Gene03

Jesus Rifles

You might not be aware of this, but when you delete a message on the forums . . . I can still read what you wrote.

Again, if you took a self imposed time out from this situation tonight, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing you could do. I'm not banning you, I'm not even threatening to if you decide to continue to post. I'm saying it just might be better for your mental health to calm down a bit.

I did a bunch of Zen Buddah shit and feel really calm now.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You might not be aware of this, but when you delete a message on the forums . . . I can still read what you wrote.

Again, if you took a self imposed time out from this situation tonight, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing you could do. I'm not banning you, I'm not even threatening...

ooh I wanna know what they said now!!:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Again, if you took a self imposed time out from this situation tonight, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing you could do. I'm not banning you, I'm not even threatening...

ooh I wanna know what they said now!!:D

It dropped out of your view at an acceleration rate of about 9.807 m/s^2

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It dropped out of your view at an acceleration rate of about 9.807 m/s^2

And your point is? septic tanks 'are' full of shit?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

They believed America is a Christian nation and if you chose not to believe its best to keep your mouth shut.
[Blue] Started out as a Christian nation - ok. But not now. Wanting people not to shove their ideologies in you face is a different matter - for either side of that coin - a terrible value for either those accepting or not accepting of a specific religion, including atheism. On either side telling people to shut up is a TERRIBLE value [/Blue]

They believed that sex between members of the same sex was queer and if you wanted to participate it is best to not talk about it.
[Blue] No, people have differences. Wanting people not to shove their ideologies in you face is a different matter - for either side of that coin - a terrible value for either those accepting or not accepting of a gayness. On either side telling people to shut up is a TERRIBLE value [/Blue]

With respect to these responses. In our family we did not tell others to "SHUT UP." Our values were discussed within the home. Outside the home we interacted mostly with those folks who were most like us and avoided those who were not.

In reality doesn't everyone behave this way? Everyone belongs to some sort of clique where they share mores, folkways, customs, traditions and beliefs and generally condemn the others who are different. I am not afraid to admit it. I looking for a few Christians here.

They believed that if you have to go to war make sure you do everything you can to completely destroy your enemy.
[Blue] NO, like an individual - you do what it takes to stop the aggression. If you don't have to, you don't annihilate the other[/Blue]

You last sentence is on target. However, when you go to war, you start with the assumption that annihilation is necessary. Then the battle plans are altered according to the facts of the war.

Remember, the purpose of a battle plan is to provide a common base for change. The first casualty of battle is the plan.

I have no desire to gag anyone. I want all the liberals to clearly identify themselves.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I have read the replies to you. You are right on the money.

Really? Sure about that?

Do you believe that non-believers in christianity should have to shut up? Is that the American way? Is that in the Constitution?

Do you believe that gays should shut up about being gay? Wasn't it only a week ago that you responded to the "Conservative argument for Gay marriage" thread with a very different stance? Guess you changed your mind again real quick.

No jakee, no one has to shut up. However, what they say does not necessarily have enough merit to be acted upon. For example, demanding antisocial behavior or stating strong opinions about another persons country. It is like the continual dripping of a faucet throughout the night.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

have you ever travelled outside of the USA?

Yes I have. When I was outside I was very careful. When I returned home I was greatly relieved.

We used to feel safe here until the liberals began to gain power.

I can always count on you. You really don't like America do you? Who holds you accountable?

Ron...sigh. This is what - the fifth? sixth? seventh? time you've "replied" to me this way? When you want to discuss the issues hotly debated, let me know.

With respect to you, I want to find out who you are as a person. I only know you through your intellectual pontification.

(edited for civility)

He was talking about his family, not the country - perhaps you missed that in your rush to condemn him for not being PC enough.

He was talking about what his family taught him about "what America is about". Perhaps you missed that in your rush to defend any conservative against any liberal no matter what the subject.

I mean seriously, do you honestly think that what he stated in his post is "what America is about", or are you just defending him because it's me?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

No jakee, no one has to shut up.

ASo you don't believe in what you father tauaght you? Gay's shouldn't speak about it, but they shouldn't shut up? Non-christians shouldn't speak about it, but they shouldn't shut up? What? A little consistency would be nice.

However, what they say does not necessarily have enough merit to be acted upon. For example, demanding antisocial behavior or stating strong opinions about another persons country.

What? Non-christianness is anti social behaviour? being gay is anti social behaviour? A sexual relationship outside of marriage is anti social behaviour? What?

jakee, jakee, you are not able to follow American English train of thought.

Your responses do not refer to what I am posting. I think you are skimming my posts and forming an opinion on the first few words. I am addressing your questions before you ask them.

I have read the replies to you. You are right on the money.

Really? Sure about that?

Do you believe that non-believers in christianity should have to shut up?No! and that is NOT what he posted. You on the other hand seem to think it is the oposite Is that the American way? Is that in the Constitution?

Do you believe that gays should shut up about being gay? No, I dontWasn't it only a week ago that you responded to the "Conservative argument for Gay marriage" thread with a very different stance? Guess you changed your mind again real quick.Nothing has changed. I feel they can do what ever they want in the bedroom but I should not have hear about it and I feel they should have legal couple rights, just not marriage

You on the other hand projected exactly what you accused me of . You need to borrow my mirror
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This goes to everyone.

I think it is safe to say that the socical envioronment of today, and even the last 10-15 years has much more influence on who we are as people than it did in the past generations. Now I think we have seen that all generations have to deal with good and bad examples of those "fashioned" personalities, but, that they most certainly are different. I didnt even have an email address until 2001... now, 8 yr olds have facebook accounts.

