mike_forsythe

How would you like health care to be?

Well, let's see. We've had tax penalties since 1861. Hasn't destroyed us yet.

In fact the country is far healthier economically under higher taxes than under low taxes.

no the country is healthier with lower debt, now we can achieve this either by cutting gov spending or by raising taxes, I'll choose cutting gov spending.

And when has my employer ever been penalized for not providing me with a house?

HUH?

I guess you didnt get the memo about businesses getting penalized if they don't cover "most" of the healthcare coverage costs for their employees ... Maybe you also missed the memo about how many people don't have jobs today because the economy has tanked... Yes, I'm sure some of those losses are people with big money just trying to pocket some more, but many businesses are really hurting and those cuts have had to be made just in the hopes that the company can survive... For those of us with jobs, many have recieved cuts in pay and benifits for the same reason, but got to at least keep a job. Consider the possibility that forcing employers to take on additional costs in this kind of economy just might cost more people their jobs ... That will help things a lot, we will really be on track then.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Then your taxman sucks!

No, not at all. I own my home and don't have a mortgage or debt. I live within my means. I only have one credit card and that is so I can rent cars when I travel. So my statement stands, I don't pay less income tax because I own a home.

Your situation is unusual, most people have heavy notes that they writeoff.

Then your taxman sucks!

No, not at all. I own my home and don't have a mortgage or debt. I live within my means. I only have one credit card and that is so I can rent cars when I travel. So my statement stands, I don't pay less income tax because I own a home.

My mortgage interest is less than the standard deduction, so I don't gain anything by itemizing. Then there's the property and school taxes.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If you don't buy healthcare you will get additional taxes..

Yea, $95 the first year and it goes up a little after that.

Well, now I can see why you keep saying you can't afford healthcare, if you're only making $3800/year (penalty tax is 2.5%).

Actually it's not that simple, we're probably both wrong.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/11/imprisoned-for-not-having-health-care/

the House-passed bill. That mandate requires people to have health insurance, unless they are below a certain income threshold ($9,350 for singles, $18,700 for couples in 2009). Those who don’t get coverage will be subject to a tax of 2.5 percent of their adjusted income beyond that threshold, up to the cost of the average national premium.

So it's gross adjusted, far diff from gross as you exemplified.

These are not sections of the House bill itself. Rather, they are sections of the current Internal Revenue Code, laying out the consequences of willful tax nonpayment. (Here’s section 7203, section 7201, and an additional section that sets a higher fine than 7201, as noted in the letter’s footnotes.)

Thee's the IRS code.

In the Senate, the Finance Committee’s health care bill was amended to nullify the possibility of jail time for not paying the penalty tax. It stipulates that in the case of nonpayment, "such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure." Instead, the Senate measure would allow the government to collect the tax by deducting it from any IRS tax-refund checks or other government payments. Should the full Senate approve that language, a House-Senate conference committee would have to wrestle with the question of whether or not a person who refuses to obtain coverage and refuses to pay the penalty can be charged with criminal tax evasion.

So there are diff versions, it's way early to see what the truth may be.

Here's where I got my number:

http://www.thepowerofa.org/2009/11/summary-of-merged-senate-health-care-bill/

- The bill contains a requirement that individuals have insurance coverage. The penalties for not having insurance begin in 2014 with a $95 fine, and scales up to $750 by 2016.

So that's why I said it started with a $95 fine. I dunno, it's way to ambiguous with way too many diffs now to really say.

I've got a non-cancerous tumor in my head that needs attention on an annual basis. I really can't tell from one year to the next if I'll be employed, or with who, or if their insurance is worth a shit. Or if my tumor would be a pre-exiting condition. All I know is the damn thing won't go away if I lose my coverage. I'm willing to accept a "public option" as a compromise, but there I draw the line. Any plan without a the public option can go fuck itself !

And this is where the RW needs to go fuck themselves. They waive around freeloaders and ask if you want to pay for them. They've done it for years with all kinds of social benefits, throw in a twist of racism and do you really want to pay for that N***** to have 20 babies to grow up and murder you? This is why we need a public option if not a single payer plan.

