any fossil fuels was a reasonable thing to do, but now I realize I am a hypocrite because I don't have enough roof space for that many panels, and I don't live in a tent and donate all that power to my neighbors. Not sure I can live with myself after this latest revelation.

Wow, I feel like such a fraud. I generate all my own power, but I have a big screen TV, two PC's and a laptop. I used to think that taking care of my own power needs without burning any fossil fuels was a reasonable thing to do, but now I realize I am a hypocrite because I don't have enough roof space for that many panels, and I don't live in a tent and donate all that power to my neighbors. Not sure I can live with myself after this latest revelation.

Good grief...B|. Bill, do you parade around the world on private jets telling everyone the world is on the verge of disaster and that everyone needs to change their ways RIGHT NOW, while you continue to fly around on private jets, have more than one home and consuming 20-100 times the energy of the average American?

No?

Or, do you, believing in being a good steward of this planets resources, and making a good living (thus having the ability to invest heavily), are able to invest in resources that have now enabled your home to put power back into the grid, utilize a gray-water system, et al? Do you trumpet this at the mountain tops, or simply live your life the best way you feel you should?

Do you see the difference?

Do you believe that there are others that take similar action, but don't share the view of Al Gore, they just believe in being good stewards?

Some things are unavoidable. The internal combustion engine is going to be around for a long long long time. Use of fossil fuels is going to continue. Despite your huge efforts, even you cannot stop consuming them.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If you had his income, would you be able to afford more roof space?

The point here is that IF HE WAS GENUINE about it. You do what your income allows for - he doesn't.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This is not about any poster here vs. Al Gore - it is AL Gore vs What he preaches. You should be able to argue that, correct?

Has he preached abstaining from using energy? NO

Has he said to give up air travel? NO

Has he said all people must use the same amount of energy? NO

Has he said people must live in small houses? NO

Has he said you must give up skydiving? NO

Has he said we should all reduce the amount of non renewable energy we use? YES

Has he reduced the amount of non-renewable energy he uses? YES

Has he said we should reduce our carbon footprint? YES

Has he reduced his carbon footprint? YES

If you are going to call someone a hypocrite for saying one thing and doing another, make sure you compare what they actually say with what they actually do, and not some right wing blogger's version.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

and only partially true when it was written.

Well, since he is only partially guilty, then it's OK.

WE call something partially true a "half truth". Half truths are generally meant to deceive or mislead.

There's a good reason that the WHOLE truth and NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH is required to convict. Certainly these half truths have mislead a lot of right wingers here.

>another reminder - solar panels have to be constructed. Same with wind
>mills, which do kill off birds.

Same with coal fired power plants, which have to be constructed, kill a lot of birds (and people) while running and then require millions of tons of fossil fuels a year for their entire operational life. Solar and wind plants, once constructed, do not require fuel to operate.

No power source is perfect. Some are better than others.

nice of you to clip the key sentence out before replying to me. I'll take that as agreement that 600kwh/day is not green, is instead wasteful.

>another reminder - solar panels have to be constructed. Same with wind
>mills, which do kill off birds.

Same with coal fired power plants, which have to be constructed, kill a lot of birds (and people) while running and then require millions of tons of fossil fuels a year for their entire operational life. Solar and wind plants, once constructed, do not require fuel to operate.

No power source is perfect. Some are better than others.

nice of you to clip the key sentence out before replying to me. I'll take that as agreement that 600kwh/day is not green, is instead wasteful.

Where in the post he quoted (#143) did you mention 600kWh/day?

Whether or not 600kWh/day is wasteful depends on (a) the source, and (b) a value judgment on the use to which it is put.

LEED ratings don't mean a whole bunch to me.

Oh dear!:o

So what would you propose instead? The opinions of FOX News commentators?

why do you think I worship fox news? when did I last quote them? Holy assumptions batman!

I don't have an answer or a proposal for a better system. But having talked with people on the inside of that system, who tell me it's mostly worthless, I believe it is.

So your pithy comments aside, I see no evidence to the contrary.
--
Rob

John:

Gore didn't follow his own advice. He followed the advice/criticism of others that maybe he should follow his own advice.

He had that massive house for a long time. He used massive amoiunts of non-renewable and dirty energy for years. All while he was preaching the gospel.

