Gawain

President Obama's Flinch on Immigration Reform

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/30/AR2010043001389_pf.html

It's a lot of editorializing, but it brings up some interesting points. Killing immigration reform now will kill the cap and tax bill as well. What other major components of legislation are there besides the finance reform/Wall Street slap? That's not a shoe-in either.

If the healthcare legislation had truly been a collaborative effort, the remainders of President Obama's agenda would not be withering on the vine. As a matter of fact, there was more bi-partisan opposition to the healthcare reform...but I digress.

Seeing how things have been tainted, it looks to me like a slow six months of nothing before the election, which could end up being the democrat's best play, less for everyone else to get chapped over...hmmm...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/30/AR2010043001389_pf.html

It's a lot of editorializing, but it brings up some interesting points. Killing immigration reform now will kill the cap and tax bill as well. What other major components of legislation are there besides the finance reform/Wall Street slap? That's not a shoe-in either.

If the healthcare legislation had truly been a collaborative effort, the remainders of President Obama's agenda would not be withering on the vine. As a matter of fact, there was more bi-partisan opposition to the healthcare reform...but I digress.

Seeing how things have been tainted, it looks to me like a slow six months of nothing before the election, which could end up being the democrat's best play, less for everyone else to get chapped over...hmmm...

You are right on most points, but I fail to see the connection to cap and trade ( I think you misspoke when you said "cap and tax...).
As I understand it, "cap and trade" is a program whereby those who utilize capped, finite, resources sell what they don't use ( their "credits" so to speak) to those companies that need a little more than the capped allowance. It is a win/win, and it will force overly consumptive companies to use their money wisely toward sustainable growth and earth-friendly consumption.
How does this tie in with illegal immigrants?

Thanks in advance for the clarification (I'm a learning sponge/geek),
Blue skies! Jeannie
can I borrow a jump ticket real quick?

You are far more forgiving than I was http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3852949;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

At a time when we need to address this issue he backs away...no, runs away because he knows he will lose bigtime.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

That's not a shoe-in either.

That's what you said about HC.

If the healthcare legislation had truly been a collaborative effort, the remainders of President Obama's agenda would not be withering on the vine.

Oh, like the tax cuts your party shoved down our throats via reconcilliation in the GWB years? Yeaaaaaaaaa, riiiiiight. :S Keep pretending that your party has a chance until they acknowledge America thinks they suck. All this BS does is to ensure that the young vote keeps coming out and registering. BTW, how did those tax cuts workout?

As a matter of fact, there was more bi-partisan opposition to the healthcare reform...but I digress.

No there wasn't or it wouldn't have passed. 34 Dem Representatives voted against while 219 voted for: as I've said, not bad guys - just bad at math :D.

Hell, why do anything while the R's are shooting themsleves in the feet? Except move out of the way. Nazizona R's need a big hug/kiss from me; thx for ensuring we hold seats in Nov - just keep rallying the Hispanic vote, the minority vote, the young vote, etc. A big SHOUT OUT; I said holla :D

You are right on most points, but I fail to see the connection to cap and trade ( I think you misspoke when you said "cap and tax...).
As I understand it, "cap and trade" is a program whereby those who utilize capped, finite, resources sell what they don't use ( their "credits" so to speak) to those companies that need a little more than the capped allowance. It is a win/win, and it will force overly consumptive companies to use their money wisely toward sustainable growth and earth-friendly consumption.
How does this tie in with illegal immigrants?

Thanks in advance for the clarification (I'm a learning sponge/geek),
Blue skies! Jeannie

If you read the article more carefully, you'll see that they are tying in the immigration reform to other initiatives as follows:

First, on 30 April, there was legislation that was to be introduced by Senate Democrats requiring a national ID program for all workers in the US (which I cited here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3852720;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread). In the Washington Post article I tied in here, President Obama, in less than a week did another about-face on immigration reform and told reporters that the legislation was essentially dead.

One hopeful piece to help the democrats through this was Senator Graham (R-SC), who was working with democrats on Cap-and-tax and immigration reform. However, Senator Reid started yanking him around with the finance reform bill so Sen. Graham stopped working with Senators Schumer, Lieberman, and Kerry, and everything stalled. Republicans finally cleared the way for the finance reform bill to enter debate, but that fight still is not over.

On top of that, President Obama pulled the rug out from under the other democrats feet on their own immigration reform bill. That places the rest of the President's agenda in jeopardy.

To your other point about cap-and-tax, I did not mistype. What you failed to mention is that after those carbon-credits are given away and traded amongst the marketplace, there are fewer and fewer credits available with each passing year. Failure to meet the reduced levels constitutes an additional tax on those entities. We're not just talking about coal companies and refineries that would get pinched by this. Even your small sole-proprietor gets the shaft on this, based on how old his work truck/van is, what kind of light-bulbs he uses in his workshop. It also allows inspection of homes for "compliance". It is not a win/win. President Obama is on the record that prices would "necessarily skyrocket" under his "plan". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hi, Gawain,
Sorry it has taken so long for the response (sometimes I wish all my babberings had an e-mail ding for follow-up...).

You said this: "...there are fewer and fewer credits available with each passing year. Failure to meet the reduced levels constitutes an additional tax on those entities."

...and I want to replace your words with perfect harmony by saying, "there are fewer and fewer finite resources available with each passing year. Failure to meet those levels will result in a sooner end to our world."
Lemme guess: you litter and spit on flowers, too. :D
Blue skies!
Jeannie
can I borrow a jump ticket real quick?