My GF has Crohn's, has worked at the same county job for 29 years and can't retire due to pre-existings. I guess she's lazy too. The RW just needs to roll up and fucking go away. Love teh young voters, love the minority voters; keep the Nazis out of the WH / congress!

Wake up people, the rest of the world sorted this out years ago.

Just as with the death penalty and many things.

The rest of the world is HAPPY with their government plans - just asking any visiting foreigners at your local dropzone. The ones I talk to at Perris cannot believe that our health insurance is so fucked up. These people are Europeans too, they're not from some mud hut Third World country. Their standard of living is better than ours, and their health insurance is a part of it. It's time America wakes up and getswith the fucking program ! Period.

Yep, well, ignorance breeds fear and that's why it is the way it is. We're not ignorant? Explain how GWB got even 20% of the popular vote.

So let me see if I understand, you want to "shitcan" my health care insurance because YOURS is bad????????? What is wrong with having National coverage for all Americans and leave my plan alone? I am not trying to take anything from you, why are you trying to take my care away from me?

Perhaps you're not following it very well, but that is the plan.

no the country is healthier with lower debt,...

See if ya can follow along:

- Cut taxes = debt increases

- Cut taxes = wealth disparity speads as with the late 1920's where the top .01% held asset equal to that of the bottom 40%.

Cutting taxes sucks for most, rocks for a very few.

now we can achieve this either by cutting gov spending or by raising taxes, I'll choose cutting gov spending.

Or both. In fact GHWB and Clinton did both and look at what happened. Why do we have to be so simplistic as in 1 or the other?

Of course your heroes did neither and the debt is 12T due to that.

I guess you didnt get the memo about businesses getting penalized if they don't cover "most" of the healthcare coverage costs for their employees ...

Pertains to larger corps and may be hacked.

Maybe you also missed the memo about how many people don't have jobs today because the economy has tanked...

OK, what does that have to do with, "And when has my employer ever been penalized for not providing me with a house?"

Yes, I'm sure some of those losses are people with big money just trying to pocket some more, but many businesses are really hurting and those cuts have had to be made just in the hopes that the company can survive...

Yep, we're all hurting, big and small, way more small, however.

For those of us with jobs, many have recieved cuts in pay and benifits for the same reason, but got to at least keep a job.

Yep, furlow.

Consider the possibility that forcing employers to take on additional costs in this kind of economy just might cost more people their jobs ... That will help things a lot, we will really be on track then.

1) This won't take effect for years most likely and the economy will be recovered.

2) How is it that other countries can provide this via employer or increaed payroll / income taxes, etc and be beating our currency and overall economy?

You're a true American tho, I'll give ya that; money before people. Point is, I don't give a fuck how or where, it's pathetic that the US doesn't find a way.

I was poking fun at ya, Lucky - I should have thrown in some smileys.

Interesting about the fine, though - I wonder if it's in place of or in addition to the tax penalty?

I think it's one in the same. In reality this is in its infancy with diff versions, so we really don't know. And hey, if you have ins now and plan to keep it, this can only help you.

My GF has Crohn's, has worked at the same county job for 29 years and can't retire due to pre-existings.

Speaking of 'ignorance breeding fear'... somebody's fulla bull.

From http://www.medicare.gov/medigap/prex.asp

Open Enrollment Period
If you buy a policy during your Medigap open enrollment period, and you had at least six months of previous health coverage that qualifies as "creditable coverage", the company cannot give you any pre-existing condition waiting period. If you had less than six months of creditable coverage, this waiting period will be reduced by the number of months of creditable coverage you had.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I guess you didnt get the memo about businesses getting penalized if they don't cover "most" of the healthcare coverage costs for their employees ...

Pertains to larger corps and may be hacked.

I suppose if you consider a company with 20 employees that average $25k a year in pay a "larger corp", your right. I consider that a small business.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

>NEVER, EVER before has the Governement FORCED its population to
>purchase ANYTHING...

Houses. If you do not buy a house, you are PENALIZED through increased taxes. If you refuse to pay that penalty, you go to JAIL!

>But wait to see what happens when they pass this bill, it will open the
>doors for the gov't to force you into all kinds of shit you just dont
>want. Ron is right, this will destroy us...

Well, let's see. We've had tax penalties since 1861. Hasn't destroyed us yet.

When you buy a house, you get some tax breaks... If you don't buy healthcare you will get additional taxes...

Same thing.

-(-x) = +x

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So what's the fucking difference if I pay it as taxes or premiums ?

There's a major difference. You are FREE to pay premiums. You get to choose to pay them, or handle the health care of yourself and your family as best you see fit. Its that whole freedom and responsibility thing.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

The fiduciary standard of civil obedience is what makes US care good for those lucky enough to have it. I say leave the pop torts alone.

That's a powerful statement. You are so stupid. You are so misinformed. Have you ever had a family member die in your arms? Please shut the fuck up you wasteless peice of life..

>NEVER, EVER before has the Governement FORCED its population to
>purchase ANYTHING...

Houses. If you do not buy a house, you are PENALIZED through increased taxes. If you refuse to pay that penalty, you go to JAIL!

That is the lamest response I have ever read. Not even a real comparison. The Government forcing you to buy something is now the same as not paying the taxes you owe. :S Bill, I can't believe you wrote that and even worse, possibly believe it.

Your situation is unusual, most people have heavy notes that they writeoff.

Um not it's not.

I am 30 years old and just bought my first house. I paid cash. I don't have a note.

Alright, sample size of 2 that are non-random; I'm convinced :S.

http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/292005_Mortgage_Study.asp

Mortgage Study (2005) - Americans Will Carry Mortgage Into Golden Years.

Whereas, in 1989, 54 percent of homeowners in the 55 to 64 age cohort were mortgage free, by 1998 that number had declined to 39 percent.

I would venture to say your age group has a 5% paid off rate at best, at they are comprised of inheritances and rich kids from rich families.

The fiduciary standard of civil obedience is what makes US care good for those lucky enough to have it. I say leave the pop torts alone.

That's a powerful statement. You are so stupid. You are so misinformed. Have you ever had a family member die in your arms? Please shut the fuck up you wasteless peice of life..

Let me work around the PA's to see if I can make sense of this. What I'm saying is that the INCREASED LEVEL OF CIVIL RESPONSIBILITY (fiduciary as opposed to basic duty of care) should render a greater system of care in the HC industry. If we water-down civil liability, we will also reduce/eliminate the duty a doctor/hospital feels when renderring care. OTOH you don't want it to be so severe that doctors/hospitals can't move. I think it's ok the way it is, but that's opinion. I fear a cap of 200k on an lawsuit and then doctors/hospitals/HMO's make a business decision when deciding thinngs like long-term care or expensive operations, esp on older patients. I think it's good to have that civil judge hanging over the heads of doctors/hospitals/HMO's, which is what makes them act in a fiduciary way; AKA more responsibly.

So if you sadly had a family member die in your arms, I'm addvocating for you in that I want more responsibility via civil liability. I think you misunderstood me and perhaps don't understand legal language/concepts.

>The Government forcing you to buy something is now the same as
>not paying the taxes you owe.

Agreed. No one is forcing you to buy a house, as long as you don't mind paying the tax penalty. No one is forcing you to buy health insurance, as long as you don't mind paying the tax penalty.

>When you buy a house, you get some tax breaks... If you don't
>buy healthcare you will get additional taxes...

Same thing. Buy a house or get health insurance, pay less tax. In both cases the government is trying to encourage you to do something.

>The Government forcing you to buy something is now the same as
>not paying the taxes you owe.

Agreed. No one is forcing you to buy a house, as long as you don't mind paying the tax penalty. No one is forcing you to buy health insurance, as long as you don't mind paying the tax penalty.

Still a very poor argument.