virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

Switzerland has like 20% foreigners that live there legally. (And they can do that without pissing in a cup, drawing blood, beeing x-rayed and finger printed like you have to do in the land of the free btw.).

If they want to change things they can become a citizen and cast their vote...

You're probably one of the people that think Illegal Immigrants should have the same privileges as the citizens themselves?

No I am one of those people who actually understands the constitution. I also don’t just apply my rules some of the time when it is convenient. If it can not be applied to all then it can not be a rule unless I chose to be a hypocrite which I try my best not to be.

By the way Christians are still trying to force their agenda and their way of life down other peoples throats, just because you might agree with them doesn’t make them right.

That’s the point. That’s why this country is great. We don’t just do what the people want we do what our constitution states.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

You're probably one of the people that think Illegal Immigrants should have the same privileges as the citizens themselves?

No I am one of those people who actually understands the constitution. I also don’t just apply my rules some of the time when it is convenient. If it can not be applied to all then it can not be a rule unless I chose to be a hypocrite which I try my best not to be.

By the way Christians are still trying to force their agenda and their way of life down other peoples throats, just because you might agree with them doesn’t make them right.

That’s the point. That’s why this country is great. We don’t just do what the people want we do what our constitution states.

There you go again,,, "We do what the constitution States" There are so many changes and amendments to "The Constitution" it has become a joke!!!!! And the sad thing about it all is NON of "the People" voted those changes. The government did,,,,,unlike here in Switzerland were the people VOTED TO STOP THE FURTHER BUILDING OF MINARETS,, NOTHING MORE!!!

And for the people to rehash "OLD AMERICAN HISTORY" shame on you! Yes things happened hundreds of years ago to force "OUR" way of life on the Indians and enslave the Blacks but like I said it's 2009 and people shouldn't be forced to accept other peoples shit because it's politically correct.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

Switzerland has like 20% foreigners that live there legally. (And they can do that without pissing in a cup, drawing blood, beeing x-rayed and finger printed like you have to do in the land of the free btw.).

If they want to change things they can become a citizen and cast their vote...

Yeah they live here "Legally",,, hince the Legal part of this statement,,,, unlike home were about 20% are there "ILLEGALY" and get all the same benefits as the "LEGAL" citizens.

There was a time in history where the majority thought Woman should not Vote, should not Drive, and simply were not viewed as equal. Does that make the majority right?

There was a time where the majority of the population thought African Americans should be slaves or segregated. Were they right?

That’s what your missing just because a lot of people want the same thing it does not make it right.
If every one decides tomorrow that all Muslims in the US should be gathered up and killed our constitution will not allow it. Its not perfect and we have made mistakes but at least we know they are mistakes and do not try to show ignorance and racism as democracy.

There you go again,,, "We do what the constitution States" There are so many changes and amendments to "The Constitution" it has become a joke!!!!!

What part of the Constitution is a Joke?

And by the way that’s what you take an oath too not to your religion, not to the president,not to what you think is right but to the constitution. So if you think that’s a joke I am assuming you are not a US citizen.

There was a time in history where the majority thought Woman should not Vote, should not Drive, and simply were not viewed as equal. Does that make the majority right?

Still plenty of places in the world where that is the norm. and in many of those places what they did have through very small gains...it has been rescinded in recent years... and where might those places be?????

Hmmmmmm

Buehler??????

Buehler?????

There you go again,,, "We do what the constitution States" There are so many changes and amendments to "The Constitution" it has become a joke!!!!!

What part of the Constitution is a Joke?

And by the way that’s what you take an oath too not to your religion, not to the president,not to what you think is right but to the constitution. So if you think that’s a joke I am assuming you are not a US citizen.

I'am an American Citizen. I live in the US and I'm currently here in Switzerland. I spend about 6 months a year here with my girl friend.
What oath are you talking about? You mean the "Pledge OF Allegiance"???? The pledge that we as a country are no longer allowed to say in schools because we might offend people? People that have made us change as a nation so we don't offend them?

I'am not religious, but thats another thread. This thread isn't about US history,Indians,Slaves or any other part of the USA,, it's about a Country of people that have voiced their concern and have cast their VOTE to stop change in their country.

>You mean the "Pledge OF Allegiance"????

Yep - that pledge that politically correct activists changed in the 1950's to better conform to their ideas of religion.

>People that have made us change as a nation so we don't offend them?

Funny that you don't condemn the people who changed the Pledge of Allegiance to better support their religious views.

>This thread isn't about US history,Indians,Slaves or any other part of the USA . . .

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

> it's about a Country of people that have voiced their concern and
> have cast their VOTE to stop change in their country.

If Iran voted to remove women's rights - would you support them as well?

>You mean the "Pledge OF Allegiance"????

Yep - that pledge that politically correct activists changed in the 1950's to better conform to their ideas of religion.

>People that have made us change as a nation so we don't offend them?

Funny that you don't condemn the people who changed the Pledge of Allegiance to better support their religious views.

>This thread isn't about US history,Indians,Slaves or any other part of the USA . . .

