tkhayes

Anne Coulter in Canada

Pity. In my view, a nation that fears hate speech enough to criminalize it is not a truly confident and secure republic. T/reply]
I've told you before, we are not a republic.

And I've told you before: evading the point by focusing on the semantics of a short-hand label of convenience is still evading the point. I don't care if Canada's system of government is most properly called "Fred", it is what it is, and my point stands.

I think it's appalling that Keegstra's conviction was ultimately upheld.
Denounce him as a hate-mongering charlatan - fine.
Criminalize his speech? In a modern, Western nation governed by the rule of law? Shameful.

It is interesting to note that it seems only the US does not have laws directly targeting hate speech.
Most other industrialized nation has some sort of law prohibiting this exact thing.

not when he is teaching it to kids - fuck that. I was living in Calgary then, in my 20's. The Aryan Nations showed up to support him and wanted to set up a 'training camp' in Canada near there.

I was seriously thinking about putting a fucking bullet into one of those guys if that was going to happen - NIMBY. Of course, then the Jewish Defense League showed up too - just as bad

A lot of people felt the same way. The RCMP and feds did a good job of managing the whole thing by reminding people that the Aryan Nations cannot just set up a 'military/militia style training camp in Canada, we do not allow it.

I was quite happy with the 'line' that we drew in Canada back then, thank you very much, free speech or not.

Every time I hear someone say 'Nigger' here in Zephyrhills (and i hear it a lot), I also generally take the time to confront that person and say something like "If you say nigger again in front of me, I am going to drag you outside and break your arm"

free speech my ass - they are hate-mongering fuckheads. There is a difference.

I remember Keegstra....

here's one the recent free speech issues..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Galloway

-ex British MP George Galloway has been denied entry...unable to fulfill an invitation to give speech.

So free speech, of course, doesn't include foreign nationals...even if the 'foreign' Head of State is the same person. I.e. The Queen.

I don't speak as a supporter of his necessarily, but was aware of this particular issue...I plan to read up on his views if they are so volatile...

He's anti-war, and we're pulling out... and we transferred prisoners to be tortured.....meanwhile a base commander from Trenton, is up on 82 Charges of everything up to rape... The C in C of the Armed forces is ordering himself to investigated for a weapons discharge. At the same time he says release of classified material about Afghanistan is okay, yet the government is against it...
an ex MP (cocaine possession) is ruling the Commons debate and the news cycle still...

So, with a minority tory government, and no effective opposition, nothing is getting done...

Canada always finds a way...*sigh*