nigel99

UK Election

Well for those who are following the UK elections (whether you are able to vote or not) who would you choose and why?

-- My choice, the monster raving looneys cause I like their manifesto!

Seriously though I can't make up my mind between the tories and the lib dems. I agreed with the Lib dems over Iraq, their business policies suck, but they are generally more "honest". The tory political leadership tend to blow with the wind but in general their policies make sense. I fundamentally disagree with about 90% of what labour believes so they are not an option.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'd have to go Conservatives. I really like Nick Clegg but am not to sure about the party behind him. What really turns me off them though is that they want ditch sterling to go Euro. Which living in a Eurozone country I can say without a doubt is a terrible idea. (I used to be very pro Euro before living in Ireland)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Well for those who are following the UK elections (whether you are able to vote or not) who would you choose and why?

-- My choice, the monster raving looneys cause I like their manifesto!

Seriously though I can't make up my mind between the tories and the lib dems. I agreed with the Lib dems over Iraq, their business policies suck, but they are generally more "honest". The tory political leadership tend to blow with the wind but in general their policies make sense. I fundamentally disagree with about 90% of what labour believes so they are not an option.

I'd go with the majority elected in the pubs on faucets.

Cheers :ph34r:;)

What do actual figures say on that? :)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

i'm voting liberal democrat so that hopefully we get a hung parliament and then we should get proportional representation rather than the current first past the post system.
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

I'm voting Conservative. I agree with most of their policies but more significantly, their attitude is more about personal responsibility, which is the polar opposite of what the Lib Dems and Labour are offering.

I honestly can't stand the Lib Dems. They're presenting themselves as something new and insist that they want to clean up politics, but when you scrutinise them you realise it's all a fiction. This is a party that refused to give back donations received from a convicted fraudster, whose victims have lost everything. Nick Clegg maxed out his expenses on garden furniture, international phone calls and cake tins. New politics my arse.

They say they want "fairness". But their idea of fair is to impose an inflexible tax on homes worth £2m. How is that fair? A pensioner living in a 3 bedroom flat in London would have to pay the "mansion tax" while a person living in an ACTUAL MANSION somewhere more remote would not. This is a tax that is geographically biased. Fairness has nothing to do with it, but populist measuress that are percieved as punishing the wealthy are vote winners these days.

I'd have to go Conservatives. I really like Nick Clegg but am not to sure about the party behind him. What really turns me off them though is that they want ditch sterling to go Euro. Which living in a Eurozone country I can say without a doubt is a terrible idea. (I used to be very pro Euro before living in Ireland)

Can you expand on the Euro? Personally I don't like the idea of losing control of our currency, but I do travel alot as part of business and it would be convenient to have a single currency.

I missed the 2nd debate but we were talking about it in the office and I must admit I also feel very strongly about our Nukes. I personally believe that we should have a nuclear capability and that it should actually be independent of the US. Our generation doesn't need them but future ones might. When viewed on a timescale of 20-50 years I don't believe that we can "trust" the US. GWB was a looney and I don't think it would take many of his type in power before the UK and US were on opposite sides of the fence, similarly the EU could shift direction in that timescale and become a threat. I don't think that China, India etc are a nuclear threat to the UK.

I do worry that a hung parliament might damage the economy - it shouldn't but my gut says it will hit the stock markets and the pound.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I personally believe that we should have a nuclear capability

Why? All that saber-rattling the Norwegians are doing making you nervous?

:P No because once you lose a capability, there is a good chance that you can't get it back. From the old saying "its better to ask for forgiveness than permission" I think that applies. It much easier to be apologetic than to suddenly have the world change and be in the position that you simply can't acquire something you used to have.

I thought you guys had kings and queens and stuff.. :P

the queen is where the real power is, the prime minister is just for show...or is that the other way round :S:D

even though i'm a student and students can't vote tory (conservative for all you americans), i do think they have the best policies, even if their leader leaves a lot to be desired. lib dems are the opposite, with a thoroughly likeable leader but ideas on, well everything, that are a bit far fetched. as for labour...just no.

i would vote for the greens just to make them feel better, but on the off chance they ever get into power i'm sure they'd find a way to outlaw our great sport.

i'm voting liberal democrat so that hopefully we get a hung parliament ...

