catfishhunter

Lights Out LA..I say HELL YA

The reference to terrorism was there, obviously, but it was just as obvious to me that it wasn't to be considered as one of the reasons for his comments.

It was an attempt to justify the law. To plant the seed, "yes, this is one of the reasons it's a good idea." That's pretty much the only reason that type of sentence construction is used during any debate. Otherwise, why "not mention" or "not talk" about something?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The reference to terrorism was there, obviously, but it was just as obvious to me that it wasn't to be considered as one of the reasons for his comments.

It was an attempt to justify the law. To plant the seed, "yes, this is one of the reasons it's a good idea." That's pretty much the only reason that type of sentence construction is used during any debate. Otherwise, why "not mention" or "not talk" about something?

The one thing he disqualified is the only one that you recognized.

" I am not even talking about terrorism."

I understood that as, even though it would be a viable option in and of it's self, It has nothing to do with my argument at this time.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I am overjoyed to not be living in the state of California anymore. It gets a bit tiresome to continually be surrounded by people who's bodies live in the United States of America, but brains seem to live somewhere past Pluto.

The whole state has "Jumped the Shark".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I understood that as, even though it would be a viable option in and of it's self, It has nothing to do with my argument at this time.

I have a feeling the concept of subtext eludes you.
quade -

I have a feeling the concept of plain English eludes you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I agree that everyone should get the opportunity to live here in the U.S. if they want.....but we have to much at stake know days to just let people roam across the borders.

Great! Secure the border and deal with terrorists. However, that's not actually what this bill is about; is it?

Show me in the text of the bill what you think it's about.

You're hung up on a race card here methinks.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If a person thinks words and sentence construction only ever means what it literally says, then perhaps that does explain their simplistic view of the world.

My personal feeling is this is perhaps the case with as much as 33% of the population. To them, "The Old Man and the Sea" is about a guy that goes fishing and "Moby Dick" is just a story about a whale.
quade -

No - it just doesn't really apply here.

Even though it is a viable option and more than good enough to close the borders on it's own, terrorism was not included in his reasoning.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

If a person thinks words and sentence construction only ever means what it literally says, then perhaps that does explain their simplistic view of the world.

Heaven fucking forbid that someones says what they mean and stand behind it without hiding behind semantic "wiggle room"

I get the feeling my return will be short lived B|B|B|
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Heaven fucking forbid that someones says what they mean and stand behind it without hiding behind semantic "wiggle room"

Are you sure? Do you believe in God? Do you believe EVERY word in the Bible means exactly what it says? In plain speech and without subtext or allegory? Without any ambiguity?

Yes, heaven forbid indeed.
quade -

What part of "I am NOT even talking about terrorism" gave you the difficulty?

That's a bit like when a person says, "Not to mention, you're an idiot." Yes, he really IS mentioning it.

Talk about subtext . . .

I see this a s a veiled personal attack -

Your One Warning - Knock it Off!

And if a person thinks that a simple statement MUST have some sort of hidden context that only they can detect, then perhaps that does explain their delusional view of the world.

My personal feeling is this is perhaps the case with as much as 33% of the population. To them, "The Old Man and the Sea" is about a guy that goes fishing and "Moby Dick" is just a story about a whale.

Pro-tip: "I am not even talking about terrorism" does NOT equal "Call me Ishmael".
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

But, "Let's deflect from the subject" does mean "I really don't have a valid leg to stand on"

Arrgh, you be talking like a pirate and that failboat set sail before this discussion be started.
quade -

But, "Let's deflect from the subject" does mean "I really don't have a valid leg to stand on"

Arrgh, you be talking like a pirate and that failboat set sail before this discussion be started.

I believe the subtext here is, "I have no valid point." with an even deeper underscoring of, ". . . and I am deperately trying to cover my ass, because it has been made to be the fool again."

Deflection is fun, boys and girls!

Pro-tip: "I am not even talking about terrorism" does NOT equal "Call me Ishmael".

Um...ahem...that would be me... :D:D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You have one valid leg . . . left . . . nope - left one ios gone - is that why you lean to the right?:o

:):D:D

You have one valid leg . . . left . . . nope - left one ios gone - is that why you lean to the right?:o

LMAO...my left leg is fake...so, leaning left is clearly insincere and false... :D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

LMAO...my left leg is fake...so, leaning left is clearly insincere and false... :D:D

Of course it is - That is obvious because it is government issued!

LMAO...my left leg is fake...so, leaning left is clearly insincere and false..

I never thought I'd say this on here-especially to you but

Screw you!!! You just made me spit V8 all over my keyboard. I'll never get it cleaned:P:P:P:P:P:D:D:D:D:D
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

California: surrounded by people who's bodies live in the United States of America, but brains seem to live somewhere past Pluto.

The whole state has "Jumped the Shark".

With your kind permission:
:D:D:D

Screw you LA!
You have no business even mumbling about what AZ is doing here.

I'd LOVE to see the lights go out in SoCal.
Every welfare family in the state needs a new couch and some new appliances and stuff and they haven't had a good mid-city bonfire party in quite a while.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239