jdthomas

concealed carry summer clothing

For those of you that have (or know who has) a CCW permit, where are you finding summer clothing and any tips you have found?
Not getting into a gun type debate here but I carry a SR9 and find it a bit harder to conceal with shorts a plain T shirt ( how I normally dress in summer) and sandle's.
I don't want to spend a ton on a new closet of clothing or a bunch of holsters that don't work.
Your input of experience would be awesome..
www.greenboxphotography.com

For those of you that have (or know who has) a CCW permit, where are you finding summer clothing and any tips you have found?
Not getting into a gun type debate here but I carry a SR9 and find it a bit harder to conceal with shorts a plain T shirt ( how I normally dress in summer) and sandle's.
I don't want to spend a ton on a new closet of clothing or a bunch of holsters that don't work.
Your input of experience would be awesome..

What holster are you wearing?

The Supertuck Delux and Smartcarry are deccent
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My rig,

Inside the waistband holster, Large-ish t-shirt and a web belt. I wear a pair of shorts with this setup and have no problems concealing my full size 1911 GI. Also I have the holster (uncle mikes soft holster) in the small of my back clipped to my web belt. No comfort issues at all, but I am kind of tall and thin. Others mileage may vary.

ETA- Extra mag in my back pocket. I figure if it takes more than 16 rounds to 'deal' with something then I dont have any business carrying in the first place.
Muff #5048

I carried a man purse. It was an Oakley bag, so it didn't look like a purse. But it held my Berretta .40 Cougar very nicely. Even had a pocket designed for a cell phone that was perfect for the extra clip. Wasn't the best if you think of yourself as a quickdraw, but works to have it with you.

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

You have to dress around your gun or gun around your wardrobe.

EoTach clothing makes some NICE button down shirts that work really well with shorts. Beyond that, I have a hand full of golfing style polo shirts that are a light weight underarmour type material. Purchased the polo shirts at Target for something like $10 apiece.

http://www.eotac.com/discreet-clothing/discreet-shirts/mens-tropical-short-sleeve-shirt

IWB holsters help a bunch. OWB only works for me in the winter when I have a jacket or similar on. Blade-Tech makes some excellent IWB options in kydex.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I carried a man purse. It was an Oakley bag, so it didn't look like a purse. But it held my Berretta .40 Cougar very nicely. Even had a pocket designed for a cell phone that was perfect for the extra clip. Wasn't the best if you think of yourself as a quickdraw, but works to have it with you.

If you want to go the Murse option, Maxpedition makes some great stuff! Which also works as diaper bags.;)

If you want to go the Murse option, Maxpedition makes some great stuff! Which also works as diaper bags.;)

Its not a purse its a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.:D
Muff #5048

If you want to go the Murse option, Maxpedition makes some great stuff! Which also works as diaper bags.

That sold the versipack for me right there!:D

I have the Colossus in black for my "day-bag" diaper bag.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/COLOSSUS-VERSIPACK-4p379.htm

I have the messenger bag for the weekend bag. In the messenger bag is all loop velcro, so I got some of the velcro pockets and molle adapter for holster and diaper gear.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/GLENEAGLE-MESSENGER-BAG-Large-58p1233.htm

Zombie Hunter moral patch extra.

http://milspecmonkey.com/patches/zombie-hunter-batch1.jpg

:D

Thanks for the input, currently i have a mil-tec soft armor case and it's ok but not the best and I want to be more comfortable.
I find that getting in and out of the car, sitting in resturant booths is a bit uncomfortable with the holster.
I will check some of these links out and come up with something.
Thanks for the input.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I kinda like where this gal keeps hers. ;)

Gun??? ... what gun?? :ph34r:

It's there, trust me on this one.
It took me a while to find. I had to scan her bod inch-by-inch. Several times. :)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Thanks for the input, currently i have a mil-tec soft armor case and it's ok but not the best and I want to be more comfortable.
I find that getting in and out of the car, sitting in resturant booths is a bit uncomfortable with the holster.
I will check some of these links out and come up with something.
Thanks for the input.
Joe

On of the biggest challenges to CCW is to be comfortable with the weapon. If you're not comfortable wearing the weapon, then you will simply quit carrying it. Then what good is it going to do you?

Having the right kind of belt is the first step. I like a "riggers" belt, like from Blackhawk or the Ligar belt from Maxpedition. There are many other options, but you want something that is constructed to take the weight of a loaded weapon. Otherwise everything will sag and flop. You will imprint and will be horribly uncomfortable.

The second thing is the right kind of holster. The kind of holster that works for me may not work for you. Different weapons, different carry preferences and different body types have different requirements. I would personally recommend a well built kydex holster instead of leather for IWB. OWB its a toss up. The reason being is that you want to be able to reholster easily. That is not so you can "speed holster" and get yourself in a bind before clearing the scene for your safety. That is for other contingencies.

An example would be an active shooter at a mall. You find yourself in the situation of an active shooter in a mall. You have your wife with you. You draw your weapon to be able to protect yourself and instead of engaging, you protect your life and the safety of your wife against threats while you escape. Once safe, you need to reholster. Especially since LE will be arriving and you're a civilian, in civilian clothing, at an active shooter scene and with a gun in your hand. You then let the guys and gals with the training and body armor engage the threat. You're a hero for your family because you were able to provide immediate protection if needed and get them to safety.

Another advantage is that a hard holster, like a kydex holster, becomes a "second hand" if your support hand is disabled for some reason. This is important in a malfunction drill. Lets say a threat engages you and you fire your weapon, but through the course of action your support side becomes incapacitated. To top it off your weapon stove pipes. You can now use your holster to act as a second hand. Tap, rack bang, right? Tap to the thigh, rack by catching the front or rear sight on the edge of the holster and bang, you're back in the fight. Try that drill with a soft holster, it just won't happen.

Shorts & tshirt?
No other way to go than IWB.

A good belt, don't be cheap, drop the $80-$100+.

Crossbreed's SuperTuck in horsehide gets my vote.
Very comfortable, wide degree of cant adjustability, the horsehide handles sweat very well.

Tshirt a size too large, with good length and made of heavier material helps prevent printing and accidental exposure when bending over or the shirt riding up.
Alternative.

If your carrying a very small subcompact, you can get OWB holsters that will pass for a big multi-tool pouch/blackberry case.
Velcro/magnetic flap conceals grip nicely.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Attention all insecure, inferiority complex having, douche bags who love to accesorize, we have a thread just for you...

:D:D:D:D

Its been a while since I laughed this hard at a thread.

I'm taking bets on who else is going to join in on this one...

take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...