dorbie

Democrat with an important environmental concern

It's just as well we have deep thinkers like this guy looking out for us.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=be9_1270097830

OMG! :D:D:D
That is the best I've seen in a long, long time.
Thank you.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I'd like to think that it was an April Fool joke...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Having watched the whole thing a couple of times, I think he was speaking metaphorically; tongue-in-cheek. The context of the whole series of questions (not just cherry-picking out the one sentence) is his expressing concern over the environmental impact on a very small island of basing several thousand additional Marines on the island.

If I'm right, then it's just an awkward use of a metaphor, which is being predictably jumped-on by the blogosphere. If I'm wrong, and he really did mean it literally, then he should become a municipal judge.

Having watched the whole thing a couple of times, I think he was speaking metaphorically; tongue-in-cheek. The context of the whole series of questions (not just cherry-picking out the one sentence) is his expressing concern over the environmental impact on a very small island of basing several thousand additional Marines on the island.

If I'm right, then it's just an awkward use of a metaphor, which is being predictably jumped-on by the blogosphere. If I'm wrong, and he really did mean it literally, then he should become a municipal judge.

Probably not a metaphor. After he explains how the whole island will tip over and capsize he says "and also things like the environment......" He certainly appears as though he has made his two concerns very separate, the island tipping over and capsizing and the environmental impact. Listen again for his segway from one to the other at about 1:50.

This guy is a moron and I am surprised the military dude at the table could keep a straight face.

There are already many thousands of blogsphere hits on Google for this; but so far the mainstream media hasn't really picked it up yet. I imagine they eventually will. Anyhow, it occurs to me that, one way or another, Johnson's office will probably (and very soon) issue a "clarification" saying he was just making a little joke, and didn't mean it literally. What else can they say?

so far the mainstream media hasn't really picked it up yet

Remember they're all lackeys of the liberals, and stupid, and probably agree with him. :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

so far the mainstream media hasn't really picked it up yet

Remember they're all lackeys of the liberals, and stupid, and probably agree with him. :P

Wendy P.

Since its such a small island do you think Marc will refer to them as the Sail by Media instead of the usual Drive by????

There are already many thousands of blogsphere hits on Google for this; but so far the mainstream media hasn't really picked it up yet. I imagine they eventually will. Anyhow, it occurs to me that, one way or another, Johnson's office will probably (and very soon) issue a "clarification" saying he was just making a little joke, and didn't mean it literally. What else can they say?

...and... here it is. Obviously Congressman Johnson reads Dorkzone.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=142407&catid=3

In an e-mail to 11Alive News, Johnson's office said the statement was a metaphor to describe Guam's ecosystem.

"I wasn't suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over," Johnson said in the e-mailed statement. "I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents - an additional 80,000 people during peak construction on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 - could be a tipping point which could adversely affect the island's fragile ecosystem and could overburden its overstressed infrastructure."

"Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful - but vulnerable island - could easily become overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do permanent harm to Guam," Johnson said.

Someone should explain the history of Guam, to him. At one time, it had been blasted to Hell, and was crawling, with Marines.

Someone should explain the history of Guam, to him. At one time, it had been blasted to Hell, and was crawling, with Marines.

You know, that's not a half-bad idea. Let's just blast the place to hell. Then we can put in a big mega-mall. With a wind tunnel.

:o I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. Once a few people slide off into the Marianna Trench the island will right itself and everything will work out OK. (Now, if only Key West would pitch a few thousand folks into the drink, that island would be worth visiting again.)