wmw999

Which is worst?

Yeah, I'm trying to make a point. But we can talk about it anyway.

A similar question would be "who is the biggest loss: astronaut, police office, soldier?"

Do different classes of innocent people have different inherent worths?

Note: the lack of a "multiple votes allowed" is deliberate.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've got splinters from sitting on the fence on this one..

I say they are equally placed.... with the possible exception of the abortion.. IF the mothers life is in danger.

Otherwise the only way to separate them is if I knew (and liked) the folks involved.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You missed a category Wendy, 'victim of corporate manslaughter'

In answer to a person's worth, in terms of dollars and risk/cost justification to preserve a life or avoid a fatality, different classes of people have different worths, and that worth also varies depending on location and political context. A lot also depends on the manner of the fatality. If the fatality draws media attention and subsequent loss of reputation to those responsible its a lot more costly, in dollar terms.

It is,an uncomfortable truth.

Don't mind me I'm just passing by....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I have a hard time choosing because so many have their similarities. But I think that there a couple of things that I am reasoning through:
(1) There is little difference between the bystander in war and bystander in a drive by. Both are collateral to intended target - who was intended to be killed.
(2) The innocent victim of a drunk driver is the one where no apparent intent to kill was stated.
(3) The fetus and the execution target were both the intended targets.

The factors that bring me to the innocent victim of an execution are:
(1) He/She is the only one of those being punished;
(2) He/She was deliberately wronged by a government; and
(3) The kicker is that the execution victim knows in advance the date and time of his/her death, knowing that he/she didn't do it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"A similar question would be "who is the biggest loss: astronaut, police office, soldier?"

How much was spent on the rectifying the Challenger mistakes, vs how much would te tax payer pay to avoid losing the lives of 7 marines?

Is the worth measured in terms of the value of human life, or dollar nvestment in the individual?

I was passing through, but I stopped for a beer.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

nacmacfeegle!!!!!

long time, man...!!!!!

good to hear from you...
how have you been?????

as to wendys poll.....
my vote would be

execution of an innocent..

because each one of the choices can be said to be covered by THAT choice....

since we never know what good or bad a person may do during the course of ones' life... it's difficult to say that one person, or one persons' job, rank, status etc.. is of greater importance than anothers...
loss of life , is generally a bad thing....
especially the loss of a GOOD persons' life...

jmy

The fetus has been determined not to be a person and that is a protection of teh mother's rights issue, execution of an innocent people is a gov action thing. The gov isn't performing or advocating the abortion, the state is performing the execution.

The factors that bring me to the innocent victim of an execution are:
(1) He/She is the only one of those being punished;
(2) He/She was deliberately wronged by a government; and
(3) The kicker is that the execution victim knows in advance the date and time of his/her death, knowing that he/she didn't do it.

Pretend teh condemned is guilty and everyone knows, the same apply. The condemned's victim doesn't know he/she is being executed and besides, the crime was against the state.

Deterrence is effectuated, if one believes the fallacy of that, whether the condemned actually killed the person or not, guilty or not.

A similar question would be "who is the biggest loss: astronaut, police office, soldier?"

Wendy P.

Execution of an innocent person is, by far, the worst because it involves premeditated killing by the state. In all other cases, even the death of a bystander in war, decisions made at an individual level may play a role and so it is--in a relative sense--less serious.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Wendy P.

Execution of an innocent person is, by far, the worst because it involves premeditated killing by the state. In all other cases, even the death of a bystander in war, decisions made at an individual level may play a role and so it is--in a relative sense--less serious.

I agree that the execution of an innocent person is the worst, mostly because of the same reasons lawdog listed. I don't, however, agree that the rest of the cases involved individual desisions that make them less serious. The person didn't choose to be hit by a drunk driver. The baby didn't choose to have its brain sucked out.

The unforseen results of a seemingly insignificant decision shouldn't make one's fate less serious. Even so, the innocent person being executed made random decisions that led them to their predicament just as the innocent victim of a drive by did.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Wendy P.

I chose the abortion option as the worse because of the helplessness and innocence of the unborn human being.

With the other options control or safety mechanisms of some degree exist for protection of the potential victim.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

No correct answer for me. Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.

You go first Doc Falcon
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The fetus has been determined not to be a person

Ever see what happens when a pregnant woman is murdered? Two murder raps for the assailant. Or when a fetus is killed by another and the mother survives? It's a murder rap.

Only if the mother wants it killed is it not a murder. So you are partially right.

[Reply] and that is a protection of teh mother's rights issue,

Yep. The mother's rights cease at a certain point. Incidentally, an abortions is the only non-emergency medical procedure that can be performed on a minor without parental consent. Try giving a kid an aspirin without consent and you get hammered.

[Reply] execution of an innocent people is a gov action thing.

I concur. [Beer]

[Reply]The gov isn't performing or advocating the abortion,

What if the govt funds it?

[Reply]Pretend teh condemned is guilty and everyone knows, the same apply.

Except the condemned knows he's being punished for something he knows he did. My situation is a person being punished for something he did not do.

[Reply]The condemned's victim doesn't know he/she is being executed

This makes it no better or worse.

[Reply]and besides, the crime was against the state.

Right. And a state punishing a person for conduct the person did not do.

[Reply]Deterrence is effectuated, if one believes the fallacy of that, whether the condemned actually killed the person or not, guilty or not.

True. But I'm not one who places particular personal value on deterrence. To me, execution should be about punishment, as should all "penal" enforcement. That's why they are called "penal" institutions. Not the "reformitentiary.". Not the "deterritentiary." A "penitentiary."

My wife is hotter than your wife.