NewGuy2005

Okla. tea parties and lawmakers envision militia

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100412/ap_on_re_us/us_tea_party_militia

OKLAHOMA CITY – Frustrated by recent political setbacks, tea party leaders and some conservative members of the Oklahoma Legislature say they would like to create a new volunteer militia to help defend against what they believe are improper federal infringements on state sovereignty.

Tea party movement leaders say they've discussed the idea with several supportive lawmakers and hope to get legislation next year to recognize a new volunteer force. They say the unit would not resemble militia groups that have been raided for allegedly plotting attacks on law enforcement officers......

They are not even waiting to see the results of the next election before there is a call to arms. While they may have the right to do so, I think it shows a disrespect for the democratic process.

This sort of thing gives detractors of conservatism an almost limitless supply of material for derision, and rightly so. I hate to see it.

Where were these morons when Jesus H Bush was passing all kinds of laws that made it ok for the Feds to wire tap their phones and spy on them?

Wait....was it ok because
1) he was white
2) he spoke to "a higher fatha?"
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

you're reminding me of the pastor at my church. A few weeks ago his sermon was on NEVER rebelling against authority. (his emphasis) I asked him later what he thought about the guys in Massachusetts rebelling against the brits 235 years ago. His response was that "sure... there are exceptions... when I said never, I didn't mean never... uh...".

Let the process work it's course is what you're saying right? Well, while I don't think it's time to go outside the process yet, the people in OK, apparently do think that time might be soon. Raising a militia is within their rights and they're choosing to do it now rather than later (when they perceive it might be too late).
--
Rob

Where were these morons when Jesus H Bush was passing all kinds of laws that made it ok for the Feds to wire tap their phones and spy on them?

1) he was white

Where are the morons that protested "Jesus H Bush" but aren't protesting "Jesus H Obama" for continuing it?

Is it ok because
1) he's not white
2) he's speaking to 'a higher fatha?"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

1) he was white

Where are the morons that protested "Jesus H Bush" but aren't protesting "Jesus H Obama" for continuing it?

Is it ok because
1) he's not white
2) he's speaking to 'a higher fatha?"

obama is white :)
(silly boy)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

....Let the process work it's course is what you're saying right? Well, while I don't think it's time to go outside the process yet, the people in OK, apparently do think that time might be soon....

Sounds like we are in agreement.

Technically speaking, since it is laid out as a right in the constitution, this is within the process. Voting is also within the process.

Which one of those actions is appropriate at this time?

....Let the process work it's course is what you're saying right? Well, while I don't think it's time to go outside the process yet, the people in OK, apparently do think that time might be soon....

Sounds like we are in agreement.

Technically speaking, since it is laid out as a right in the constitution, this is within the process. Voting is also within the process.

Which one of those actions is appropriate at this time?

as you point out, they're both within the process, I don't see either as inappropriate. Voting, however, isn't taking place right now for representatives in our federal government. And they feel like they need to do something, so this is what they've chosen.
--
Rob

Texas already has a common militia:
TEXAS STATE LAW
TITLE 94
MILITIA - SOLDIERS, SAILORS AND MARINES

Art. 5765. Active and reserve
The militia of the this State shall be divided into two (2) classes, the active and reserve militia. The active militia shall consist of organized and uniformed military forces of this State which shall be known as the Texas National Guard or the Texas State Guard as the case may be; the reserve militia shall consist of all those liable
to service in the militia, but not serving in the Texas National Guard or the Texas State Guard.

Art. 5766. Who are subject
All able-bodied citizens, male and female, and able-bodied males and females of foreign birth who have declared their intention to become citizens, who are residents of this State and males between eighteen and forty-five years of age and females between twenty-one and forty-five years of age, and who are not exempted by the laws of the United States or of this State, shall constitute the militia and be subject to
military duty.
Citizens should be prepared to rally together in common defense, against all enemies both foreign and domestic. Where have I heard that before?

If you're an able-bodied Texan between the age of 18 and 45, you're a militia member.

Oh the horror!

Texas already has a common militia

The whole United States does. 10 USC 311

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311

§ 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

32 USC 313 adds national guard members up to age 63 who were formerly in active service

§ 313. Appointments and enlistments: age limitations

(a) To be eligible for original enlistment in the National Guard, a person must be at least 17 years of age and under 45, or under 64 years of age and a former member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps. To be eligible for reenlistment, a person must be under 64 years of age.
(b) To be eligible for appointment as an officer of the National Guard, a person must—
(1) be a citizen of the United States; and
(2) be at least 18 years of age and under 64.

Texas already has a common militia

The whole United States does. 10 USC 311

On no, there are evil militias everywhere!
Isn't it ridiculous how the media goes about demonizing everything called a "militia"?
They need a little educating on the subject...

>Isn't it ridiculous how the media goes about demonizing everything called a "militia"? They need a little educating on the subject...

Well, given that the original poster claimed that militias were only "envisioned" - I'd say it's a little more than the media.

>Isn't it ridiculous how the media goes about demonizing everything called a "militia"? They need a little educating on the subject...

Well, given that the original poster claimed that militias were only "envisioned" - I'd say it's a little more than the media.

It could be that the Oklahoma constitution does not already contain provisions for a state citizen militia, as do many other states. That's all that could mean.