kallend

UK Election

Looks like the predictions of a hung parliament were accurate.

yes and now the fun begins! The pound is well down and the stock markets down 3.5%
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I just wonder how long it will take the people who voted conservative to regret it and the people who didn't vote (all 30% of them) to regret not voting

Honestly for all of their faults I don't think we have any alternative to the conservatives. For all of Gordons cries of being the savious HE got us into this mess in the first place.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I like the American system of resolving a hung election: let it be decided by a Supreme Court appointed by the candidate's father, based on "results" fabricated by a state run by the candidate's brother. Then call it "democracy". Then bend over, grab your ankles, and say "Thank you, Sir; may I have another?"

Democracy- a lovely euphemism for buggery.

I just wonder how long it will take the people who voted conservative to regret it and the people who didn't vote (all 30% of them) to regret not voting

I don't follow UK politics so
Why would people regret voting conservative over there?

Is it like those regretting their Obama vote over here? You didn't get what you thought you were getting?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Is it like those regretting their Obama vote over here?

Serious answer: No, it's like regretting their Bush vote over here.

As an aside, it would be great if a mere 30% of Americans failed to vote. The things we take for granted...

As an aside, it would be great if a mere 30% of Americans failed to vote. The things we take for granted...

Bush got it twice so your spin is wrong
Unless Obama gets in twice which right now is a fat chance
As for the mere 30%?

I agree
Abraham Lincoln

Honestly for all of their faults I don't think we have any alternative to the conservatives. For all of Gordons cries of being the savious HE got us into this mess in the first place.

Really? Because last time I checked, the rest of the world was on a very similar sinking boat to ours. Are you saying Brown is responsible for them too? Don't get me wrong (and this goes for you too rushmc), I'm not saying either Brown or Labour are perfect and I'm not implying the Conservatives are the epitome of all evil. In fact I think I have more conservative traits than liberal ones (schooling, healthcare, business economy & defence to name a few), but looking back over the past half century Labour governments have generally been far more successful that Tory ones and I see no indication of this one being any different.

Really? Because last time I checked, the rest of the world was on a very similar sinking boat to ours. Are you saying Brown is responsible for them too? Don't get me wrong (and this goes for you too rushmc), I'm not saying either Brown or Labour are perfect and I'm not implying the Conservatives are the epitome of all evil. In fact I think I have more conservative traits than liberal ones (schooling, healthcare, business economy & defence to name a few), but looking back over the past half century Labour governments have generally been far more successful that Tory ones and I see no indication of this one being any different.

Successful how?
(serious question to get on the same page with you)
Abraham Lincoln

As for the mere 30%?

I agree

Exactly, Bush was in for 8 years.

Obama's been in for 1. At least give the man a chance to fuck up before you start damning him.

Now stop thread hijacking ;)

As for the mere 30%?

I agree

Exactly, Bush was in for 8 years.

Obama's been in for 1. At least give the man a chance to fuck up before you start damning him.

Now stop thread hijacking ;)

:D:D
Ok ok
Abraham Lincoln

Successful how?
(serious question to get on the same page with you)

Labour has generally been the more stable party over the past 50 years. Apart from the winter of discontent (which lead to ever more rioting in the Thatcher era) the largest economic depressions the country has seen have been under Conservative governments, the current one notwithstanding. Labour have also shown more 'progressive reform', if you want to use that phrase, such as the legalisation of homosexuality & abortion under Wilson in the 60's (I think).

All that being said, I do think Conservative govts have always shown better business sense, as well as the things I mentioned in an earlier post.

edited for spelling

Some good news at least; that flabby fuckwit Nick Griffin being told to fuck off back to his beer cellar by Margaret Hodge in Barking. (That and his tribe of brawling morons losing all of their council seats. Excellent).

Some good news at least; that flabby fuckwit Nick Griffin being told to fuck off back to his beer cellar by Margaret Hodge in Barking. (That and his tribe of brawling morons losing all of their council seats. Excellent).

Even though they got more votes than the Greens (who have a seat), Plaid Cyrmu & Sinn Fein combined. Gotta love the UK election system :D

Yes I believe that as Chancellor Gordon was very good at "hiding" our financial problems in terms of clever manipulation of borrowing figures. It doesn't take a genius to figure that you can't borrow forever.