Character is not exclusive to any generation but definitely requires discernment especially into todays social envioronment.

In my grandparents' time the social fabric was like sackcloth, and in our time it is more like microfiber. So, im not saying older generations had it wrong, but it is safe to say that we are where we are because of history and change is inevitable whether it is believed or not.
"We didn't start the fire"

The famous peace symbol, displayed by warriors as well hippies, is from the Wiccans or some like religion.

You're misinformed. It has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with the nuclear disarmament movement and semaphore flags like old school Navy signal men held in their hands and used to signal each other ship to ship.

The two downward diagonal lines form the "N" and the vertical line forms the "D". Nuclear Disarmament.

Gotta love how you've made the symbol fit your own view of the world though.

Not me pal. That's the way it was explained to me back in the day. It was called the "Broken Cross" or "Crow's Foot" and had occult significance.

You believe lots of things that have no factual basis.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The famous peace symbol, displayed by warriors as well hippies, is from the Wiccans or some like religion.

You're misinformed. It has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with the nuclear disarmament movement and semaphore flags like old school Navy signal men held in their hands and used to signal each other ship to ship.

The two downward diagonal lines form the "N" and the vertical line forms the "D". Nuclear Disarmament.

Gotta love how you've made the symbol fit your own view of the world though.

Not me pal. That's the way it was explained to me back in the day. It was called the "Broken Cross" or "Crow's Foot" and had occult significance.

You believe lots of things that have no factual basis.

Except this belief did have factual basis. You didn't far enough into the thread. Way to go quickdraw.

Except this belief did have factual basis. You didn't far enough into the thread. Way to go quickdraw.

So, if you believe something that is wrong, as long as it's based on somebody else's belief that has nothing at all to do with reality, it's ok. You're still right.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, if you believe something that is wrong, as long as it's based on somebody else's belief that has nothing at all to do with reality, it's ok. You're still right.

Get real! In 1972 I wasn't writing a term paper. It was just campfire talk between sport parachutists. Another quickdraw, and you missed me also.:D:D

My value system is based on ... They believed America is a Christian nation and if you chose not to believe its best to keep your mouth shut.

The US system of law owes more to the Magna Carta and English common law, as well as Enlightenment principles, which were largely originated and promulgated by the French.

The Iroquois Confederacy’s “Great Law of Peace”, a participatory democracy that guaranteed freedom of religion, expression and other rights later incorporated in the U.S. Constitution, was another influence on the Founding Fathers. One notable difference was that the Iroquois ‘Constitution,’ dating back to at least 1400 AD (& perhaps as early as 1100 AD), extended rights to women.

Was President Jefferson influenced by his Christian deist beliefs (which more closely resemble the Unitarians) and practice as an Anglican in writing the Constitution? Of course.
Was that the only influence? Of course not.
President Jefferson wrote "I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know.”

Did his observation/interpretation of problems lead to the “no religious test” clause of the Constitution, i.e, “no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States” (Article VI, Section 3)? One can speculate.

What inspired President George Washington’s letter to the Jews of Rhode Island, in which he wrote about the importance of the US example of separation of church and state:
“The Citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for giving to Mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy: a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship.

“It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it was by the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection, should demean themselves as good citizens.

I speculate that a significantly under-recognized reason why the US Constitution -- an amazing document im-ever-ho -- has been so successful for so long (relative to other governance documents) is its foundation in civil (not religious) law and the wisdom of the drafters to suspend their own egos, if only momentarily in a few cases, and adapt/adopt/borrow from multiple sources!

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

It's interesting how many conservative pundits decry the rise of secular humanism, and complain that people nowadays are turning their back on Christian faith, in supposed contrast to the founders of our country, etc.

And yet you can find blatant examples of what could easily be called secular humanism in the writings of Jefferson, Washington, and others (Lincoln, for example. Yes I know he was not a "founding father.")

Many of those guys would have had a VERY difficult running as a Republican candidate for President today, due to their complex or humanistic or even ambivalent attitudes towards Christianity.

Many Americans seem to place MORE importance on religious belief (for politicians) now than they did in earlier centuries.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

My grandfather was born in 1882 and my grandmother in 1892. My father in 1913 and Mom in 1918. They were from Ohio and Kentucky.

Do you believe that non-believers in christianity should have to shut up?No! and that is NOT what he posted.

Yes, it is.

Do you believe that gays should shut up about being gay? No, I dont.... I feel they can do what ever they want in the bedroom but I should not have hear about it

What? You think that gays shouldn't shut up, but you also feel that you shouldn't have to hear about them being gay?

Um, if gay people talk about being gay, I'm afraid that you are going to hear about it from time to time. The only way you can not hear about it is if they shut up about it, which you just denied wanting. See the contradiction here?

You on the other hand projected exactly what you accused me of.

No, unfortunately that pesky attention to detail thing is getting in your way again. Concentrate on understanding the posts you're reading and being consistent in what you're writing and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Get real! In 1972 I wasn't writing a term paper. It was just campfire talk between sport parachutists. Another quickdraw, and you missed me also.:D:D

I'm so sorry Ron, I realise now that I've done you a great diservice and I owe you an apology. It was entirely juvenile of me, and derogatory to you, to suggest that you were basing your knowledge on "what some guy told you at a bar". It is obvious to me now that knowledge based on "what some guy told you round a campfire" is an entirely more forceful and logical intellectual proposition.