marybalfanz

AFF level 4

Hi, i'm doing AFF level 4 this weekend and I have a couple worries, hoping to get some advice. First of all leg position. Are my legs supposed to be apart or together? I've been told to keep my legs together, so I must be keeping them to far apart. How exactly are they supposed to be? My other problem is pulling the toggles down, I really have to struggle to get them down. I started lifting weights, i'm sure that will help but I wouldn't mind a few helpful suggestions, thanks.

Talk to your instructors about your concerns, but in the meantime. Your feet should be about shoulder width apart, just as if you were standing normally. As fot the toggles, if you are trying to pull down with your hands out in front of you ar out to the side, it will make it more difficult and give you less control. Pull them down close to your body. Have your instuctors demonstrate.

Thank you for the tips. I Did tell my instructor about the toggle thing and he was perplexed, he couldn't understand why I couldn't get them down. It shocked me when it happened. I wasn't expecting it, i thought flaring would be a simple thing but i could only get the toggles half way down for landing which resulted in a very hard landing, and a sprained ligament. A new instructor told me to get them half way down then turn my arms around and push them down instead of pulling them, and that did help. I was able to get them all the way down but still with a struggle. I really think lifting the weights will help, but seeing as I just started using them today and my jump is in 2 days I don't think I will have built up enough strength by then.

Don't feel too bad about the toggles. I had a hard time on the student canopies and my first rental canopy pulling them down. On my personal Pilot main, they toggles are so easy to pull its rediculous. It may not be you, but the equipment or a combination thereof.

David

On my AFF3 a couple weeks ago I flared several times at high alt to get my slider to come down the rest of the way, and had no problems. When it came time to flare for real my left arm stopped half way and my right continued, causing a slight turn. I didn't know what was going on so I threw more weight into the left toggle so I could land evenly, ever since I have had pains in my shoulder :( Still waiting for an apt with the Orth....I'm kind of skitish about jumping until I'm confident in my arm.

But anyway more on topic, I have been having a hard time with the toggles on my student gear also, and was told push-ups and working on my tricepts would be a big help.

You could always try to practice pull toggles down (flare) in above 1,000-1,500 feet. That's easier to practice when in AFF training. I did that several time when I was in AFF1-7. ;)

the catch that if if the pull force required is at or beyond the edge of her strength, each rep takes a little out of her.

I never had a wingload under .8, so it's hard for me to relate. Definitely talk to your instructors more about this. Unless there is a technique change you certainly won't get much stronger this week.

I had that problem with toggles at first too, weirdly enough after downsizing from a 270 to a 230 it got worse :S. Another student found the same thing too but the instructors all thought we were crazy, since the smaller it is the easier it's supposed to be!
I'm used to it now, I think as you said in an earlier post, it's about getting more of a pushing action than a pulling action, and also practicing up high helps. Try to use your shoulders and upper arms to put the weight into pushing the toggles down, rather than your forearms.

You could always try to practice pull toggles down (flare) in above 1,000-1,500 feet. That's easier to practice when in AFF training. I did that several time when I was in AFF1-7.

With your jump numbers you might want to be careful about what advice you give. Your numbers are not even at sport level yet and definitly not an instructor and I notice you giving advice to students in AFF.

If my AFF instructor had seen me playing with my canopy from 1000 to 1500 Id have gotten a lecture. Even at my 100 jump wonder status I am always told when playing with the canopy do it above 1500 .... and the rest of the time was for awareness of the landing area.

To the original poster. Talk to your instructor, I had a similar problem with my flare... mine was due to lazyness in the fact that with my wingloading a partial flare is all I needed to have a stand up. It was a bad habit and I got out of it. Dont be to hard on yourself and until you learn the instructors on here I would take everything with a grain of salt. That being said there are alot of great experienced people who wade through our newbie posts daily to give feedback that is very valuable.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Hi, i'm doing AFF level 4 this weekend and I have a couple worries, hoping to get some advice. First of all leg position. Are my legs supposed to be apart or together? I've been told to keep my legs together, so I must be keeping them to far apart. How exactly are they supposed to be? My other problem is pulling the toggles down, I really have to struggle to get them down. I started lifting weights, i'm sure that will help but I wouldn't mind a few helpful suggestions, thanks.

Hi Mary,

I looked at your profile and am pretty sure you're jumping at my home DZ. Haven't met you yet but will be sure to say hi if I see you. The mantas are pretty big canopies but you should be able flare them. You might just need to work on technique some. The main reason that I am posting though is because I don't think you should go overboard on lifting weights. If you do too much of that you are going to wear your arms out and that will make it harder to flare. I am not saying you shouldn't work on some weight training, its always good,.. just don't go nuts with it and try not to go to overboard on it today if you are jumping tomorrow.

Get with one of the instructors and go over exactly how your doing everything in the air and practice it a few times. It might be more of a mental thing than physical.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks Fast. I am jumping in East Troy, hope to see ya there. I did lay off the weights a bit cause I was getting a little stiff. I'll just do the best I can tomorrow.

hiya, dont worry too much. My instructors really helped me loosen up, and after that i never had any problems with the basics anymore.

(heh "never had" sounds like it was ages ago. Im up to a whopping 21 jumps now ;P so i have extensive experience ;P)

Have fun!

You are paying for professional instruction in a high risk sport. You should most definitely be discussing these issues with your AFF instructor and/or the S&TA at your DZ.

Not that you won't find good advice here and there, but at this point in your skydiving career, you need to be careful whom you ask because you don't know what you don't know.

Most new skydivers complain of low back pain and there's little people like me (106lbs) who had some work to do with managing a bigass canopy. Your muscles, if you're a healthy human being, will train-up with you. :)

Have fun, be safe. Smile on exit!
Attitude is everything!

Wow 106? You must have had some muscles to get them toggles down. I have spoken with my instructors and they are really great, I just need to build up some upper arm strength. I'm gettin there.:)

Just be careful. If you have any concerns whatsoever in the slightest just make sure you ask your instructor/coach. I'm entirely new to this sport, but I realize you can not let any questions go unanswered because it could cost you your life.

If you ever feel uncomfortable about a jump for any reason discuss it with your Instructor. Thats what they are paid to do and every one I've met so far is more than happy to answer any questions you have.

And remember, never ever jump unless you're comfortable with your health, the altitude, the weather, your equipment and anything else.

I think this can be a safe sport if you play it safe, cautious and follow those guidelines.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I think this can be a safer sport if you play it safe, cautious and follow those guidelines.

With that slight edit, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You could always try to practice pull toggles down (flare) in above 1,000-1,500 feet. That's easier to practice when in AFF training. I did that several time when I was in AFF1-7.

With your jump numbers you might want to be careful about what advice you give. Your numbers are not even at sport level yet and definitly not an instructor and I notice you giving advice to students in AFF.

I was told to do that by instructors and ground teacher, I trusted them and it's perfect practice. I thanked them! :ph34r:
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

I was always told to do the practice flares at very high altitudes. But 2k feet and below is all about making sure what direction the wind is going, looking for obstacles in the landing zone, etc. But I am in no position to give advise since I am a student, I am simply stating the information given to me.

I wish you all luck on your flares and hope for blue skies for us all:)
My drinking team has a skydiving problem