The_Don

How do you feel?

He bought a house with restrictive covenants.

He tried to get permission to put a flagpole up, but was denied. He put it up anyway.

They aren't prohibiting the flag, just a big pole.

If you don't like restrictive covenants, don't buy a house that has them.

Pretty straightforward to me.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So how would feel about a 21 foot totem pole depicting something that you find offensive in your neighborhood. Like a Nazi themed pole.

Hey, it's just a pole....

Personally I don't see what the big deal is except if you buy within a homeowners association be prepared to follow the rules or buy elsewhere.

Tis a sad day when people bitch about a man trying his best to back HIS country. :|

No argument on that.

But it doesn't change the rules under which he bought his house.

Again, they aren't objecting to the flag, just the big pole.

Some people wish to have their neighborhood free from things they object to, be it boats in the driveway, goofy lawn statues, or ugly house colors.

If he didn't do his research before buying the house, it's his problem.

I'd make a lot of sacrifices to avoid buying a house with those kind of covenants. Others won't buy without them. Their choice.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I agree that he maybe he shouldn't of moved into a place that has rules like that. But I would never tell the guy no, especially after reading about him. He single handily took 17 germans captive and killed 8, in one day! The Next day he blew up a tank because he was bored. He can fly a flag out my ass if he wants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot
Stop looking at me

I'll answer both of you.

Anyone who would bitch about this.

Thy need to think about what that flag means.

Just my opinion.

The flag means freedom. Freedom to choose where you will and won't live. Freedom to make covenants for a neighborhood where people choose to live.
If one covenant is violated, then other covenants must be violable too. That's what the flag stands for. Freedom, equality, and this guy should know that above all others.

He applied for permission. They turned him down. He then put it up anyway. [:/]

I'm in his corner, even though the covenants may go against him. I think the homeowners' association should have approved the flag pole first time around. He's earned it and the American flag makes any neighborhood look better. Besides, it reads as if he remembers to take it down at night, like you should.

I've seen many H/O assoc. committee members that acted like they had bugs up their a$$es, going off on personal power trips.>:(

Ya. I know it's going to SC.

I DON'T CARE, THIS IS STUPID AS HELL!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579147,00.html?test=latestnews

Agreed. Yes, rules are rules and he did know about them when he bought, but I've been a member of several HOAs and every single one has looked past their own board of directors breaking the rules, intentionally misinterpreted the rules to "punish" someone they didn't like, etc.

He can have a flagpole in his yard. In this case fuck the rules. The man earned the right to have a flagpole in his yard. I'd be willing to bet none of the assholes trying to stop him even have a flag on the front of their house.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Personally, I'd let him keep the flag pole... Yeah, I know the rules in his association say he can't.... But damn folks he is the LAST CMOH recipient from WWII still alive.

Frankly, the board should have approved him the first time and been honored to have him live there.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'd say he's earned the right to stick the flag up the HOAs ass. However,If it were me, I'd display the flag another way and then set out fucking with the HOA in any way I could by finding the loopholes in the covenants and bitching about every thing I could find against them.

I'd say he's earned the right to stick the flag up the HOAs ass. However,If it were me, I'd display the flag another way and then set out fucking with the HOA in any way I could by finding the loopholes in the covenants and bitching about every thing I could find against them

OK-the HOA is well within their rights to rule as they did.

But-I can't believe they were stupid enough to force the issue knowing what kind of PR nightmare it would be.

+1, +1

I can't say much extra after these two posts.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd say he's earned the right to stick the flag up the HOAs ass. However,If it were me, I'd display the flag another way and then set out fucking with the HOA in any way I could by finding the loopholes in the covenants and bitching about every thing I could find against them.

You'll make a good angry old retiree.:P
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The guy's wrong, and the HOA is stupid. They could have turned this into a major score if they'd put a big flagpole up in a park, or an entrance to the HOA or something, and put him in charge of it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)