downwardspiral

What to do during a mass shooting?

When I gave my response earlier it was meant to say it was what the general pubic should do.

I think if I did nothing but escape with my own life I cold never look my friends in the face again.

I also think I would have failed anyone who provided me training in the past.

I would have also failed anyone I provided training to.

BIZARRE!
What does this tells you about the society we are living
in?

It tells me that there were 2 such incidents in the past 2 days. They are quite rare, but they do happen. When they do happen they are all over the news because they are so spectacular and so rare.

They are what???

You must be living on the moon or just kidding. Shootings of every kind do happen in the US on a regular basis.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

BIZARRE!
What does this tells you about the society we are living
in?

It tells me that there were 2 such incidents in the past 2 days. They are quite rare, but they do happen. When they do happen they are all over the news because they are so spectacular and so rare.

They are what???

You must be living on the moon or just kidding. Shootings of every kind do happen in the US on a regular basis.

No, I'm serious and I live in the US.

How many occurred in the last year??

The last 2 years??

The last 40 years??

Although This Link is from last April and doesn't include the latest two, it shows 21 incidents over the last 40+ years.

You are more likely to get attacked by a shark, and far, far more likely to get struck by lightning than to be involved in one of these attacks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My response: disable him by any and all means if he's still standing and armed/shooting, take custody if he's not. Of course, I have the advantage of knowing that it's happening before I get there, body armor, firearms (plural) including a long gun, and dozens of friends coming with similar advantages.

My advice to my wife, who does not have those advantages? Run like hell if you can, hide behind cover in the most secure room you can find if you can't. Do not look for somebody to play hero. There might be some brave souls who will try to jump/stop/attack the shooter, but I don't want her around when they do. If he comes near her hiding place, wait until he walks into the funnel and shoot him.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

No, I'm serious and I live in the US.

How many occurred in the last year??

The last 2 years??

The last 40 years??

Although This Link is from last April and doesn't include the latest two, it shows 21 incidents over the last 40+ years.

You are more likely to get attacked by a shark, and far, far more likely to get struck by lightning than to be involved in one of these attacks.

The last 2 years?? 6 !!!

22 incidents since '66 plus actual 2 = 24 in 43 yrs.
For the rest, do the math by yourself.

Much more scary is that the time intervals during the last years are becoming shorter and shorter.....[:/]

White-wash your statistic as long as you want:

I prefer a long walk in our local forest during a nightly thunderstorm.

[:/]

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I agree. My commentary was directed in a general public response. Its one of those things that if you have the training, you know what to do and how to do it. You also know what the LE response will be. I'm not going to talk about what the LE response will be at all, so in general for the public they should do as I recommended.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The responses to these types of threads is always very interesting.

We have our "I am freakin' awesome scenario." Those scenarios are either encouraged or shot down by the forum masses. We try to be humble by saying we'd be pansies like everyone else, but I think the most honest answer for many of us is the most conservative response + a healthy dose of bravery.

I'm a fairly calm person under pressure, so long as I am not under an authority figure trying to rush my decisions. The few instances I have been through life-threatening situations, I have been able to keep my cool and respond appropriately.

Considering the above, my most honest response follows.

Open space or inside of building with many halls or rooms, plausible response:

I would do what I can to help as many people escape as possible. I would play decoy if there was a high probability of my survival and for the successful evacuation of the people I'm sacrificing my safety for. I would do my best to pull injured people to cover and tend to them. I would leave people behind if the gunman had me in his sights for two reasons. The primary being self-preservation, the secondary being that I would be useless to help anybody if I was injured or killed. I would not return to the incident area to help more people once I left, unless there was a clear chance of helping someone that really needs it.

I would think to offer assistance to emergency medical services, but probably wouldn't because of the high chance my offer would be refused.

Single room, plausible response:

Freeze because I'm scared shitless, take a few seconds to breathe and think. Throw everything I can grab straight at attacker and try to take him down. Throwing a stack of paper or a notebook at the shooter would be ideal because it would overwhelm his vision. Fight to the bitter end.

If I had access to a gun in any situation, I wouldn't use it unless I had absolutely no choice and a clear shot on the shooter. I'd rather not be mistaken for a shooter, and I don't have enough experience with firearms to be accurate under pressure. Give me a rifle and I might be more bold, but again, I'd rather not be mistaken for a shooter.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?