rushmc

Another Nutter with a Gun

The 32-year-old Norwegian man arrested for gunning down children on a holiday island and detonating a car bomb in Oslo has been named locally as Anders Behring Breivik.

Described as 6ft tall and blond, he is reported to have arrived on the island of Utoyadressed as a policeman and opened fire after beckoning several young people over in his native Norwegian tongue.

Reports suggest he was also seen loitering around the site of the bomb blast in Oslo two hours before the island incident.

Authorities now claim 91 people were killed - in Oslo and on Utoya Island, 50 miles north of the capital, it was claimed.

Norwegian police said at least 84 were killed at Utoya alone and described the killings as of 'catastrophic dimensions' and 'the work of a madman'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017709/Anders-Behring-Breivik-arrested-holiday-island-massacre.html#ixzz2sopMQk4C

From the "Tebow" thread a question arises that is applicable to the question about just who is a "normal" vs "nutter".

Normal people aren't complete saints or sinners, but a bit of both. The world is not black and white but 6 billion shades of grey.

My question was, and is for this thread.:

Define your colors. Which ones are "normal" and which ones are "nutters"? Then was can try to prevent the off-colored people from obtaining guns. I hope nobody changes colors in mid-stream.*
Good luck.

*And of course, they do...without warning...both before AND after they have means to hurt others.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Old news. I can only assume that these posts of yours are in the "Two wrongs make a right" category?

Nutters with guns are bad news anywhere in the world. The USA is the only western nation in which we make it particularly easy for nutters to get guns.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Old news. I can only assume that these posts of yours are in the "Two wrongs make a right" category?

Nutters with guns are bad news anywhere in the world. The USA is the only western nation in which we make it particularly easy for nutters to get guns.

Dr. Kallend....... You are aware of what happens when one assumes? But, enough of the childishness.
The posts are self evident. There are "nutters" everywhere, including jurisdictions where draconian gun restrictions have been in place for a very long time.
The issue, is people. Not guns. I could have also posted two more articles from Munich about a man beating another to death over a McDonald's burger. The other about a man man who stabbed two little girls to death in their bedrooms. Their uncle, in fact.
If someone has it in their soul to kill, then they will kill.
That's the point you miss, way too often.

The USA is the only western nation in which we make it particularly easy for nutters to get guns.

actually, the USA makes it easy for citizens to get guns

how do you address 'unproven nutters' without violating the rights of law abiding citizens - for now, you're coming off (as you know and you do it on purpose) as pretty much stating all citizens = nutters

perhaps you'd examine their voting records and decide which pig is more equal than the others?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The USA is the only western nation in which we make it particularly easy for nutters to get guns.

actually, the USA makes it easy for citizens to get guns

how do you address 'unproven nutters' without violating the rights of law abiding citizens - for now, you're coming off (as you know and you do it on purpose) as pretty much stating all citizens = nutters

?

When "all citizens" dress up as Santa and then shoot 6 members of their family at Christmas, or open up on co-workers at work, or kill a bunch of citizens and seriously injure a congresswoman at a shopping mall, or shoot 33 people on a college campus, I will agree with your analysis.

Fortunately, this behavior is NOT normal in the USA. In almost all of these cases there were clear warning signs that were ignored.

When "all citizens" dress up as Santa and then shoot 6 members of their family at Christmas, or open up on co-workers at work, or kill a bunch of citizens and seriously injure a congresswoman at a shopping mall, or shoot 33 people on a college campus, I will agree with your analysis.

Fortunately, this behavior is NOT normal in the USA. In almost all of these cases there were clear warning signs that were ignored.

Now we're getting somewhere - what were those warning signs prior to the incident?

Are they easy to implement into approval criteria?

Are those signs significantly different than things the 'normal' people do (ie rant on the internet, have grudges, etc etc etc)

If so, then you actually do have a good start.
Right now, I'm skeptical (but open to the discussion) that most of your warning signs are really something truly indicative - vs just 20/20 hindsight type of offerings

of course - anything that's truly substantial would then fall under the category of "profiling" :ph34r::ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I guess my worry with your position, Doc, is that this "clear evidence" would likely reside in authorities doing a google search on an applicant's internet traffic - would require knowing all their on-line identities in order to do a thorough review - and then have to make a grey line drawn to decide what is 'normal' and not normal.

suddenly, we are talking about control of free speech being contingent upon exercise of other rights - free speech being held hostage

and what about people with no internet presence, then do we pay the expense for background checks that include interviewing acquaintances? is just the lack of anything reviewable considered not normal?

it becomes pretty intrusive, pretty fast

who would do the checks? our buddies at Homeland Security?

just some thoughts

Edit: frankly, just DZ.com traffic, I'd say you'd have to pull the gun rights from all of these jokers on Speaker's Corner completely - this is as complete a gang of homicidal nuts as I've ever been lucky enough to associate with electronically :ph34r::ph34r: - opinions are dangerous!!!

Dr. Kallend: I assume you are capable of answering simple questions put to you in the English Language.

Therefore, for emphasis:

How would you have prevented these shootings without depriving the law abiding of their rights?

I'd take the advice of experts on mental illness and the Constitution, rather than pretending that there isn't a problem (like you do).

That's a pretty blatant falsehood, given your constant carping on Cho and Loughner.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Twaddle.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Twaddle.

Having a little credibility problem today, Mike?

Twaddle.

Nope....sure aren't.

Same can't be said for you...unless, of course, you have hard proof on individuals who, after having been adjudicated mentally defective or admitted to a mental institution, have then gone to a gunstore and bought guns.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Twaddle.

Nope....sure aren't.

Same can't be said for you...unless, of course, you have hard proof on individuals who, after having been adjudicated mentally defective or admitted to a mental institution, have then gone to a gunstore and bought guns.

So you AGREE with the position that the criteria are currently too lenient, such that they don't identify many of those who are clearly deranged.

Twaddle.

Nope....sure aren't.

So you AGREE with the position that the criteria are currently too lenient, such that they don't identify many of those who are clearly deranged.

Nope. If only you had some proof...maybe you should get back to work on your telepathic future crime machine.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Twaddle.

Nope....sure aren't.

Nope. If only you had some proof...maybe you should get back to work on your telepathic future crime machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minority_Report??

Twaddle.

Nope....sure aren't.

So you too think Cho and Loughner are normal. Your definition of normal is quite different from mine.

Twaddle.

Nope....sure aren't.

So you too think Cho and Loughner are normal. Your definition of normal is quite different from mine.

I didn't say *THAT* either. Maybe you should spend more time working on that telepathy machine and less time trying to put words in people's mouths.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If you don't think Cho and Loughner are mentally disturbed and you don't think they are mentally normal, what DO you think they are?

Never claimed they weren't mentally disturbed, either.

More worky, less lame ventriloquism attempts.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I see no issue with responsible gun ownership and registration. Those who scream it is against the Constitution to require a formal register format, i think need to step back and rethink their position

Registration has lead to confiscation. And I seriously doubt the founding fathers would have thought that registration would be a good idea.

Remember they wanted the 2nd to be able to fight against a rogue government..... Hard to do when they govt knows what you have.

If you don't think Cho and Loughner are mentally disturbed and you don't think they are mentally normal, what DO you think they are?

Human?

"Normal" is used by people on that side of the fence to describe themselves when talking to people on this side of the fence...regardless of what the dividing fence is about.

Registration has lead to confiscation. And I seriously doubt the founding fathers would have thought that registration would be a good idea.

Remember they wanted the 2nd to be able to fight against a rogue government..... Hard to do when the govt knows what you have.

...and can then come, in armed force, to take it away...out of fear that you might do something out of the so-called "norm".