airdvr

What I love about SC

I came for the tolerance, but I stay for the insightful discussions....

That's funny right there! :D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Then why do you stay?

I depend on you to enlighten me....to show me the errors of my ways :D

Here's one right here:

Interesting article. On the surface it would appear that people died because they had no coverage. In reality they died because they got sick or injured badly.

My car doesn't have all of the safety devices of say, a Mercedes. If I die in a car accident one could say I died because I didn't have a Mercedes. Same logic.

First, let me say :S. This is more futility in arguments. I think the AMA would laugh at this for days. Firstly, preventative medicine is neccessary and your plan doesn't provide for that.

Secondly, you can't go have a pain checked out if you have no insurance, you have to wait until it becomes debilitating, which by then it may be too late. Say with a weakening appendix, cancer onset, etc. And by then, it may have aggravated so much they can't save a person.

As for your safety analogy to the Mercedes. That would be logical if the compassionate party (not the R's for clarity) wanted everyone to have top-notch HC. But we don't, we want everyone to have Chevy Chevette coverage, so your analogy is busted.

To think basic HC is a luxury or not neccessary is just bizzare on a world standard.

Firstly, preventative medicine is neccessary and your plan doesn't provide for that.

Could you finish the thought about necessity? What makes it necessary, or why is it necessary?

Looking for you to finish the thought. Not disagreeing about necessity - just want to know exactly why you think it is necessary.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Firstly, preventative medicine is neccessary and your plan doesn't provide for that.

Could you finish the thought about necessity? What makes it necessary, or why is it necessary?

Looking for you to finish the thought. Not disagreeing about necessity - just want to know exactly why you think it is necessary.

I WROTE: First, let me say :S. This is more futility in arguments. I think the AMA would laugh at this for days. Firstly, preventative medicine is neccessary and your plan doesn't provide for that.

---> These guys seem to think so: http://www.acpm.org/finalproof_90.pdf

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/no-index/about-ama/13678.shtml

---> And this is great, even summarizes the number of deaths taht could be prevented annually... youdo want that, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventive_medicine

Hypertension 7.8
Smoking 5.0
High cholesterol 3.9
Malnutrition 3.8
Sexually transmitted infections 3.0
Poor diet 2.8
Overweight and obesity 2.5
Physical inactivity 2.0
Alcohol 1.9
Indoor air pollution from solid fuels 1.8
Unsafe water and poor sanitation 1.6

---> This site really summarizes it http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-preventive-medicine.htm

When preventive medicine is applied to a whole population, it includes things like:

- extensive work in public health,

- pest and insect control,

- vaccinations,

- food safety, and

- improvements in hygiene for water supplies, homes, and individuals.

Not to mention being able to have aches and pains checked out that sometimes turn out to be cancerous and could have ressulted in a life saved, rather than chemo and an early death, as the cancer was too far spread.

Of course I don't most conservatives really care about stuff like this.

How would better health care prevent deaths due to poor diet? The solution there would seem to be a better diet, not more visits to a doctor.

Or indoor air pollution from solid fuels? Wouldn't reducing the pollution be the answer there, rather than going to a doctor who says "you're sick because of indoor pollution, that will be $200 please?"

Or physical activity? How does going to a doctor increase your physical activity over, say, going to a gym? Unless the doctor was far away and you had to walk.

Hey, you might have something there, actually. Pass a law abolishing handicapped spots, and require all parking lots to be located at least a mile from any medical facility. Then a visit to the doctor would also mean getting some exercise!