Andy9o8

Should Catholic Church Punish Pro-Abortion Rights Govt Officials?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091122/kennedy_communion_091122/20091122?hub=World

Exerpt:

Patrick Kennedy says he's banned from Communion

The Associated Press

Date: Sunday Nov. 22, 2009 7:33 AM ET

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A Roman Catholic bishop in Rhode Island has banned Rep. Patrick Kennedy from receiving Communion, the central sacrament of the church, because of the congressman's support for abortion rights, Kennedy said in a newspaper interview published Sunday.

The decision by Bishop Thomas Tobin significantly escalates a bitter dispute between the ultraorthodox prelate, and Kennedy, a son of the most famous U.S. Roman Catholic political family.

"The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion," Kennedy told the The Providence Journal in an interview conducted Friday.

Church law permits Tobin to ban Kennedy from receiving Communion within the Diocese of Providence, which he leads, but he cannot stop Kennedy from receiving Communion elsewhere. Kennedy represents constituents from Rhode Island in Congress.

It was unclear whether bishops overseeing Washington and Massachusetts, where Kennedy's family has a seaside compound, would issue similar bans.

Kennedy said the bishop had explained the penalty by telling him "that I am not a good practicing Catholic because of the positions that I've taken as a public official," particularly on abortion.

Note, this is not the only politician for whom this issue has been raised:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=catholic+church+deny+communion+support+abortion&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=5b7cf21b103219ea

Punish? No -

Excommunicate - absolutely.

Well now that post explains a lot.

Which part do you need explained for you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I don't see how the church could support them.

I mean the church should not allow people that do not follow the churches policies to be part of the church. anything else is pandering.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I mean the church should not allow people that do not follow the churches policies to be part of the church. anything else is pandering.

Would it then be intellectually consistent that, therefore, the Catholic church should also deny the sacrament to government officials who support the death penalty?

Politics from the pulpit is very unbecoming for an American.

Your kidding right?

Trust meI know what the reality is..... and the founding fathers should be rolling in their graves since they went to such lengths to prevent the same crap that forced most of their families to escape from it in all their ancestral countries.

Now we have a slew of fucknuggets who wish to return to those good times:S:S:S

Would it then be intellectually consistent that, therefore, the Catholic church should also deny the sacrament to government officials who support the death penalty?

Absolutely.

Sure, show where the church has claimed to not support capital punishment and I would agree. I don't actually follow the church and really don't know what they say on the topic.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Sure, show where the church has claimed to not support capital punishment and I would agree. I don't actually follow the church and really don't know what they say on the topic.

http://www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/Apr1999/feature1.asp#F6

The core of the homily was a challenge to America to heed this mercy and thus become unconditionally pro-life in every situation: abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, racism, poverty, even capital punishment. "I renew the appeal I made most recently at Christmas for a consensus to end the death penalty, which is both cruel and unnecessary," he said. "Modern society has the means of protecting itself, without definitively denying criminals the chance to reform."

-Pope John Paul II

The Catholic Church has not been hesitant about w/r/t opposition to the death penalty.

Pope John Paul II called capital punishment “cruel and unnecessary.” See, the “Evangelium Vitae” (The Gospel of Life) issued 25 March 1995.

The Catholic Church and its cardinals and bishops have issued numerous statements against the death penalty over the last 35 years, including opposition to death penalty for convicted terrorists.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The Catholic Church has not been hesitant about w/r/t opposition to the death penalty.

Pope John Paul II called capital punishment “cruel and unnecessary.” See, the “Evangelium Vitae” (The Gospel of Life) issued 25 March 1995.

The Catholic Church and its cardinals and bishops have issued numerous statements against the death penalty over the last 35 years, including opposition to death penalty for convicted terrorists.

I suppose I could ponder aloud why the CC does not similarly threaten pro-death penalty politicians with suspension from the sacraments, but heck - maybe it's there, but just under the radar.

Anyhow, consider: the CC takes the position that the only (good!) Catholic politicians who may take the sacrament are those opposed to both abortion and the death penalty. That would either (a) disqualify the vast majority of Catholics from holding public office (just like the good old days!), or (b) keep most Catholic politicians out of church; and after all, being politicians, they're beyond spiritual guidance anyway, right?

Revoke their tax-exempt status and we'll call it even.

That was exactly my thought too.
After all, they seem to have no problems to support pedophiles until it was made public.

Now, now; let's not be cynical. That's what we have the Muslims for.

Anyhow, consider: the CC takes the position that the only (good!) Catholic politicians who may take the sacrament are those opposed to both abortion and the death penalty. That would either (a) disqualify the vast majority of Catholics from holding public office (just like the good old days!), or (b) keep most Catholic politicians out of church; and after all, being politicians, they're beyond spiritual guidance anyway, right?

Well, then it means Catholic Church is just a political whore.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Should Catholic Church Punish Pro-Abortion Rights Govt Officials?

he should be punished for going to church, especially a catholic one.

He should follow his instincts, as in the pro choice, and fuck off the church altogether.

Click these pages and see what kind of morals the catholic church has.

They are the epitomy of EVIL!

Any institution that would prohibit the use of the decimal point and the number zero, for 1000 years...

Are a bunch of morons.

Being successful with a silver spoon does not make one necessarily have good gudgment.

The Catholics are by definition, morons.

So who cares?

:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I don't have a problem with them denying services to someone who doesn't subscribe to their dogma. I think that logically, they should treat pro-capital punishment members the same way they treat pro-choice members, but it doesn't really concern me. Either way, I'd be a fan of taxing them (and other churches) the same as any other business.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

And it's better than burning at the stake.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.