SpeedRacer

After a while, both political sides sound the same.

Nader made similar arguments in 2000, which led to him pulling a bunch of votes from Gore in Florida, allowing Bush to "win" Florida. Now I'll grant that had Gore been in office, there's still a good chance that 9/11 would have happened and that the invasion of Afghanistan would have followed. However, I strongly doubt that we would have invaded Iraq. That's about a trillion dollars, several thousand American lives, and an unknown number of Iraqi lives different. Sometimes small differences can be significant in the long run.

No, it's not just you. A lot of people have arrived at that very same conclusion. Too much whining and posturing in DC in the first place, while nothing substantive is accomplished. :(

Too bad the Libertarians aren't a more viable alternative than either the Dems or the Repubs. One of these days....:)

Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

unfortunately when a libertarian candidate comes along, there are too many lunatic-fringe types who cling to his coat tails making the entire party look bad.

Fringe types nearly all tend to feel at war with the government, so they sympathize with a group devoted to reducing government's power. Then the rest of us are stuck with them.

I really don't know what the answer to this is.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

unfortunately when a libertarian candidate comes along, there are too many lunatic-fringe types who cling to his coat tails making the entire party look bad.

Fringe types nearly all tend to feel at war with the government, so they sympathize with a group devoted to reducing government's power. Then the rest of us are stuck with them.

It's a product of our two party system. Both parties govern from the center because they know that most of the fringe voters in their party will vote for them regardless (because to protest them by not voting or by voting for a minor party candidate could lead to the opposition winning). Instant-runoff voting would help fix that, allowing better representation of all elements of society (even the whackos) which could lead to a legislative body that would actually build legislation through intelligent debate and compromise instead of the ridiculous system we have now where you can't get shit done if you don't have a super-majority in the Senate. Sadly, it'll never happen because there's no way either party is going to enact a system that would guarantee they'd have less power.

Is it just me, or does the whining from the Right during this administration sound like the whining from the Left during the previous administration? Different topics, of course, but same general tone.

Yep, really dissapointed with Obama for giving on HC and furthering the ME wars. Not to mention applauding Bush's continued prescription drug heist. The only real difference I see between the D's and the R's is the D's are actually less bad for the economy than the R's; by a lot.

It will be fun to read the replies where the R's here try to skew the numbers and convince us that the R's aren't primarily responsible for the economic mess, but that is the major real diff between the 2 parties. I still like Obama, but am dissappointed. So many things are systemic, meaning they occcur on either/both sides, but this fascist mess we call the USA is really run by 1 entity/ideology with minor variations from either side.

Now come the even nuttier Libertarians who will try to convince us that cutting most taxes will fix everything, even tho history shows the exact opposite.

Nader made similar arguments in 2000, which led to him pulling a bunch of votes from Gore in Florida, allowing Bush to "win" Florida. Now I'll grant that had Gore been in office, there's still a good chance that 9/11 would have happened and that the invasion of Afghanistan would have followed. However, I strongly doubt that we would have invaded Iraq. That's about a trillion dollars, several thousand American lives, and an unknown number of Iraqi lives different. Sometimes small differences can be significant in the long run.

Agreed; there is a diff, sometimes we need to use a microscope. Let's face reality; the US is a fucked up country aside from its politics.

No, it's not just you. A lot of people have arrived at that very same conclusion. Too much whining and posturing in DC in the first place, while nothing substantive is accomplished. :(

Too bad the Libertarians aren't a more viable alternative than either the Dems or the Repubs. One of these days....:)

Nothing? The GDP tanking for 4 of 5 Q's, the recession started in mid-late 07 while dipshit did nothing but wait for it to fix itself and you say nothing substantive? See teh GDP since? The GWB stock market? The Obama market? Now the GWB freefall in unemp has been curbed and the stimulus and bank repayments will go to that. I know the typical Republican, "they're all the same" waterring down of their (Repubs) atrocities to the poor include saying bith economies are the same and always have been, but unless you disregard history they are entirely different. You can take other issues and make that argument, but the issues relating to economic data are so uniquely different with talking R's to D's is a joke to pretend otherwise.

Gross Capitalism doesn't work. The answer is to become quasi-Cap, quasi-Soc and it will work as it does in countries that employ that system. Cutting the military is also a major start, spending close to 1 T per year between military spending and the wars is easily the culprit. Taxing the rich more is also a good start, whether we raise the top brkt or eliminate deductions, the rich are so filthy that the poor are worse than many countries.