zuluguy

Discovery of life outside earth and religion.

>In short, I do not believe that anyone with more than a couple of brain
>cells to rub together would consider such findings of extraterrestrial life to
>be some kind of "threat" to their faith . . .

And that's the problem. Heck, think how the next Branch Davidians or Heaven's Gaters would take discovery of extraterrestrial life.

Nope, I'm not really interested in restating what is better said by experts in that field.

Well then we wont know whether you have an understanding or simply have blind faith in someone else's theories.

Dude, don't be dissin' Blind Faith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2xRYw3DmRY

I'd like Cream with that, please.

Coming right up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqh54rSzheg

Transistors.

I remember when I was first taught how transistors work (although "taught" may not be harsh enough a word for what they do to you on the subject at Illinois.) For all the headaches the associated maths can induce they are, conceptually, a very elegant application of physics.

Antenna technology however... I don't care what anyone says a lot of that shit is black magic.

>Antenna technology however... I don't care what anyone says a lot of that
>shit is black magic.

One thing I've learned over the years is that no matter how complicated antenna topology gets, and no matter how odd the pattern looks like or what tricks you use - it's all just Maxwell's equations.

To this day, that still annoys me, along with a lot of other bullshit he got away with in his lifetime.

really don't mean to highjack this thread but would be very curious on what is the otherstuff you think he got away with. I particularly think "bullshit" is too strong a word to the amazing work he has done,
calling his views eccentric/far fetched is one thing but you my friend can not call his work bullshit, someone who is acclaimed by millions

can you produce any theories or publish scientific papers to refute his work as bullshit that are referenced/accepted by many astronomers, c

If/when alien life is discovered in the universe, will that magically solve the problems of depravity and alienation toward God we face as a species? As I understand it, the Kingdom of God deals mainly with restoration and regeneration of the soul/mind so that we can gain fellowship with God. External circumstances including alien life, which the Bible already describes, are secondary.

If/when alien life is discovered in the universe, will that magically solve the problems of depravity and alienation toward God we face as a species? As I understand it, the Kingdom of God deals mainly with restoration and regeneration of the soul/mind so that we can gain fellowship with God. External circumstances including alien life, which the Bible already describes, are secondary.

Where abouts, please?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>no matter how complicated antenna topology gets, and no matter how odd the pattern looks like or what tricks you use - it's all just Maxwell's equations.

not to be confused with the Maxwell House equations

it's a totally different set of theories

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Antenna technology however... I don't care what anyone says a lot of that
>shit is black magic.

One thing I've learned over the years is that no matter how complicated antenna topology gets, and no matter how odd the pattern looks like or what tricks you use - it's all just Maxwell's equations.

Agreed, and I think W.V.T. Rusch would agree too. But your antenna doesn't have to get very complicated before closed form solutions starting with Maxwell go right out the window.

Throw in extra gotchas like multi-mode horns and you're basically just taking an educated guess and kludging together a numerical analysis to get a rough idea of what to expect. Even after you build the thing simply measuring it isn't always straight-forward. That's what I mean when I say black magic.

>no matter how complicated antenna topology gets, and no matter how odd the pattern looks like or what tricks you use - it's all just Maxwell's equations.

not to be confused with the Maxwell House equations

it's a totally different set of theories

It's weird... I had the same picture in my head too

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

No, since I am a counselor and not a scientist, life elsewhere, predicting the end times date and other non-conclusive discussions have no bearing on the strength of my faith.

I believe in God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and the Scriptures that relate to Them because of the change in my life.

God chose me and I answered the call. I asked Jesus to come into my life and take control. He did and immediately my life got infinitely better.

The are no other questions for me to answer. There are facets to study for enhanced edification. I know beyond any doubt Whose I am and where I am going.

You are so wrong! Santa Claus created the Universe! Look at all those wonderful gifts his Elves created! I even have the presents to prove it!

I believe in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy and the writings that relate to Them because of the change in my life.

Santa Claus chose me and I answered the call. I asked Easter Bunny to come into my life and take control. He did and immediately my life got infinitely better.

I sat on Santa’s lap when I was small so I know he exists. I even saw the Easter Bunny too!
Santa is a much better religion than Christianity! Santa only gives you coal when you’re bad but god burns you in Hell forever! I chose Santa! When I die I’m going to the North Pole to live with Santa and make presents with his Elves! It will be so much fun.
So there you have it! No further intelligence needed! Creation of the Universe is now laid to rest! Thinking really hurts my brain. Glad that’s over with! Now I can get back to my “Santa comes to town” readings.

Ok, but if they found life on other planets -

Would Santa go there and deliver presents?

He's obviously capable of travelling at extreme speeds, and being in many places nearly simultaneously.

He could simply add the other planets to his itinerary, he could even do it on a different day of the year.