Or perhaps a well-hung parliament?

http://www.smarta.com/blog/2010/4/ann-summers-anticipates-a-'well-hung'-parliament

:D You're not the first to think of that!

i'm voting liberal democrat so that hopefully we get a hung parliament and then we should get proportional representation rather than the current first past the post system.

+1

Plus the other 2 parties a really getting on my tits by being so similar (all-in-all).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Do the people voting Conservative really want George Osborne as Chancellor? The very thought of that turns my stomach.

I suspect that he'll be "on probation" for a while. If he screws it up I don't think that Cameron will waste much time before replacing him with Ken Clarke. I think they would have already done so but for the fact that it would look pretty bad this close to the election.

People keep banging on about how trustworthy Vince Cable is but he was demolished in the Chancellors' debate.

For anyone who thinks that he was the only person who predicted the recession, I should also point out that Vince Cable has predicted 17 out of the last 2 recessions.

Do the people voting Conservative really want George Osborne as Chancellor? The very thought of that turns my stomach.

As opposed to the tosser in post.... Failing that, what choice do we have?

A hung parliament is, I think, our best option[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hi Nigel, I used to think it would be a good thing to have the Euro but I was wrong. I moved to Ireland and in doing so I doubled my salary, yet simply due to the cost of living I am no better off, in fact i might be even worse off! To give you a couple of examples, I went up to Northern Ireland which as you know is part of the UK and uses Sterling (UK Pounds for those who may not know what Sterling is) I purchased the same goods as I normally do in the Republic of Ireland and the price difference is shocking. £4 for a pack of toilet roll in the north, for the the same pack in the South €10. £0.90 for a curry sauce in the north, €2.90 in the south (For the same product!)
I know someone who went north to buy a fridge, when they asked if it would be cheaper to have it delivered to a friend in the north and take it south themselves they were told it made no difference as the warehouse is in Dublin (South) my friend asked then why there was a €150 difference in the same chain of stores between the north and south as the products came from the same source? Why because we have the Euro.
My car is worth £12-13k In the UK, I had it valued over here and was told the value is €35,000.00 (I shit you not)
Ireland is in the crapper because it has the same problems as the Uk and USA but can't devalue its currency. While the UK is in recovery Ireland's economy is in freefall.
Going to the Euro would screw the UK totally. Look on the web and do some price checks, its mad.

http://store.skins.net/eu/men.html?p=2

http://store.skins.net/uk/all-products.html?p=2

Just two examples
RY400 Men's Compression Long sleeve top
£59.98 or €100.00

RY400 Compression tights
£69.98 or €110.00

Generally I'd say that day to day groceries are 75%-150% more expensive in Euro than in Sterling, services about the same. Personally I'd rather have to schlep to the Currency Exchange than be screwed on a day to day basis.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

i'm voting liberal democrat so that hopefully we get a hung parliament

I am not sure the two go hand-in-hand. I also think that a hung parliament is the worst situation we could end up in because no one would get anything done at all. It's hard enough for parties with control of the house to get changes through without the whip, can you not imagine the carnage of a budget put together by two parties with opposing views, laws and the firm hand that is required to get us out of recession just wouldn't happen and we would sink further into the shit.

Obviously Labour are dead in the water, Gordon seems to be doing his best to achieve this. Whilst David Cameron just appears like someone doing an impression of David Cameron I think that, for me, the Tories are the only choice as I don't think the Lib Dems are ready to leave - they've never expected it so they wouldn't know how to do it - my dog used to chase squirrels - when he one day caught on he had no idea what to do with it and so he let it go.

Whatever happens we need some form of change in the system but a hung parliament is not the way to achieve it - the two parties would never be able to agree on how to do it.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

there's no chance of a new system if you vote labour or conservative. with a hung parliament we'll almost certainly get a decent proportional representation system as a result :)
(can you imagine the carnage of a poll tax)

stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

there's no chance of a new system if you vote labour or conservative. with a hung parliament we'll almost certainly get a decent proportional representation system as a result :)

How so?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Its interesting looking at the posts and the poll. In the UK voters seem to be prepared to change their mind about who to vote for much more than in the US where it almost seems like supporting a football team, you're born into a family which is either Republican or Democrat and mant seem to vote the way they do because thats what Grandad did/does.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca