virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

and in that regard, you as a member of the UK should be pretty mute about; government-sanctioned torture of detainees!?

The UK has taken some major backward steps in terms of human rights over the past decade, and I'm very disappointed about that. But it's not really connected to this thread.

switzerland doesnt do that! ;)

I'm not bashing Switzerland, OK? I love Switzerland, I've spent a month or two there already this year and I'm heading back for Christmas. I've not got a problem with your country. I'm just talking about the limitations of pure democracy in response to a statement from another forum user. There's really no need to be getting so defensive!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

and in that regard, you as a member of the UK should be pretty mute about; government-sanctioned torture of detainees!?

The UK has taken some major backward steps in terms of human rights over the past decade, and I'm very disappointed about that. But it's not really connected to this thread.

I'm not bashing Switzerland, OK? I love Switzerland, I've spent a month or two there already this year and I'm heading back for Christmas. I've not got a problem with your country. I'm just talking about the limitations of pure democracy in response to a statement from another forum user. There's really no need to be getting so defensive!

now dont get defensive yourself my friend, i'm not having a go at you; i love my country very much, i'm kinda torn between the answers of the original question of this thread; i fear switzerland is giving up its identity in some ways; and dont really know what to think! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

since the election is coming up this sunday, what's the take of the mostly americans on this place!?

like, uhm, we have direct democracy here, so we can vote about all sorts of stuff..

Tampa FL has four minarets atop the University of Tampa campus buildings. They have become part of the iconic symbols of the city along with pirates and cigars. The UT has produced some great conservative leaders in local business as well as government at all levels. In fact, some of those leaders become pirates in February and smoke cigars on a regular basis.

The UT campus used to be The Tampa Bay Hotel developed by Henry B. Plant in 1891. In those days the Mideast represented camels and belly dancers. Thus the symbolism produced feelings of humor and titillation.

Therefore, as long as your minarets support the national value system they should not present a problem. However, if they represent marks on the score board toward world domination they should not be allowed.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

since the election is coming up this sunday, what's the take of the mostly americans on this place!?

like, uhm, we have direct democracy here, so we can vote about all sorts of stuff..

Tampa FL has four minarets atop the University of Tampa campus buildings. They have become part of the iconic symbols of the city along with pirates and cigars. The UT has produced some great conservative leaders in local business as well as government at all levels. In fact, some of those leaders become pirates in February and smoke cigars on a regular basis.

The UT campus used to be The Tampa Bay Hotel developed by Henry B. Plant in 1891. In those days the Mideast represented camels and belly dancers. Thus the symbolism produced feelings of humor and titillation.

Therefore, as long as your minarets support the national value system they should not present a problem. However, if they represent marks on the score board toward world domination they should not be allowed.

how can you tell!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

how can you tell!?

By discernment of the spirit.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

how can you tell!?

why did i even bother asking!? :S
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Whisky tasting?

FYI:

1 Corinthians 12 (New American Standard Bible)

1 Corinthians 12

The Use of Spiritual Gifts

1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware.
2You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led.

3Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is accursed"; and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

4Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.

6There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.

7But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.

8For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;

9to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,

10and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.

can you keep your missioning to your threads and please keep to the topic at hand!?

JackC asked a question. I provided the answer.

if you dont see the humour in it, it's not worth explaining.. :S

I am always amused by the SC forum.;):D

yea, we're reather astonished by your posts for the most part.. but not in a good way! [:/]
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

can you keep your missioning to your threads and please keep to the topic at hand!?

JackC asked a question. I provided the answer.

Ask a stupid question... :S

:D:D:D

and see if you get..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Maybe they could just ring a bell the way most Christian churches do.

I like the sounds of the real ones; and most of the electronic ones are tolerable.

Anything resembling human voices would be creepy and Orwellian though.

Although the bells me salivate.

I think the law should clarify that if they are going to be playing bells or something there needs to be a 7-11 or White Hen or something nearby.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I am not sure where your thought process in terms of majority/minority is going, but you simply can't have a society where nobody is offended. Bacon offends Muslims so should we stop selling it, should the good old English breakfast be removed because pork sausages are offensive?

As far as I can tell you have 2 options a democratic type model, or segregation.

As to the original topic noisy call's to prayer are an infringement on other people - move into the 21st century and do it over a radio station for goodness sake. Every Islamic household can have a radio turned on permanently and at full volume, everyones happy.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

> but that wont stop people from collecting signatures to pass laws from
>"the people" directly..

Agreed. But here, if you collected even 200 million signatures to return blacks to slavery, the Supreme Court would consult the US Constitution and say "sorry, the new law is invalid; says so right here."

There are amendments to the US Constitution that allows new laws to be implemented.
I read an article about the Prime Minister in Australia commenting on Immigrants that are trying to change the laws to what they want,,,,, It's a very interesting read.

It wont be long in the US before we see more and more changes because, people are offended and demand change. Like a few years ago in California when LAX Airport had to take down their Christmas tree because the Jewish Community demanded that they put up Hanukkah ornaments and threatened to sue if they didn't do it. LAX just decided the Hell with ANY ornaments.

What about in GOD WE TRUST on our currency, it's fading away.....

I say, if you migrate to a country or area, you need to adapt to whats there and the culture, DON'T Try to change them to suit you. Like the Australian Prime Minister said, "If you don't like Our Culture use your right to LEAVE"!!!!
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

I say, if you migrate to a country or area, you need to adapt to whats there and the culture, DON'T Try to change them to suit you. Like the Australian Prime Minister said, "If you don't like Our Culture use your right to LEAVE"!!!!

So, move out of your house/appartment and live in a tent/teppe, stop going to the supermarket and hunt with a bow and arrow... Afterall, I'm guessing that you're not an Native American:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

So, move out of your house/appartment and live in a tent/teppe, stop going to the supermarket and hunt with a bow and arrow... Afterall, I'm guessing that you're not an Native American:P

Actually my great grandmother was Cherokee Indian!! :P

Plus I'm here in Switzerland most of the time anyway. I don't expect the Swiss to all learn English because I'm here, I have to learn this hard language because I need to adapt to their culture. It's basically the same thing as the people demanding change to suit them in other areas. :P

Also think about what you said,,,, it rings true. The White people that moved to America took over once the population was majority, they "Changed" the culture of the Indians and changed the landscape to suit them. This same thing will happen in other areas once you have a majority of immigrants from other cultures, they too will demand change to suit them.
Why should people change to suit Immigrants in their own country??