jclalor

But our pit bull is great with our kids

I was attacked by a dog when I was a similar age, it bit me in the face and i still have the scars.

I pulled its tail! it turned in response and bit my face.

it was put down for doing so, it should not have been.

3 year old kids and dogs do not mix, i cannot speculate whether or not this dog was to blame or the parents, the article was not definative enough.

The dog was aggressive towards the responders so it seems as though it was vicious/had been mistreated by its owners.

Moral of the story, don't leave you 3 year old kid alone with a dog, not just a pit bull, but any dog.

Kids like to pull fluffy things and dogs don't like being prodded and pulled and will retaliate against anyone or any thing less authoritive than them.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Why would someone own a dog they know could kill or maim thier child?

Any dog can do that!

Don't you mean, why would someone leave a dog and a 3 year old kid to play together?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Not necessarily, it is 100 times more likely to be a dog that is owned by idiots who have no idea how to train the animal.

Statistically there are probably more pitbull attacks than other types of dogs but I'll put money on it that it is more down to the type of person the owner is than the dog itself. Here in the UK pitbulls and staffies are favorites amongst gang members and are trained to be aggressive.

No offense to any pitbull/staffy owners here, the morons that train them to be aggressive or have no idea how to train them give the dogs a bad name.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

I was attacked by a dog when I was a similar age, it bit me in the face and i still have the scars.

I pulled its tail! it turned in response and bit my face

I am betting this dog did not clamp down on your throat and shake you. Big difference in what the average family fido will do verses what a pit bull will do

Moral of the story, don't leave you 3 year old kid alone with a dog, not just a pit bull, but any dog.

yes. Any dog can misbehave. Especially if it's not been trained and properly socialized by it's owners. I don't leave my 3 and 6 year old alone with my English bulldog (a breed that's known to be mellow and good with kids) because he's a dog, and kids can be kids, and as much work as I've done with my bulldog, he might react badly.
--
Rob

I am betting this dog did not clamp down on your throat and shake you. Big difference in what the average family fido will do verses what a pit bull will do

don't bother debating with this one folks. It's clear from the comments they want the breed exterminated. Regardless of the owner's actions, it's clearly the breeds fault.
--
Rob

The article is vague. There is no info about how the family came to own this dog. I never in a million years would own a rehabilitated fighting dog, even if it's "mellow" towards people or I'm a second coming of Cesar Milan. You don't know how it was treated. For all we know, the kid was poking and prodding him for a long time and he just snapped. In any case, the parents should be held responsible for their child's death.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

it bit me in the face
it was put down for doing so, it should not have been.
don't leave you 3 year old kid alone with a dog, not just a pit bull, but any dog.

absolutely it should have been put down - for whatever reason, once it's bit, it could do it again - fault isn't the issue, the act is. Blame the owners, blame 3 year old self, blame you parents (rightly so or not in each case) - whatever. The dog still dies.

agree with the second comment

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Any dog can, but on average it is 100 times more likely to be a pit bull.

Although pits are more likely than other breeds to be involved in a fatal attack, you are pulling the "100 times" out of your ass. The link here shows that 27% of fatal dog attacks between 1979 and 1998 were reported to be purebred pit types, and 4.1% reported to be crossbred pit-types.

http://old.swivel.com/graphs/show/20898144

Pits are more likely to be involved to fatal attacks because the people who own them tend to be less responsible for the dogs, and often less responsible with their children. Pits also tend to be big and strong, so the result of their bite can be more serious than other breeds. Talk to anyone who has worked in an animal shelter and they'll tell you that the little dogs are much more likely to bite. People don't report chihuahua bites like they do pit bull bites. Breed determination is also often difficult, leading some non-pit dogs to be labelled pits because they bite someone.

If you really think that the only reason this child was killed is because the dog was a pit, then you are sorely misinformed about general dog behavior.

- Dan G

Any dog can do that!

Sure, but I've never had to retreat and then shoot a Yellow Lab!

I had to do that to prevent being attacked by a Pit Bull Thanksgiving day 2008.

Are there nice pit bulls raised by good owners born at a good breeder? Sure. Are there horrible pit bulls raised by owners who want to have a "badass" dog that was born through back yard breeders? Yup, and in my experience out on the street, those bad dog/owner combos outnumber the good ones literally 100:1!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've owned dogs all my life. Sure training and management of a dog is important, but so is the breed. Some dogs are naturally more aggressive. Temperment is one thing that is bred into a dog.

Remember that lady who owned that huge male chimp. It was cute and loveable. To her this was her baby. She treated this monkey well all of it's life. Then one day it tried to eat the face off of her friend.

Would you raise a wolf pup and think nothing bad would ever happen. I don't care how careful you were, or how good you were to that pup, there would always be the chance of somebody getting hurt bad.

A pit bull may have a lot of power in it's bite. But so does a black lab for that matter. I have no doubt that even a lab could do serious harm if it wanted to, but aggression is not bred into them like it is into a pit bull.

I don't mean to pick a fight with anyone. But this is how I see the problem. Please educate me, if you think I'm wrong....

Bullshit!!

You are 100 times more likely to HEAR ABOUT a Pitbull attack than other breeds.

Never forget that the #1 agenda of the press is "How can we scare you today". The press has done a great job in Vilifying Pit Bulls. People are scared of Pit Bulls and the press loves to cover any time one is involved in an attack.

Kids get bitten by dogs everyday but you dont hear about it unless it is a Pitt Bull or other "Bad Breed".

I grew up with a Pittbull as a Family pet. She was the sweetest and most loyal dog you could imagine (as Most Pitts are).

My brother currently has Pitt bull and a Black Lab living with his 3 small children. Guess which one has nipped the kids? Also guess which dog made sure the Lab will think more than twice before she does it again.

