millertime24

Handgun choice...

So I went to Impact Guns today to check out some handguns. What I'm looking for is a 22 just to practice with and be cheap to shoot. Heres my 3 choices.

Ruger MK3- $320. Cheap, reliable, and feels good in the hand.

Sig 22- $415. Not quite as cheap, but still reliable and grip feels good fit to my hand.

Walther P22 with supressor package- $700 Not really cheap, still reliable, but feels like a toy in my hand.

So which would you guys get? The low cost Ruger that can never accept a supressor or the quiet P22, or maybe the Sig that you can put a supressor on in the future?
Muff #5048

So I went to Impact Guns today to check out some handguns. What I'm looking for is a 22 just to practice with and be cheap to shoot. Heres my 3 choices.

Sig 22- $415. Not quite as cheap, but still reliable and grip feels good fit to my hand.

Walther P22 with supressor package- $700 Not really cheap, still reliable, but feels like a toy in my hand.

So which would you guys get? The low cost Ruger that can never accept a supressor or the quiet P22, or maybe the Sig that you can put a supressor on in the future?

Go for theWalther with the suppressor.. you can start getting some training for your second career as a hit man for the bent nose boys.:ph34r:

Does the Walther price include the Class 3 license and tax stamp to get the suppressor in the first place?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

$700? WOW, I hope that covers the cost of the tax stamp. I priced that setup a while back and found you can get one with a GemTech for around $500 with out the stamp. The problem is that the P22 is picky about ammo.

Be warned that a lot of people make "training" cans for the P22, which is nothing but something to look cool on the gun.

I really like the Sig, its a 90% of full size imprint. That's important if you have sausage fingers like me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

$700? WOW, I hope that covers the cost of the tax stamp. I priced that setup a while back and found you can get one with a GemTech for around $500 with out the stamp. The problem is that the P22 is picky about ammo.

Be warned that a lot of people make "training" cans for the P22, which is nothing but something to look cool on the gun.

I really like the Sig, its a 90% of full size imprint. That's important if you have sausage fingers like me.

Glock 357 sig;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Isn't that the one you can't find any ammo for?

You have to hunt for the ammo but it is a great round.

Quit being serious when I'm giving aka a ration of shit, you!!! :P

Seriously, though...if I were to choose an exotic handgun round, it'd probably be the 9x23 Win. 357 performance, 40 recoil and 10+1 in a single stack 1911 frame (better concealability than a double stack).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Glock 357 sig;)

:) Isn't that the one you can't find any ammo for? :)

:P
Plenny range ammo around. The good ammo is hard to find tho[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Why do you say the Ruger can never be suppressed? I have seen more suppressed Rugers than any other model.
IMO the Ruger is the best of the lot by far, suppressed or not. Best quality and ultra-reliable.
Also, my past experience with Ruger factory support has been excellent when I had a small problem of wear in the trigger group in my 10/22 after 20 years and literally several hundred thousand rounds of ammunition fed through it.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

What about Smith & Wesson, Browning and Beretta?

They all make nice .22 autos.

You can't go wrong with the Ruger. There's a reason they have been making them for 50+ years.

I'd go with the one that feels best in your hand.

And there's no reason you can't put a suppressor on the Ruger in the future. It just needs a threaded barrel, and those are reasonably easy to find.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What McNeal said about the suppressor is correct. You need a class II firearms permit, plus pay a $200 Transfer of Title tax, to own a suppressor. And when I lived in Utah, you couldn't possess one in Salt Lake County, but you could in Utah county. There's a real mish mash of laws for those kinds of things.

I've owned only a couple of .22 handguns, but my favorite is my Ruger 22/45, same basic receiver as the Mark III, but with the grip, grip angle and control layout of the 1911 .45 auto. I have the 4 inch bull barrel. Now they're even tapped for sights. You could put on a sweet little red dot scope . . . B|

It's hard to beat Ruger's value. They make really good firearms for a very reasonable price. :)
Bring it on up and we'll head to the range. :)

:P

Plenny range ammo around. The good ammo is hard to find tho[:/]

Really?[:/]

My favorite carry piece is my Sig P-229, .40 S&W, but I have the .357 barrel to change it over. I rarely do, though, but I have the brass and dies and reload my own. I also have some Winchester personal defense hollow points in .357 Sig, but since my life is pretty peaceful, I haven't really smoked through the box of those.;):)

Why do you say the Ruger can never be suppressed? I have seen more suppressed Rugers than any other model.

You know, this it the SC, so I just have to say one more thing about suppressors. In the U.S., we listen to the incessant whine of gun haters and fight dearly to hang on to our firearms. They tell us of civilized Europe, which has achieved the Nirvana of "reasonable" gun control and has no violence. :S On vacation in France with Vskydiver, I saw, in the window of a sporting goods store, a nice little .22 rifle, package deal, include a scope, box of ammo, and a silencer, all for 700 francs, about $100 US back then. No permits, no taxes, no sweat. Now that's what I called enlightened.B|

Does the Walther price include the Class 3 license and tax stamp to get the suppressor in the first place?

Yes the gun+supressor is $500 and the NFA is $200.
Muff #5048

Impact Guns sells the real deal. They also carry a variety of machine guns for purchase.... That is if you have over $10,000 min. I think the light .30 they had was like $30K.
Muff #5048

ruger mk gets my vote. I have one set up for range shooting and love it. If you get the 22/45 it is set up very similar to and has the same grip angles and such as the 1911. If I were you I'd read up on it if you were going to choose this gun because it has mutiple barrel options and you can really get the barrel that you feel suits how you are going to use the gun.

Glock 357 sig;)

Might as well go for the 10mm auto! ;)

Glock 357 sig;)

Might as well go for the 10mm auto! ;)

Hah! Had a guy try to sell me one last time I was in the gun store to pick up my Ruger. The price was very tempting, but I think the 10mm is kinda pointless. Oh yeah, my vote is for the Ruger, btw.

Not to hijack the thread (ok, maybe a little!) what do you all think about the H&K MK23? I know it's pretty unnecessary, but I just want one!
The best things in life are dangerous.

I like my Glock 32 in .357 Sig. It was a gift and it is really a tack driver. My Kimber SIS is also a beauty but it is a little on the large side for every day carry. But for just messing around I think the H&K USP tactical is nice... but then again I've never met a pistol I didn't like. So if I had my choice i'd take all of them.