JohnRich

Armed Defense Against Pirates?

Who except the a.m. persons would be idiotic enough to enter those pirate contaminated bodies of water??

Yes, I know, there have been several idiots cruising with private yachts, risking thier own lifes [:/] But that's not the norm.

For those of you who haven't been there, Seychelles is a big tourist destination in the Indian Ocean. It has some of the most beautiful and secluded beaches in the world that have been featured on many E! specials. There economy is mostly based off of tourism. The couple that were kidnaped from their sail boat were coming from there.

The main reasons why UN nations don't want to arm ships is because of the legalities of transporting weapons on civilian ships in international ports. A few weenies are also crying about an arms race with the pirates. On the flip side, we can't just let them run around unchecked either. There violence effects countries like Seychelles.

I think we have to arm the ships. If the juice is no longer worth the squeeze, then they will stop trying to steal sips. I may have to share some of my favorite beaches though[:/]
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The couple that were kidnaped from their sail boat were coming from there.

They were piloting an unarmed yacht through what is widely known as some of the most pirate-infested waters in the world. That's as bright as cruising a Beemer through the worst section of the city at night with your windows down. At some point, Darwin's law becomes relevant.

I think all of us are good with your being armed in your Texas home to protect against pirates.

That's just funny right there.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

They were piloting an unarmed yacht through what is widely known as some of the most pirate-infested waters in the world.

Due to many laws they were not allowed to be armed.

That's as bright as cruising a Beemer through the worst section of the city at night with your windows down.

But what if the Opera is down that road and you are in DC?

Do you blame every victim of a crime for being in the wrong place? Do you blame rape victims for wearing the wrong thing?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Actually having been a professional saeman I would not be in favour of ships crews being armed against pirates. I am in favour of armed security professionals dong that job. My second choice would be an arms locker under the lock and key of the master.

2nd this big time. I work as a range officer at our local shooting range. Deer season opens tomorrow.
If you saw how some of these guys handle their weapons you'd have a heart attack.

This isn't Hollywood. You don't just hand out weapons (particularly pistols which would be mostly useless) to untrained seamen and think that it will be a good thing,

FWIW, a lot of the ships have "repelled boarders" with fire hoses, and a bunch of the pirates have been rammed and sunk. They aren't totally helpless.
Don't forget that the dead pirates from the Maersk Alabama had their boat sunk. That's why they were in the ship's lifeboat when they got shot.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I read the article this morning and was a bit surprised. Why is this the first account I've read about an attempt to defend a ship utlizing lethal weapons against modern day pirates?

Because to many people think guns are bad and you should be able to talk your way out of the situation.

Just supplying the crew with guns does not seem to be what's happening.

AFAICT this is using a professional trained and armed security force. Seems like a good idea to me. I hope it doesn't just end up in an arms race with the pirates getting heavier weapons.

This world has always been an arms race since the days of the caveman. The only way to stop it is to stop the money to the pirates or to eliminate the pirates.

They were piloting an unarmed yacht through what is widely known as some of the most pirate-infested waters in the world.

Due to many laws they were not allowed to be armed.

That's as bright as cruising a Beemer through the worst section of the city at night with your windows down.

But what if the Opera is down that road and you are in DC?

Do you blame every victim of a crime for being in the wrong place? Do you blame rape victims for wearing the wrong thing?

Ron, you have this very, VERY annoying habit of re-casting people's opinions as something else, and then arguing against that. I've called you out on it already this week. When you cut the shit and stop being so obnoxious, I'll be willing to have a reasonable discussion with you.

Ron, you have this very, VERY annoying habit of re-casting people's opinions as something else

NO ONE makes you hit reply.

But since you brought it up, YOU have the very annoying habit of saying something and then not being willing to back it up.

You blame these folks for being somewhere they should not have been.... Yet, you are not willing to defend that position in the same ilk in another situation.

I find that to be hypocritical and obnoxious... And I have already called YOU out on it this week as well.

I'll be willing to have a reasonable discussion with you.

Yep, right up till your logic is called out and you can't reply logically... then you will start this personal BS... It is a trend I have noticed in you.

Isn't it interesting how 97% of the voters here say ship crews should be armed against pirates.

And yet, nowhere near that number think it's a good idea for citizens to be armed in their own homes to resist against attacking criminals.

I wonder what makes the difference?

I don't know, but I imagine on the high seas there's less chance of a round going through a plaster wall and killing your children....

Isn't it interesting how 97% of the voters here say ship crews should be armed against pirates.

And yet, nowhere near that number think it's a good idea for citizens to be armed in their own homes to resist against attacking criminals.

I wonder what makes the difference?

I don't know, but I imagine on the high seas there's less chance of a round going through a plaster wall and killing your children....

Hyperbole much?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I imagine on the high seas there's less chance of a round going through a plaster wall and killing your children....

Do you think the government should ban guns in homes to protect children, thereby rendering all parents defenseless against criminal attack?

Or do you think that should be a decision best left to the parents to make for themselves?

Funny, I know lots of people that have guns and not once have they had a round go through a wall and killed a child.

You think they have broken guns, or bad ammo????