There are some bad Pitts out there. Some owners take pride in how "Bad" their Pitt Bull is and make them aggressive but the vast majority of Pitts are Loyal, Sweet dogs that are very protective of their families.

Aggression may be bred into some fighting dogs, but that is not all that pit bulls have been bred for. Besides the obvious physical characteristics of a strong jaw, thick neck, and high musclulature, loyalty is also of prime importance. Loyal dogs will fight for their masters, unloyal ones (regardless of physical attributes) are used as bait animals or culled as pups.

Owning a big, powerful dog like a pit (or lab, or standard poodle) is a responsibility. Responsible dog owners don't leave their 3 year old unsupervised with any dog.

- Dan G

A pit bull may have a lot of power in it's bite. But so does a black lab for that matter. I have no doubt that even a lab could do serious harm if it wanted to, but aggression is not bred into them like it is into a pit bull. ....

a friend's daughter was face-bit by a black lab when she was about 7. The girl has permanent scars (after the reconstructive surgery). This was a gentle family dog, it was NOT provoked, she was just standing there.

They are pets, not family. Watch your kids, watch your pets. If a pet bites, it absolutely should be killed. No matter how sweet it normally is/used to be.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Some dogs are naturally more aggressive. Temperment is one thing that is bred into a dog.

An example of wasting your breath, not because it's wrong (it's not), but because nobody wants to believe it and nobody wants to listen to it; thus it will be ignored, or at best, "rebutted" with personal anecdotal evidence.

An example of wasting your breath, not because it's wrong (it's not), but because nobody wants to believe it and nobody wants to listen to it; thus it will be ignored, or at best, "rebutted" with personal anecdotal evidence.

Some breeds are more aggressive. Chihuahuas, pomeranians, and daschunds are some of the most aggressive breeds out there. They bite all the time. Should we ban them?

- Dan G

Any dog can, but on average it is 100 times more likely to be a pit bull.

Although pits are more likely than other breeds to be involved in a fatal attack, you are pulling the "100 times" out of your ass. The link here shows that 27% of fatal dog attacks between 1979 and 1998 were reported to be purebred pit types, and 4.1% reported to be crossbred pit-types.

http://old.swivel.com/graphs/show/20898144

Pits are more likely to be involved to fatal attacks because the people who own them tend to be less responsible for the dogs, and often less responsible with their children. Pits also tend to be big and strong, so the result of their bite can be more serious than other breeds. Talk to anyone who has worked in an animal shelter and they'll tell you that the little dogs are much more likely to bite. People don't report chihuahua bites like they do pit bull bites. Breed determination is also often difficult, leading some non-pit dogs to be labelled pits because they bite someone.

If you really think that the only reason this child was killed is because the dog was a pit, then you are sorely misinformed about general dog behavior.

Here is where I received my info:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Some breeds are more aggressive. Chihuahuas, pomeranians, and daschunds are some of the most aggressive breeds out there. They bite all the time. Should we ban them?

No, we should marinate them in Chinese sesame oil with a little dijon and ginger.

Who said anything about banning anything, The breeds you just mentioned do bite a lot but they do not go for the kill. I just could never figure out why someone would buy a breed that has the instinctive nature not just to snap or bite at you but bite and crush your trachea and kill you.

Are there nice pit bulls raised by good owners born at a good breeder? Sure. Are there horrible pit bulls raised by owners who want to have a "badass" dog that was born through back yard breeders? Yup, and in my experience out on the street, those bad dog/owner combos outnumber the good ones literally 100:1!

I'm not going to argue with your experience, but what is the ratio of your contact with the general public? How many "good" folks vs "bad" do you see out on the street?

How often do you end up in the nice neighborhoods, talking to people who know how to raise their kids and train their dogs.

Or are you more likely to be dealing with the less nice members of your community?

And Pit Bulls are more likely to attack. They're Terriers. A class of dog that is bred to chase, attack and kill it's prey. Pit Bulls are the largest (and most dangerous) of the terriers. Most terriers are the little "ankle biters". Like my Yorkie. They are bred to keep vermin in check. They are bred to go after anything that moves fast. Have you ever seen a small terrier go after a chipmunk (or mouse or rat or rabbit or...) They are vicious little killers.

My dog goes after anything that moves fast. If someone runs past him, he gives chase. It's an instinct. I've tried to train it out of him, but he will go after ankles if stimulated.

My neighbor has one that is a sweet little Silky Terrirer. Looks exactly like mine, but a bit smaller.

It catches and kills just about every small animal that comes into the yard. Mice, chipmunks, baby rabbits.
Standard Terrier behavior.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

They are agressive, because their owners neglect to teach them good manners thinking their little pumkin' doesn't need them. Small dogs with bad attitudes are usually neurotic, fearful creatures who think they are in charge of the whole family.
The same attitude in a so called "bully breed" is no laughing matter. I'm in the "don't blame the breed, blame the owner" camp, but certain breeds, including pits, should not be handled by beginners, or people with certain personal traits.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I just could never figure out why someone would buy a breed that has the instinctive nature not just to snap or bite at you but bite and crush your trachea and kill you.

There are a couple of falacies in your statement. First, responsible people don't buy a dog, they adopt one from an animal shelter. Responsible shelters temperment test their animals, don't adopt dangerous dogs, and don't adopt to irresponsible people.

Second, pit bulls do not have the instinctive nature to grab your trachea and crush you. That is pure media bullshit.

Please see the attached picture from New Years of our two viscious dogs (a pit mix and a GSD mix) grabbing the trachea and crushing our friend. I mean, they can't help it, it's their nature.

- Dan G