I also believe that economies have significant inertia and that unfortunately electoral cycles are quite good at masking underlying changes. For example I believe that the damage that labour has done to the economy will take years to turn around (and to be honest I think the worst is still to come), during this time whoever is in power will get caned for the crap economic situation. If their policies are good, then in 5 to 10 years time we will see a turnaround probably just in time for the next crowd to get the credit.

Under labour unemployment has been low - but the size of the public sector has ballooned to the point where something in the region of 50-60% of the jobs in the north are public sector jobs - that is unsustainable.

That said I am just a bloody foreigner and two thirds of my staff voted UKIP cause they are sick of "bloody foreigners coming here and telling us what to do!":P:o

All that being said, I do think Conservative govts have always shown better business sense, as well as the things I mentioned in an earlier post.

edited for spelling

I don't think the MacMillan/Hume govts of the early 60s showed much business sense, and Ed. Heath certainly misjudged badly the mood of the country over the miners.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

edited for spelling

I don't think the MacMillan/Hume govts of the early 60s showed much business sense, and Ed. Heath certainly misjudged badly the mood of the country over the miners.

Though the Heath issue misses the point, it being a matter of the Home Office not the Chancellors, the same could be argued about Callaghan in the 70's and the situation that became apparent at the end of Blair's glory days. The sad truth is that politics is about picking the lesser of two evils. Or maybe I'm just getting cynical in my youth :P

Yes I believe that as Chancellor Gordon was very good at "hiding" our financial problems in terms of clever manipulation of borrowing figures. It doesn't take a genius to figure that you can't borrow forever.

I also believe that economies have significant inertia and that unfortunately electoral cycles are quite good at masking underlying changes. For example I believe that the damage that labour has done to the economy will take years to turn around (and to be honest I think the worst is still to come), during this time whoever is in power will get caned for the crap economic situation. If their policies are good, then in 5 to 10 years time we will see a turnaround probably just in time for the next crowd to get the credit.

Under labour unemployment has been low - but the size of the public sector has ballooned to the point where something in the region of 50-60% of the jobs in the north are public sector jobs - that is unsustainable.

That said I am just a bloody foreigner and two thirds of my staff voted UKIP cause they are sick of "bloody foreigners coming here and telling us what to do!"

What can I say, people have a short memory. But in the same breath you could argue that Brown as a Chancellor is being blamed for thing that wern't entirely within his control. After all, the only way we could have avoided this particular recession is if we were entirely economically independent from the rest of the world. On a smaller scale, compare the relative economies of the Republic of Ireland (€) & the UK (£). Ireland is far worse off because they cannot devalue their currency as it is tied into Europe.

...I seem to have forgotten what my point was :S[:/]:D

Because conservative's expect you to get a job and work. Britain has alot of people on the "dole". IMO, it's pretty appalling.

How does it compare to the US? Right now the unemployment rate in the UK is +/- 8%, while in the US it's around 9.5%. How many in each of those two respective groups are on (a) short-term unemployment comp, (b) long-term welfare, (c) neither?

How does it compare to the US? Right now the unemployment rate in the UK is +/- 8%, while in the US it's around 9.5%. How many in each of those two respective groups are on (a) short-term unemployment comp, (b) long-term welfare, (c) neither?

Do you actually believe any numbers coming out of Western Democracies these days? Have you ever been to Britain?
We are all engines of karma

Do you actually believe any numbers coming out of Western Democracies these days? Have you ever been to Britain?

[Regis Philbin]

Is that your final answer?

[/Regis Philbin]

Looks like the predictions of a hung parliament were accurate.

Wow nobody has anything to say on the UK election - surely JR has some interesting tidbits, now that we are like Somalia without a government in place. Maybe gun crime will go down and sharia law be declared:D

As for the American Country cousins not saying owt... well most of them don't know that there ARE other countries:P:).

I have a gut feeling that we're in for a coalition of the losers (Lib/Lab Pact II) - which will be a disaster for the country, as it will essentially be a No-Change government when the majority of the country voted for change.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome