thrillstalker

spiritual skydiving???

does skydiving have a spiritual aspect to it for you? i know it does for me, just curious to hear some explanations.

If by "spiritual" you mean it's able to give you some literal and figurative views about the Earth, sky and your place within and without it you probably can't get any other way, then I'd say yes.

For me, it can be a very pure experience. There have been moments when skydiving where nothing else has mattered in the entire universe.

If, on the other hand, you mean it connects me with some external "god", then no. At least not for me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

does skydiving have a spiritual aspect to it for you? i know it does for me, just curious to hear some explanations.

Absolutely! It was the beginning of a change in personal life philosophy. I don't have time to outline the journey now but, I will get back to you.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

i didnt mean god in any way. i am not a believer personally. by spiritual i mean that i kind of go to another place in myself, almost like i have found some sort of piece within that i havent been able to find anywhere else. i really enjoy the mental break skydiving gives me. for that few minutes the "real" world doesnt exist for me. kinda like living in the now, there is only one task you have and that is to get to the ground safely or you die. its just liberating for me.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Yes. I do believe in "God" and I feel that skydiving is one of his greatest gifts to me.

It has given me some insights on life that I wouldn't have had otherwise. It has helped me realize how important some things are and how unimportant others are.
It has given me a much greater appreciation for my life.

There is also the mind-clearing aspect of it. Once the cut is called (or the light goes on) nothing else matters. Nothing else can intrude. I need total focus.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

All these people who apparently have no fear of God sure are afraid of recognizing and accrediting anything good to his spirit.;)

Sigh - Fundamental misunderstanding alert!

It's not people saying "I'm not afraid of God" it's people saying "I don't think there is a God". Someone who doesn't think there is a God is naturally not going to attribute anything, good or bad, to it's influence. That's nothing to do with fear, it's just basic logic.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I belief and am very afraid of little green hobbits who control the universe. Are you afraid of recognizing and accrediting anything good to little green hobbits?

Thanks goodness this thread is already in SC.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I belief and am very afraid of little green hobbits who control the universe. Are you afraid of recognizing and accrediting anything good to little green hobbits?

Thanks goodness this thread is already in SC.

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows it's all Gnomes.

"Someone who doesn't think there is a God is naturally not going to attribute anything, good or bad, to it's influence"

Do you really believe this?

Yes. It's very very simple - if there is no god, the influence of god is zero, zip, nothing.

There is, of course, the influence of religion, but not god.

does skydiving have a spiritual aspect to it for you?

No. Unless you count when my canopy takes a little longer than usual to open, and I may utter; "Please God..."

I'm sure I've uttered that as well as a few instances of "HOLY SHIT!!!":o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yes. It's very very simple - if [I believe] there is no god, [then I believe] the influence of god is zero, zip, nothing.

I put the brackets in there for you.

Since our whole discussion is about what people think, I would have thought that you could figure out that's what I meant from the context. See the second set of brackets added to make sure it's absolutely crystal clear for you.

Anyway, point being, no, people who think there is no god do not attribute anything, good or bad, to god. That's basic logic.