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

Well do you think if we jump on them and "Force Our Politically Correct views on them it's okay........
What rights do women have in a Muslim Country??? Do you watch the news,, Oh I'm sorry for asking that question, in the US we only see propoganda TV.....:P

Iran and every other country of the world that has laws and views that are different from anyone else,,,,It's their right It's their country!!! It is completely Arrogant for anyone from any where else to demand that they change so that they don't get offended. If you don't like the laws and rules of your country, Repeat History as you say and MOVE AWAY like the colony's of the US did.

Yep. I mean, who actually _likes_ minarets? Standing around with their faces painted white, pretending they can't talk - not funny at all, just a little creepy. Not as creepy as clowns, of course.

LOL. Don't mention clowns they REALLY scare me.

I'm Irish so my religion is bigger than your religion - not.

All this religious shit scares me - seen that, done that, moved on.

>What rights do women have in a Muslim Country?

I take it you watch TV instead of reading, then. Read up on women's rights in Iran; the result may surprise you, and perhaps even conflict with what FOX News reports.

Of course, per your statements, you don't really care anyway.

>What rights do women have in a Muslim Country?

I take it you watch TV instead of reading, then. Read up on women's rights in Iran; the result may surprise you, and perhaps even conflict with what FOX News reports.

Of course, per your statements, you don't really care anyway.

I watch CNN London here in Switzerland.

How does everyone feel about Iran as a country, that they want to build all of these nuclear enrichment facilities? Hell they offended most of the world. Should we go in there "Guns Blazing" and make them see our point of view? Same thing is happening here.

I think a lot of people are talking past each other in this thread.

Islam is not synonymous with modern Sharia nor militant fundamentalism.
Minarets are associated with the former, not specifically with the latter.
Human rights violations are associated with the latter, not necessarily the former.

Therefore...

It's entirely possible to simultaneously abhor human rights violations, and not support a ban on minarets. They are not coupled closely enough for such a combination of opinions to present an insurmountable struggle within one's identity. Those who favor this ban should understand that of its critics.

However...

There ARE symbols out there that are very tightly coupled with human rights violations and/or advocacy thereof that continue to enjoy protection as forms of free speech only, imho, because of the general irrelevance that groups displaying them have brought upon themselves through the exclusion they practice. If, however, such groups rose out of irrelevance then fewer people, again imho, would argue these symbols were deserving of such protection.

In other words, if the Westboro Baptist Church wants to make signs/symbols professing that "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God For IEDs" and carry them in protest at funerals of soldiers then people generally say, "I don't agree but I support their right to free speech." They say this and then think to themselves, "...they're too crazy for anyone to actually listen to anyway..." Which is something that I think people hang their free-speech hat on, that nut jobs will always be seen as exactly that.

Excellent post overall, imo!

Which is something that I think people hang their free-speech hat on, that nut jobs will always be seen as exactly that.

Curious - how do you (or anyone else) differentiate the relatively harmless 'nut jobs' from the not-so-harmless ones?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

There are so many changes and amendments to "The Constitution" it has become a joke!!!!! And the sad thing about it all is NON of "the People" voted those changes. The government did,,,,,

It is obvious that you are a born citizen. Anyone who had to take the test would be more familiar with the way the U.S. constitutional amendment process works.

Which is something that I think people hang their free-speech hat on, that nut jobs will always be seen as exactly that.

Curious - how do you (or anyone else) differentiate the relatively harmless 'nut jobs' from the not-so-harmless ones?

/Marg

I rewrote the last two paragraphs of that post a few times before submitting it, so it's safe to say I'm still working out details and implications of what I wrote myself.

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I think one lies at the boundary of words and actions. Or in the case of proselytism, advocacy of ideas vs. advocacy of actions. Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire actually blurred the line between words and actions, making for an even more complicated problem. Also to be considered, is advocacy of ideas combined with tacit approval of actions tantamount to advocacy of actions? And how does one determine tacit approval?

I guess it's stooopid BASE to jump Antennas as well, is it?

Antennas have ladders. Minarets - I think that's just free-climbing. Dunno, I never really looked closely at one.

I would be incredibly surprised if they're not hollow;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

This thread is about Switzerland putting a freeze on building any new buildings, NOT RELIGION!!!! The whole Muslim shit just coincidental!!!!! :P

No, it's not. It's the entire reason for the initiative.

I realise it is on a local scale but does that make our (UK) planning laws "restrictive" on muslims. Surely you would agree that having a "dominant" structure built in a cotswold village full of listed buildings would be detrimental to the value of the houses?

Sure. And I have absolutely no problem with the Swiss or anyone else refusing planning permission for minarets at the local level if they're going to be detrimental to the look of a town or village. It's important to keep that picture postcard look in many of those places.

But this isn't about that, this is putting a blanket ban on them because they're muslim.

If the Swiss are proud of their architecture and would like to keep to a certain look and feel they are entitled to it.

It's not about that. It's about putting a blanket ban on them because they're muslim.

This thread is about Switzerland putting a freeze on building any new buildings, NOT RELIGION!!!! The whole Muslim shit just coincidental!!!!! :P

No, it's not. It's the entire reason for the initiative.

again, you seem to have deep and fundamental understandings of what switzerland moves!? how come? i know for sure ncjumpjunkie has been here like five or six times this year already; how many times have you been here in that time!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda