virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

The Muslims just blow people up that don't believe in their religion.

Maybe I sound like a "Bleeding heart liberal", but you sound like a moron. Let me explain it to you: muslims don't blow people, islamic integrists do. Do you get it, or is it still too complicated?

wow, you're really in that PA mood today, let's see for how much longer the mods will keep up with it..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yeah lets give them every thing they want!!!!! But when a country tries to regulate their own they cry fowl! This sounds a lot like the Mexicans in the US when the government talks about stopping them from invading the US.

Dude, we're talking about 'giving' them the shape of a building.

Not about letting them invade, not about letting them blow people up, not even about letting them broadcast the call to prayer - just the shape of a building.

They already have over 200 Mosques and 4 Minarets,,, how many more do you think can fit in the "Little Country" of Switzerland?

I think they probably could fit a few more than 4 before they start to dominate the skyline, yeah.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

ok, i'll get the swiss armed forces to bomb the shit out of them muslim minarets, that'll set an example of being good!

You don't need to. Just get a mob representing 57% of the Swiss population to attack Muslims. Breaking out all their windows in the middle of the night is passe; it's been done. May I suggest flaming torches, accompanied by shouts of "Burn the witch!"

Yeah lets give them every thing they want!!!!! But when a country tries to regulate their own they cry fowl! This sounds a lot like the Mexicans in the US when the government talks about stopping them from invading the US.

Not about letting them invade, not about letting them blow people up, not even about letting them broadcast the call to prayer - just the shape of a building.

They already have over 200 Mosques and 4 Minarets,,, how many more do you think can fit in the "Little Country" of Switzerland?

I think they probably could fit a few more than 4 before they start to dominate the skyline, yeah.

so, you're now in the position to judge what's good for our skyline, ey!? you must have intimate knowledge of either switzerlands political system, of how (in)tolerant we are, and what we think fits our country!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

now, let's look at bloody ncjumpjunkie, here's a man having found love in switzerland, and you know what's the first thing he does!? yea, he registers for a german course, nobody asked him to do that, BUT, he's trying to adapt to our society!

he's still a friggin' twisted redneck, but hey, ever heard of an AMERICAN trying to fit into things!? usually they make things (bigger) to fit them!

thanks john for being awesome, next beers are on me! ;)

Dude I'm just like all the other immigrants,,,, "I want everyone here to change to accommodate me" I want everyone to learn English, cause I think my "Human Rights are being violated" because I have to learn this hard ass language.;)
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

ok, i'll get the swiss armed forces to bomb the shit out of them muslim minarets, that'll set an example of being good!

You don't need to. Just get a mob representing 57% of the Swiss population to attack Muslims. Breaking out all their windows in the middle of the night is passe; it's been done. May I suggest flaming torches, accompanied by shouts of "Burn the witch!"

a mob!? now you bring out the really low strikes, ey!?

thank god i live in a democratic state that allows "the mob" to express their opinions and its not depending on who has the most spare change to win an election like in a banana republic..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

so, you're now in the position to judge what's good for our skyline, ey!? you must have intimate knowledge of either switzerlands political system, of how (in)tolerant we are, and what we think fits our country!?

I didn't say anything about what's good for the skyline. i didn't say I have any detailed knowledge of your political system. I didn't say that Switzerland is any more intolerant than any other country around.

I was asked if I thought Switzerland could 'fit' more than 4 minarets in it, I said yes. C'mon, it's small, but not that small.

Now, you're getting all defensive again. I've already told you that I'm not bashing your country, so you could put your nationalistic fervour away for now and actually have a sensible discussion, if you wanted to...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Maybe I sound like a "Bleeding heart liberal", but you sound like a moron. Let me explain it to you: muslims don't blow people, islamic integrists do. Do you get it, or is it still too complicated?

Okay "Smart Guy" where do you think the "Islamic extremist" come from?????? And they do "Blow People" up ALL over the world that don't believe in Islam!!! Where do they worship??? Do a Google search!!!!

Funny thing is, if this thread was about mexicans in the US, many posters would have a very different opinion, screaming it is all different.

Europeans have a real sense that they are being overrun by Muslims. In many European countries we are seeing a switch to a significantly more right wing political stance. As an example, look at the recent European Elections and the party in Holland that gained the most during those elections.

In many European countries, integration has completely failed, which is driving most of this.

Ask your average Texan what should be done with Mexicans" and you pretty much get the same answer as when you ask the average European what to do with muslims.

Funny thing is, if this thread was about mexicans in the US, many posters would have a very different opinion, screaming it is all different.

Europeans have a real sense that they are being overrun by Muslims. In many European countries we are seeing a switch to a significantly more right wing political stance. As an example, look at the recent European Elections and the party in Holland that gained the most during those elections.

In many European countries, integration has completely failed, which is driving most of this.

Ask your average Texan what should be done with Mexicans" and you pretty much get the same answer as when you ask the average European what to do with muslims.

I agree accept the part about "integration failing". It hasn't failed, people are just getting fed up with Immigrants, legal or Illegal going into a culture different than their own and demanding that people "Change their Culture" and beliefs to accommodate them, or they play the "Discrimination Card".
It's usually the ones screaming discrimination are the ones that are doing the discriminating!!!!!!

If people would adapt to where they are instead of trying to adapt the area, maybe people wouldn't get so pissed.

Okay "Smart Guy" where do you think the "Islamic extremist" come from?????? And they do "Blow People" up ALL over the world that don't believe in Islam!!! Where do they worship??? Do a Google search!!!!

Come on, you can't be serious! So basically, you're saying muslims are terrorists? All 1'570'000'000 of them? Does it mean that all christians are abortionist's murderers, for example?
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

Come on, you can't be serious! So basically, you're saying muslims are terrorists? All 1'570'000'000 of them? Does it mean that all christians are abortionist's murderers, for example?

I didn't say ALL Muslims are terrorist..... But they do "Blow People" up that don't believe. And Christians are pretty fucked up too!!!! ANY body that kills in the name of "Religion" is fucked up in my book!

I realise it is on a local scale but does that make our (UK) planning laws "restrictive" on muslims. Surely you would agree that having a "dominant" structure built in a cotswold village full of listed buildings would be detrimental to the value of the houses? If the Swiss are proud of their architecture and would like to keep to a certain look and feel they are entitled to it. If they want to see lots of middle eastern architecture they can pop over to Turkey.

I know it is not popular in Europe/UK but patriatism is good and it is one of the things that I like about the US:P. For some reason the English seem to be particularly anti-patriatism (don't know if that is a word), within the UK the Welsh, Irish and Scots are quite happy to mark their territory. Point being if seeing architecture as disruptive/violating your countries uniqueness - as a country you should be able to say so.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If people would adapt to where they are instead of trying to adapt the area, maybe people wouldn't get so pissed

This is just too stupid to let slide.

So do you think Any white Christians ever change cultures? Or effect other peoples lives when they moved to a new location?

Your either a hypocrite or extremely uninformed and yes those are your only two options.
:S
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I think it's a good thing when the People stick together on their believes, and the HELL with who they might offend. I wish it was this way in the US, maybe we could clean up this Screwed up Country.

Yes I am sure you always think that when they agree with you what about when they don’t? that’s why a system like that never works out in the long run. That’s why in the US we guarantee rights to all our citizens and believe the rights are god given.

So if the majority says kill all dumb ass uninformed people who comment on shit that they know nothing about. We still could not. The dumb asses would still be safe even if the majority thinks they are too fucking stupid to comment.

GET IT NOW OR ARE YOU STILL LOST.

.. patriotism is good..

You're falling into the common pit of confusing nationalism with patriotism.
What the Swiss are doing is nationalism, not patriotism.

http://www.mahablog.com/2006/02/19/patriotism-v-nationalism/

Patriotism is proud of a country’s virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country’s virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, “the greatest,” but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is. - Sydney J. Harris

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war. — Sydney J. Harris

Patriotism is a lively sense of collective responsibility. Nationalism is a silly cock crowing on its own dunghill and calling for larger spurs and brighter beaks. — Richard Aldington

The only reason they should not be allowed to be built is if there are pervious zoning laws that they violat or noise pollution laws that were previously in place.

If they simply choose to pick on one religions symbols and traditions then you don’t live in a free society.
Simple as that.

That one is all on me. Sorry Bill.

I just hate being called a terrorist or when it is implied that all Muslims are terrorists. Even the terrorist are not simply looking to make every one conform or die. Lets not pretend as if the west has not done enough to warrant hate. Or that the Europeans have clean hands. People who simply do not understand where the anger comes from want to always simplify it. It is not just the case of bad guy who are insane and just one day decided to hate, and good guys who have done nothing wrong. It gets under my skin when people try to make it seem that way because they are not informed. It also is disturbing to see people ready for action and filled with hate who really have no clue.

When you go to a place you should conform????????? Really that’s what the Europeans did?

Stevey wonder could see the error in that statement.

If people would adapt to where they are instead of trying to adapt the area, maybe people wouldn't get so pissed

This is just too stupid to let slide.

So do you think Any white Christians ever change cultures? Or effect other peoples lives when they moved to a new location?

Your either a hypocrite or extremely uninformed and yes those are your only two options.
:S

Yes the Christians changed cultures 100 years ago "Smart Guy" but this is 2009 and people aren't forced these days to accept things that thrown in their face.

So you are saying since Christians did it in earlier years ALL people should accept it now because they should be "politically correct"????

You're probably one of the people that think Illegal Immigrants should have the same privileges as the citizens themselves?

> It hasn't failed, people are just getting fed up with Immigrants,
> legal or Illegal going into a culture different than their own and
> demanding that people "Change their Culture" and beliefs to
> accommodate them.

Given that we are a country of immigrants (including your ancestors) all of whom have changed the culture of the US - I can't have _that_ much sympathy.

>If people would adapt to where they are instead of trying to adapt
>the area, maybe people wouldn't get so pissed.

Good point. So you speak Cherokee, I take it?

Culture is by its nature a changing thing. Trying to keep things so they're comfortable for a single group is a losing proposition.

That doesn't mean that people should just make everything comfortable for everyone, but it's completely unrealistic to expect the world to stay the way that we'd find the easiest.

Changes in the last 50 years include the inclusion of women and minorities in the possible pool of contenders for powerful positions and jobs (and that one's still not all done); the massive changes brought about by the increase in communication brought about by personal computers, 24-hour news and the internet, and the overall greater mobility of Americans.

Or should those go away too?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)