CanuckInUSA

Canadian Politicial heading to USA for Heart Surgery

So basically there are different opinions about this procedure and Williams, a man with the means to pursue more than his insurance would offer, made a personal health decision. Good luck to him.

Yep and I don't have a problem with that at all. It doesn't mean there is a flaw in the Canadian system.

Is shows that if he would have been covered for the procedure recommended by the doctor, but with him being in a position of wealth he was free to get a 2nd opinion with the answer HE wanted and chose the type procedure that was not recommended or covered
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

More minimally invasive approaches are the future of surgery. Physicians that aren't already utilizing minimally invasive techniques are behind the times.

Not if the Risks are higher and it's not as effective. The rates of stroke are higher in the minimally invasive procedure he had done the the repair to the valve is not as effective. That's why the doctor doesn't offer or recommended it.

>>"Hugues Jeanmart, a cardiac surgeon at the Montreal Heart Institute, and nearby Sacré Coeur Hospital, disagreed with Mesana, saying the less invasive surgery is as safe and effective as traditional methods, with fewer complications. As well, he said the advantages of the procedure, which has been around since the 1990s, are more pronounced than Mesana suggests, particularly when it comes to recovery.

"(Patients) have less pain, they have less chance of bleeding (and) the risk of having a chest infection is very, very low," Jeanmart said. "The patient can leave the hospital and, as soon as they're home, they can do what they want."

Recovery from the larger chest incisions, known as sternotomies, typically takes about six to eight weeks because more time is needed for bones to heal."

---

When it comes to minimally invasive surgeries (MIS) there are usually fewer end risks than with traditional/open surgery. This is dependent upon the skill and experience of the surgeon. Since MIS is a newer technique there will be a learning curve and likely some greater risks in the hands of inexperienced surgeons.

Eventually, the procedures that are now being offered through MIS will predominantly/exclusively be done over traditional open surgery. The surgeons that do not move forward with the advancements in their fields will be left behind.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Just think of how much good the $8 Billion that was spent for the 2 week Olympic party could"ve done!

Almost as good as the 2 billion dollars the Liberals stole from the Canadian tax payer with their bogus gun registry. At least with the Olympics there was a benefit. There were economic spin offs and the definitely some added "national pride" which even I enjoyed. Tell me what benefits have we seen from the gun registry?

Nada ... nothing ... only Liberal theft and the insanity where fools continue to think criminals register their weapons. How do you like them apples? :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Just think of how much good the $8 Billion that was spent for the 2 week Olympic party could"ve done!

Well, we could have built LRT to Richmond (wait, that was part of it), we could have improved the most deadly highway in the province (nevermind, that was part of the 8B as well), uhm,.. build some low rental housing to mitigate the worst homeless problem in the country (uh, tick, done), improve the recreational infrastructure, mount an awesome tourism promotion campaign, and throw a big party to get the rest of the world to pop by and help pay for it all.
Naa, bad idea.

You should not compare the 1976 Olympics in Montreal to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The Montreal Olympics were pure corruption committed by certain organizations who were paid to build the facilities but in turn pocketed the money and did little to no work. When Vancouver was awarded the Olympics the economy was beginning to boom. Very few people predicted the global economic recession.

But what does Montreal or Vancouver have to do with Danny Williams? Seems to me Mr Williams paid for his own medical care with his own money. Mr Williams should have a say in how is own life is lead, he should have a say in how his medical care is handled shouldn't he? Or do we give up all our own personal sovereignty and instead our future is dictated by government bureaucrats?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over