RALFFERS

Dropzone.com got Jesus?

I said nothing, but I knew where this thread was going. :D

Now if we can get them to move "What do you do for a living?" to BF, the yin & yang of dropzone.com will be restored.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I said nothing, but I knew where this thread was going. :D

Now if we can get them to move "What do you do for a living?" to BF, the yin & yang of dropzone.com will be restored.:S

Um, Johnrich may have ruined those chances. :S:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

But, really - what _wouldn't_ Jesus do?

Jesus, as reported in his biography, sounds like a pretty cool guy. Pity so many of his followers don't seem to get the message he preached on "the Mount". History shows that there's not much his followers wouldn't do in his name: rape, torture, murder...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Skydivers & Jesus...that's a good one! :D

What's so funny about that?

Do you think that all skydivers should be atheists?

No, not at all; it's just that most skydivers are atheists though.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Yes they should.

Seen on front of shirt:

"God is dead", Nietzsche

Seen on back of shirt:

"Nietzsche is dead", God

I know which one I believe...

:)

I like that. :)

. . . it's just that most skydivers are atheists though.

Where did you get that idea?

Having a DZ as big as Skydive Chicago right in your backyard, I get to meet jumpers from all over the country. Most people I've talked to do not believe in God.

Having a DZ as big as Skydive Chicago right in your backyard, I get to meet jumpers from all over the country. Most people I've talked to do not believe in God.

OK, perhaps most skydivers that you have talked to are atheists, but I don't believe that equates to "most skydivers are atheists." And I don't believe that most are.

Fair enough. However, most people dont know the full truth of the universe do they? So how can you define what they are, or even what they will be without the full truth being revealed? Change comes in an instant. Who is atheist today, may be something else tomorrow.

At best I would say most atheist are anti Christian (I know I know, its BS, its just an observation) and therefore claim atheism as their belief. However, I have seen that if someone is speaking truth more fully, they are most likely agnostic than atheist.

Atheism requires an extreme denouncing of even the possibility of God. I have not seen this in most skydivers. In fact, I have seen more often than not people willing to talk alot about God, in Christianity and in other faiths as well. Your post is far from the truth.
"We didn't start the fire"

Fair enough. However, most people dont know the full truth of the universe do they? So how can you define what they are, or even what they will be without the full truth being revealed? Change comes in an instant. Who is atheist today, may be something else tomorrow.

At best I would say most atheist are anti Christian (I know I know, its BS, its just an observation) and therefore claim atheism as their belief. However, I have seen that if someone is speaking truth more fully, they are most likely agnostic than atheist.

Atheism requires an extreme denouncing of even the possibility of God. I have not seen this in most skydivers. In fact, I have seen more often than not people willing to talk alot about God, in Christianity and in other faiths as well. Your post is far from the truth.

You bring up some good points. I never said I was right though - just voicing what I have personally observed. I myself believe in God, & if anybody cares to hear my opinion - I think it takes a lot more faith to be an atheist rather than to believe in God. But that's just me. Everyone has their reasons for everything, & that's perfectly fine.

most people dont know the full truth of the universe do they?

I do. Tithe your income and assets to me and I'll reveal it to you. A little bit at a time. Oh, and I'll need you to work the bingo games, too.

At best I would say most atheist are anti Christian (I know I know, its BS, its just an observation) and therefore claim atheism as their belief.

OK, first of all, and I've had to say this many times before, atheism is not a form of belief; it is simply an absence of religious belief.

The atheists you think of only seem "anti-religious" because they're reacting to a society that forces religion upon them and subjects them to stigma for their lack of religious belief. If the focus of anti-religious acting/speaking-out seems "anti-Christian" to you, it's because you live in an overwhelmingly Christian-majority country, so that's usually how it manifests itself within your earshot.

However, I have seen that if someone is speaking truth more fully, they are most likely agnostic than atheist.

To the extent that that's true (which I don't accept), that's only because most of them have been indoctrinated in religion throughout their formative childhoods, often with long-term psychological effects; and even for an educated adult, the effects of that kind of indoctrination are hard to shake off.

But while I'm sure there are true "agnostics", I'm also convinced that many people who are atheists in their heart are fibbers: they publicly refer to themselves as "agnostic" simply because socially it's the path of lesser resistance.

Atheism requires an extreme denouncing of even the possibility of God.

I disagree. Once again, you're putting the cart before the horse. Atheism simply puts religion into the same category of everything else which by default is presumed not to exist (beyond fantasy) in the absence of genuine evidence and proof. It is religious belief that requires an extreme leap. We just don't commonly view it that way because people are indoctrinated into religious beliefs from young childhood.

I wish I could run an experiment where the control group was a statistically significant population of well-educated, psychologically- and emotionally-healthy adults who had never been exposed to (much less indoctrinated by) religion in their lives. Then expose them to religion and try to get them to believe in it. I think the most extreme intellectual leaps will have to be made by those who decide to believe in religion, than by those who choose to simply continue thinking as they and the rest of their society always have.

You bring up some good points. I never said I was right though - just voicing what I have personally observed. I myself believe in God, & if anybody cares to hear my opinion - I think it takes a lot more faith to be an atheist rather than to believe in God. But that's just me. Everyone has their reasons for everything, & that's perfectly fine.

Wow, someone who didnt feel offended from a post of mine. Thats rare for me. Thanks for that.

I do agree with this... "I think it takes a lot more faith to be an atheist rather than to believe in God".
"We didn't start the fire"