virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

Im not religious at all, but I hope like hell I'm dead and gone it this ever comes true!!!!! Looks like the women in here better get used to wearing a burqa and getting the shit kicked out of them by there husbands. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAH
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

I've read your posts in the past that were rather anti-religion (that I often found myself agreeing with, mind you).

I still am anti religion. They're all bullshit, including (very much so) Islam. However the issue isn't about whether I like it or not, it's about whether the state should be able to legislate against any particular religion in this way, and I don't think it should.

Your first reply to me in this thread was an attack on the democratic process as the "tyranny of the majority,"

On the unchecked democratic process, yes. Without any limits on pure democracy it becomes very easy for a majority to take away the rights of a minority. Pure, unlimited democracy is incompatible with a fair and free society. To me, the extra freedom is more important than the extra democratic power.

now you're ranting on about how the banning of a structure restricts Muslim immigrants' freedom,

I have not once mentioned immigrants. How carefully have you been reading?

So though I don't know what you're replying to, it is obvious what you're ignoring. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

A) What am I ignoring?

B) No, I'm arguing because I have a particular viewpoint that I have clearly and consistently articulated, and which no-one has yet demonstrated to be false.

If you think you can show me that I'm wrong, please do so, just don't tell me that I'm not talking coherently and consistently about this issue, or that I'm not directly addressing the arguments that are made against me, because that is simply not true.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

now the christian peoples party, a parte of the middle, probably the one with "no face" is jumping on the bandwagon; propose to ban future muslim and jewish cemetaries, forbid headscarfs, not allow other religious holidays..

now, if there's a populistic asshole, that would be said president of said party!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yes, as a non-muslim country, Switzerland has every right to ban building minarets. If the muslims have a problem with that, why don't they just fuck off to a muslim country if it's that big a deal to them?:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Yes, as a non-muslim country, Switzerland has every right to ban building minarets. If the muslims have a problem with that, why don't they just fuck off to a muslim country if it's that big a deal to them?:)

I have a better idea. How about, given that the UK prides itself on being a democratic republic in which human rights and respect are paramount, if every Brit citizen who feels that way just fucks off to a country in which none of that is the case? The UK fought WWII for a reason; and that kind of attitude disrespects the sacrifice of every Brit serviceman who ever fought in that war.

>Yes, as a non-muslim country, Switzerland has every right to ban
>building minarets.

The US is a non-muslim country, but it would be unconstitutional to ban one religion's buildings here.

(Perhaps you meant non-constitutional non-muslim country.)

As a non-Jewish country would Germany have the right to ban synagogues?

Im not religious at all, but I hope like hell I'm dead and gone it this ever comes true!!!!! Looks like the women in here better get used to wearing a burqa and getting the shit kicked out of them by there husbands. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAH

that video was hilarious. Talk about scare mongering. I like how they include the "helpful" quote that 40% of Russia's military will be islamic - they don't do that for anyone else. Also the US is the only country to exceed the "magical" 2.11 figure without islamic migrants.

Since the video claims that muslims are fucking themselves into world domination, they should organise swinging partiies in churches to help get the birthrate up and increase church attendance:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

That's a weak analogy, considering that Switzerland hasn't banned mosques. Not to mention that there's no structure on a synagogue that makes noise.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

That's a weak analogy, considering that Switzerland hasn't banned mosques. Not to mention that there's no structure on a synagogue that makes noise.

Nice dodge. As we've already discussed up-thread, the Swiss law is not a noise restriction; even a "silent" minaret would still be banned. The law is all about the visual symbolism of a single religion - as made clear by its actual original proponents. It's a tap-into bigotry, plain and simple. To try, now, to tell us otherwise is to insult our intelligence.

It's not supposed to be an analogy, I'm testing to what extent Vortex applies his logic.

(And minarets in Switzerland do not make noise.)

It's not supposed to be an analogy, I'm testing to what extent Vortex applies his logic.

(And minarets in Switzerland do not make noise.)

not YET! unlike in (germany's) (fight) not too long ago.. :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Nice dodge. As we've already discussed up-thread, the Swiss law is not a noise restriction; even a "silent" minaret would still be banned. The law is all about the visual symbolism of a single religion - as made clear by its actual original proponents. It's a tap-into bigotry, plain and simple. To try, now, to tell us otherwise is to insult our intelligence.

The ad for the measure put out by the party is undoubtedly a tap into bigotry.

The reasons why each person voted for the measure is not necessarily motivated by bigotry; they could be motivated by objective, non-bigoted observations of what happened in other European countries in recent years (where minarets *do* make noise) -- and not wanting a repeat in their own country. Refer to VB's last post, above.

So I'll ask you again: is a democracy only free when a populace votes the "correct" way?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

So I'll ask you again: is a democracy only free when a populace votes the "correct" way?

'Democracy' and 'freedom' are not the same thing. An unchecked democracy can and will vote to restrict the freedoms of minorities within the state.

What do you think is more free, a state where a simple majority can vote to do absolutely anything to any group of people, or a state that has limits on what a simple majority can decide?

'Democracy' and 'freedom' are not the same thing. An unchecked democracy can and will vote to restrict the freedoms of minorities within the state.

What do you think is more free, a state where a simple majority can vote to do absolutely anything to any group of people, or a state that has limits on what a simple majority can decide?

Is it a democracy when a minority has moved in and has grabbed your balls so that you can no longer demand that your country maintain its own customs and heritage because you are too fucking afraid of them to do anything about it???

You've seen the result. Switzerland always decided for themselves since centuries. They are free, simple as that.

Deal with.

Again: Hats off.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Way to load up the question with hyperbole. It's not like Switzerland is requiring Muslims to register with the local police (or even banning Muslims from wearing headscarves for that matter).

Call it a dodge if you like, but I won't attempt to provide a reasonable answer to an unreasonable question.

Call it a dodge if you like, but I won't attempt to provide a reasonable answer to an unreasonable question.

I was treating this "So I'll ask you again: is a democracy only free when a populace votes the "correct" way?" as a general philosophical question unrelated to any particular incident and I answered in general terms.

I've said before that I'm more interested in the undrelying principles here than the actual case itself. I don't really care at all about minarets, I just like looking at the way people justify the decision.

>Is it a democracy when a minority has moved in and has grabbed your
>balls so that you can no longer demand that your country maintain its
>own customs and heritage because you are too fucking afraid of them to
>do anything about it?

Yes. See the Thirteenth Amendment.