cliffwhite

Iran and the Nucleur Non Proliferation Treaty

So I'm just kinda curious how many people in speakers corner believe Iran is in violation and how many think they are not in violation.

Personally ,after much research, I don't believe that Iran is in violation of the NNPT.
Of course, I also knew that Iraq didn't have weapons of mass destruction, and that Osama Bin Laden was not responsible for 9-11.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

Is Iran a signatory to that treaty?.. If Iran hasn't signed the treaty (which they haven't since they weren't a nuclear power) then they can hardly be in violation!

Does it matter if Iran gets nuclear weapons?

DOH! Of course it does,,, but would Iran gaining nuclear weapons be a good thing or a bad thing?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Is Iran a signatory to that treaty?

Yes. And they've signed the additional protocol.

Imo, technically they are not in violation of the NPT. *Not* because I think they're sincere in their claims of pursuit of peaceful nuclear energy. (I don't.) But because when the NPT was written (1960s), it was wrtten that a state in order to be in violation had to be so far to the right in terms of construction of an actual device, i.e., have an actual deliverable device. Imo, it's a largely an artifact of the expectations of the time that states like Iran (or Pakistan) would not have the technolgical capacity to be able to indigenously produce nuclear weapons. The states that could at the time, e.g., Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, weren't of concern as proliferants.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Thanks Marg... I was (narrowly) thinking of the Nuclear-Weapons-States obligations under the treaty.

However, given that a NNW state can LEGITIMATELY withdraw on 90 days notice I wonder if this treaty should be printed on softer, more absorbent paper?

What's YOUR take on the relative risks of aggression should Iran develop nukes & delivery systems?.. I remain of the opinion that the risk of aggression will reduce in the region.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

However, given that a NNW state can LEGITIMATELY withdraw on 90 days notice I wonder if this treaty should be printed on softer, more absorbent paper?

It was in 1995 when it was renewed. The 90-day notice for withdrawal is not so clear, especially as things play out in the real world, e.g., DPRK.

What's YOUR take on the relative risks of aggression should Iran develop nukes & delivery systems?.. I remain of the opinion that the risk of aggression will reduce in the region.

My take is that an nuclear-armed Iran will destabilize the region. I do not want to see Iran acquire military nuclear capabilities.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Is Iran a signatory to that treaty?

Yes. And they've signed the additional protocol.

It is my understanding that Iran has not yet ratified the additional protocol. I don't know enough about the details of Iran's government structure to know if they consider it to be legally binding without ratification.

Since a treaty would require approval of two-thirds of the Senate in the US before it was binding, regardless of whether or not it was signed, I think the same respect should be shown to other signatories and their national laws.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!