hcsvader

The War On Athiesm

those are very clever, well researched and very humerous presentations.

Thanks for sharing.

I am Agnostic, and belive many that self proclaimed Athiests are actually also agnostic, but have never heard of the term or considered what it means, as I was!

Athiests are usually athiests because they do not believe compiled garbage rather than being sure or definative about the origins of life.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Sorry man, all I heard was sad mockery, I just feel sorry for him really... but, death is a thief, and even a thief can find life. Some of Gods greatest testimonies are forged just like this. I am amazed sometimes how he reveals things through the Gospel.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Edited to add: I did laugh at some of those things though:D:|[:/]:D[:/]:|
"We didn't start the fire"

I am Agnostic, and belive many that self proclaimed Athiests are actually also agnostic, but have never heard of the term or considered what it means, as I was!

Hmm. I have never seen a perfect agnostic yet; they all say it is not known whether there is God, but it doesn't matter. What matters is what they do. If they follow Christian teachings, go to church and so on (very unlikely, but still possible) - even though they do not believe in God - they're in fact Christians. And if the possible existence of deity in the sky does not affect their life at all - they're in fact atheists.

As Dawkins said, "a distinction between agnosticism and atheism is unwieldy and depends on how close to zero we are willing to rate the existence of any given god-like entity."

Athiests are usually athiests because they do not believe compiled garbage rather than being sure or definative about the origins of life.

Nope. Atheism is "absence of belief in the existence of deities". It is irrelevant to the origins of life.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Hmm. I have never seen a perfect agnostic yet; they all say it is not known whether there is God, but it doesn't matter. What matters is what they do. If they follow Christian teachings, go to church and so on (very unlikely, but still possible) - even though they do not believe in God - they're in fact Christians. And if the possible existence of deity in the sky does not affect their life at all - they're in fact atheists.

Why would someone who goes to church and "follow(s) Christian teachings" call himself an agnostic? I can see an agnostic visiting churches, synagogues, mosques, et al. trying to figure it all out. Lots of people live their lives a good people practicing morals many consider "Christian values," but that doesn't mean they're religious.

even though they do not believe in God - they're in fact Christians.

Isn't believing in God, even without physical proof, sort of a requirement for the Christian faith (or any other religion regarding its god)?

Your post doesn't really discuss agnosticism, talking only about Christians and atheists. As you say, agnosticism really just means you're not sure what exactly you believe (or that the human mind can not ever know) regarding the existence of God/gods and the doctrines surrounding religion. That doesn't mean that some don't try to figure it out.

I think some people term themselves agnostic when they have a pretty good idea about what they believe but there's no term for it (it doesn't quite fit in with any religion or ideology).
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I can see an agnostic visiting churches, synagogues, mosques, et al. trying to figure it all out.

nonsense - the whole point is that it CAN'T be figure out by definition

an agnostic recognizes that there is no way to prove or disprove a being that is 'defined' as acknowledged by FAITH alone - Faith being a condition of belief existing in the total absense of any proof.

An agnostic doesn't care one way or the other. Believers and Atheists seem to care quite a bit. Both about their own faith, and especially about what others believe on a totally subjective issue.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

An agnostic doesn't care one way or the other. Believers and Atheists seem to care quite a bit.

Actually, there are plenty of atheists who could not possibly give a rat's ass what other people believe; they just don't want their or their children's lives controlled by the incorporeal beliefs of others.

>There is no war on atheism, the war is on Christianity.

There's no war on either one, just some oversensitive victim types who like to wail about the injustices done to them.

> It's high fashion to be an atheist these days.

It's even higher fashion to be a poor, persecuted Christian.

An agnostic doesn't care one way or the other. Believers and Atheists seem to care quite a bit. Both about their own faith, and especially about what others believe on a totally subjective issue.

Who says agnostics don't care? They can be confused and searching, hoping to prove themselves wrong. Knowing something (that you can't find proof) doesn't necessarily mean you don't hope you're wrong or want to search for proof before declaring it impossible.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

an agnostic recognizes that there is no way to prove or disprove a being that is 'defined' as acknowledged by FAITH alone - Faith being a condition of belief existing in the total absense of any proof.

Nonsense. An agnostic doesn't know. He or she might actually care quit a lot, You might even find one that gets worked up about the fact that other people (theists or atheists) think they do know.

Similarly many atheists don't believe themselves but don't care what anyone else thinks, and many moderate theists vaguely believe but don't let it impact their life or affect their judgement of others.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

[Agnostics] can be confused and searching, hoping to prove themselves wrong. Knowing something (that you can't find proof) doesn't necessarily mean you don't hope you're wrong or want to search for proof before declaring it impossible.

Most of the agnostics who I've known in real life have resembled what you describe above. Most have described themselves as 'searching' or 'searchers'. Some of the most inquisitive and probing conversations on spirituality and religion that I've had have been withs self-described agnostics or doubters; it's non-scientific sampling so ymmv. Maybe I'm just more approachable/perceived as more likely to be interested in the conversation, so more of the caring agnostics are willing to talk to me?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Flintstones Creationism

Is that the one that says the Earth is only 6,000 years old, so dinosaurs and man lived side-by-side, as in The Flintstones?

yep. It's not easy to cram all that natural history into 6000 years. That doesn't even go back to the last Ice Age.

Most Mainline Protestants and Catholics do not subscribe to it.

Here is what happens when you try:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/sumerians_look_on_in_confusion_as
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>There is no war on atheism, the war is on Christianity.

There's no war on either one, just some oversensitive victim types who like to wail about the injustices done to them.

I believe your right as far as the religions themselves are concerned, but some may argue there is a "war", within our thoughts... what you believe shapes what you are, and what you are is part of a story.
"We didn't start the fire"