"We saw Al Gore two years ago. Al Gore is who we THOUGHT HE WAS! AND WE LET HIM OFF THE HOOK! IF YOU WANNA CROWN HIM THEB CROWN HIS ASS."

Al Gore actually reminds me of myself in high school. I could never be the best student. I could always be a great student. But I wanted some recognition. So I'd pull a C-minus average the first semester and pull it up to a 3.9 or 4.0 second semester. I was "Most Improved" three years out of four.

God - I was awesome!

So, I will recognize Al Gore as being "the most improved residential polluter in the US for year 2009."

I'll also recognize him for, "most public atonement for hypocricy of 2009."

So we can agree on that.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

[Quote]

Has he preached abstaining from using energy? NO

He has said that we should decrease our energy usage. He said this for twenty years while he was increasing his.

He won a Nobel Peace Prize. Yassir Arafat won a Nobel Peace Prize for being a really swell guy by temporarily ceasing the murder of innocent people - very temporarily. Gore wins a Peace Prize for environmental activism while doing his damnedest to personal make sure that he is making sure he's got something to complain about. It's why he buys carbon credits from himself.

[Quote] Has he said to give up air travel? NO

He argues for less unnecessary energy usage and for usage of renewable resources. Private jets are neither. A private jets is the incandescent bulb of travel.

[Quote] Has he said all people must use the same amount of energy? NO
He's said we all must use less. He was saying this while using more energy than a carbon sink farming community in Iowa.

[Reply] Has he said people must live in small houses? NO

He has said that we must get by with less. The future depends on it.

[Reply] Has he said you must give up skydiving? NO

Of course not. Though it is an activity that he would hope to price all but the welathiest out of.

[Reply] Has he said we should all reduce the amount of non renewable energy we use? YES

Agreed. He's been saying that since before he wrote "Earth in the Balance."

[Reply] Has he reduced the amount of non-renewable energy he uses? YES

His non-renewable energy use increased more rapidly that atmosopheric CO2 concentrations since he wrote Earth in the Balance. So he started reducing his energy use to pre 2006 levels. Bravo. Jimmy Swaggart decreased his whore usage since 1988, to pre 1977 levels. Mark Foley decreased his homosexual cyber-predation of juveniles over the past couple of years, too. Yeah. Foley, like Gore, practices what he preaches - finally kinda sorta maybe....

[Reply] Has he said we should reduce our carbon footprint? YES

Agreed. Has Kirstie Alley said we should lose weight? Yes.

[Reply] Has he reduced his carbon footprint? YES

Has Kirstie Alley lost weight? Yes. She's down to 270 now. Kinda like Gore. Sure, he weighed a svelte 185 when he started arguing to reduce, and he's lost 50 pounds in the last year, now weighing a much improved 425. It's a big step for the guy.

John - should he ever have been where he was in 2008 if he wasn't a hyprocrite? 20 years of hypocrisy sets a tone. I'll start giving him some deference if he behaves for 10 years. But he's got a lot of making up to do, in my book.

[Reply]If you are going to call someone a hypocrite for saying one thing and doing another, make sure you compare what they actually say with what they actually do

Negative. Make sure you compare what they actually say with what they actually DID. "I'm neither a cheater nor a homosexual. I ended my 20 year-long gay affair last year." Gore ended his 20 year pattern of acting contrary to his pronouncements last year. He is not presently hypocritical?

John - you are really stretching.

And billvon - I don't think Gore is worthy of shining your shoes. Your actions speak more loudly than your words. Leonardo DiCaprio's actions speak more loudly than his words. Billvon DOES is and says, "here's how you can do it, too."

Gore says, "here's what you should be doing." Then he does something else until the heat sets in.

What Gore did for decades despite what he said is inexcusable. Period. The environmental havoc he's been causing is presently being mitigated.

Preventing future harm does not mean he didn't cause harm in the past. His wasn't mere negligence. His massive use of non-renewable and carbon-polluting energy was deliberate.

But, on the other side, I respect his brilliant entrepeneurial skill. He calls himself "carbon neutral" because "carbon credits" are purchased for him from his company. Sheer friggin genius.

My wife is hotter than your wife.