:P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

One thing to consider -- isn't theology just about the most arrogant study there is? This is the study that says "we understand how God, the supreme, all-knowing, and unknowable, thinks, and what he wants."

well if that was the case we wouldn't even bother to study...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Luke 2:13

13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Matt 26:53

53Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

Genesis 6

Is the story of the flood. No aliens anywhere.

Dude, you've proved it........

once again that the bible is so vague that someone will try to use it to further their arguments about anything. These passages have absolutely nothing to do with extra terrestrial life. Or are you going to claim that the heavenly host is aliens? Or that 12 legions of angels are actually aliens? Are you going to next make reference to the angels who starred in The Abyss?

along with many other references of extraterrestrial, multidimensional beings

Care to list a few of those? Do you guys just think that listing off bible passages is going to make you sound credible?

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

No, since I am a counselor and not a scientist, life elsewhere, predicting the end times date and other non-conclusive discussions have no bearing on the strength of my faith.

I believe in God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and the Scriptures that relate to Them because of the change in my life.

God chose me and I answered the call. I asked Jesus to come into my life and take control. He did and immediately my life got infinitely better.

The are no other questions for me to answer. There are facets to study for enhanced edification. I know beyond any doubt Whose I am and where I am going.

You are so wrong! Santa Claus created the Universe! Look at all those wonderful gifts his Elves created! I even have the presents to prove it!

I believe in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy and the writings that relate to Them because of the change in my life.

Santa Claus chose me and I answered the call. I asked Easter Bunny to come into my life and take control. He did and immediately my life got infinitely better.

I sat on Santa’s lap when I was small so I know he exists. I even saw the Easter Bunny too!
Santa is a much better religion than Christianity! Santa only gives you coal when you’re bad but god burns you in Hell forever! I chose Santa! When I die I’m going to the North Pole to live with Santa and make presents with his Elves! It will be so much fun.
So there you have it! No further intelligence needed! Creation of the Universe is now laid to rest! Thinking really hurts my brain. Glad that’s over with! Now I can get back to my “Santa comes to town” readings.

Whatever gets you through the night.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Ok, but if they found life on other planets -

Would Santa go there and deliver presents?

He could simply add the other planets to his itinerary, he could even do it on a different day of the year.

sure, but you need to find 364 other planets with the same length of year - you could add one more planet as long as its cycle is 1461 days long

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Nope, I'm not really interested in restating what is better said by experts in that field.

Well then we wont know whether you have an understanding or simply have blind faith in someone else's theories.

OK, so only personal origional research is valid. Upon birth, everyone should set out to learn everything about the natural world themselves or their knowledge is dismissed as "blind faith"

If you require to know 100% of every detail on the origion of the universe, the only stance that you can take is agnosticism. However, that does not mean that everything else is on equal footing.

I dismiss creationism because it totally disregards the scientific method, gives up on examining new evidence and says "give up on learning, just accept that God made everything!" I accept the big bang theory and evolution because it uses human observation and investigation, and everything is up for scrutiny. Even if it was wrong, the methodology is still leaps and bounds ahead of creationism's "blind faith". I would gladly change my views if presented evidence to the contrary. Creationism leaves no such room for improvement.

Belief in an ancient book full of contradictions is "blind faith". The only faith (probably not the best word choice here) that my views require is hope in human inginuity to eventually fill in the details in our current theories:)

Ok, thank-you for your response.

There are some in the scientific community who acknowledge that faith is not the sole domain of religion and science has its own faith based belief system. This has been previously debated but there is an article I found interesting on this topic.

You say you would gladly change your views if presented evidence to the contary. If you're interested there is a case presented here.

I don't see any reason for even trying to reconcile discoveries about the natural physical world with the dogma of organized religion. When it comes to understanding the physical world, spirituality has no say, or at least gets trumped by observation, analysis, experimentation, etc.

Conversely, on matters of faith, sprirituality trumps all.

Science and faith operate in different realms and on different matters, and have no need to be reconciled.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

What a great line. Practice it in the mirror.

Practice!!!???
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

What a great line. Practice it in the mirror.

Practice!!!???

And why in a mirror?:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

---Genesis 6 Is the story of the flood. No aliens anywhere.

Gen 6:2 & 4 sons of God & Nephilim were extraterrestrial beings.

--Dude, you've proved it........

--once again that the bible is so vague that someone will try to use it to further their arguments about anything. These passages have absolutely nothing to do with extra terrestrial life. Or are you going to claim that the heavenly host is aliens? Or that 12 legions of angels are actually aliens? Are you going to next make reference to the angels who starred in The Abyss?

along with many other references of extraterrestrial, multidimensional beings

--Care to list a few of those? Do you guys just think that listing off bible passages is going to make you sound credible?

The Bible contains many references to extraterrestrial life forms referred to as angels. Credibility is not possible without a similar belief system and frame of reference.