JohnRich

D.C. sniper set to be executed

I agree. A capital murder case should not ever been decided on witnesses alone. Or any vicious heinous crimes that warrants the death penalty according to the penal code. There needs to be irrefutable proof in evidence. If there is any doubt, but still enough for a conviction, put 'em in prison for life.

I recognize we do not have a perfect society so I can understand the pro-life, anti-death penalty point of view.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The day a man on death row was exonerated by dna evidence within 2 weeks of his execution was the day I changed my mind on the death penalty. Iirc he was found guilty on the testimony of 3 "eye witnesses." [:/]

I just do not like being part of the club of countries's with the death penalty. I tend to believe a civilized nation can do better.

Legally dead does not, of course, mean actually dead, as any fan of The Mikado knows full well.

and "mosly dead" is not "dead" either any fan of the Princess Bride knows full well

Can "mosly dead" be used with DRT (dead rite there)?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

i still think there should be public hangings and firing squads...make people think twice about doin shit like this...i dont like second offenders. I like dead offenders...just my 2c

edit: IRREFUTABLE proof established of course...not "well the police say this....."
~MaVriK~
"The Greatest Accomplishment in life is actually Living it"

I just do not like being part of the club of countries's with the death penalty. I tend to believe a civilized nation can do better.

And I'm good with it. Civilize by eliminating the uncivilized is how I look at it.

Its not so different in other third world states then... you are in great company... so much for all that BIBLE belt compassion and christianity.

Some people cain't seem to practice what is preached. then again most of those on the list with the US are other fundamentalist religious regimes or third world shit holes

Death Penalty Permitted
•Afghanistan
•Antigua and Barbuda
•Bahamas
•Bahrain
•Bangladesh
•Barbados
•Belarus
•Belize
•Botswana
•Burundi
•Cameroon
•Chad
•China (People's Republic)
•Comoros
•Congo (Democratic Republic)
•Cuba
•Dominica
•Egypt
•Equatorial Guinea
•Eritrea
•Ethiopia
•Gabon
•Ghana
•Guatemala
•Guinea
•Guyana
•India
•Indonesia
•Iran
•Iraq
•Jamaica
•Japan
•Jordan
•Korea, North
•Korea, South
•Kuwait
•Laos
•Lebanon
•Lesotho
•Libya
•Malawi
•Malaysia
•Mongolia
•Nigeria
•Oman
•Pakistan
•Palestinian Authority
•Qatar
•St. Kitts and Nevis
•St. Lucia
•St. Vincent and the Grenadines
•Saudi Arabia
•Sierra Leone
•Singapore
•Somalia
•Sudan
•Swaziland
•Syria
•Taiwan
•Tajikistan
•Tanzania
•Thailand
•Trinidad and Tobago
•Uganda
•United Arab Emirates
•United States
•Vietnam
•Yemen
•Zambia
•Zimbabwe

i still think there should be public hangings and firing squads...make people think twice about doin shit like this...i dont like second offenders. I like dead offenders...just my 2c

edit: IRREFUTABLE proof established of course...not "well the police say this....."

Yep, and it is a quick path to emotional relief for the victim's relatives and friends.

Funny how time goes by and a new generation of bleeding hearts appears ready to pardon some scum bag killer who will kill again.

Funny how time goes by and a new generation of bleeding hearts appears ready to pardon some scum bag killer who will kill again.

It's funny how some folks aren't smart enough to recognize the difference between being against the death penalty and favoring a pardon of the convicted. Sadly, such folks are allowed to sit on juries.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It's funny how some folks aren't smart enough to recognize the difference between being against the death penalty and favoring a pardon of the convicted. Sadly, such folks are allowed to sit on juries.

Or the same people who are bitching abouttheir fantasy "death panels" have no problem with theri own all very real death panels

If you hang em there's no chance of a pardon, and you can still oppose the death penalty. You can say the United States is "uncivilized" compared to Europe, but Islamic justice will make them "uncivilized" in time. It will be one big happy "uncivilized" world with the death penalty.

I agree. A capital murder case should not ever been decided on witnesses alone. Or any vicious heinous crimes that warrants the death penalty according to the penal code. There needs to be irrefutable proof in evidence. If there is any doubt, but still enough for a conviction, put 'em in prison for life.

In that case the penalty depends on the quality of the evidence rather than the heinousness of the crime, which is inappropriate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nah I think we should let you and other Texicans who believe in state mandated murder to do the shooting. ..so that everyone you think "needs killin".... gits kilt right away That should keep you guys changing your tightie whities all the time.

Oh boy! Amazon is back, spewing bigotry and hate again! Yeehaw!

Oh the irony.

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

In that case the penalty depends on the quality of the evidence rather than the heinousness of the crime, which is inappropriate.

nonsense - determination of guilt vs innocence is a separate process from determination of punishment.

The option to have the death penalty depends on the heinousness of the crime.

GIVING the death penalty vs life incarceration on a guilty verdict should (IMO) be based on two additional things -

1 - the likelihood of the criminal to repeat the crime (subjective - indicates little hope of rehabilitation)
2 - the quality of the evidence leading to the guilty verdict (direct) (kind of a beyond 'reasonable' doubt vs beyond 'any' doubt kind of thing - a bit sticky)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What say you, death penalty opponents? Should we spare his life because he might be deemed innocent in the future?

No, I say spare his life and treat him for the ills we as a state have inflicted on his mind.

John Allen Muhhomed is a classic case of "Manchurian Candidate " and we should all apologize to him, his family, our victims,and their families, and to the communities in which this particular terror campaign was conducted.

A brain-washed man can not be guilty of any crime . It is the controllers and ultimately their employers(us) who are guilty.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

You're mischaracterizing some people's reasons for opposition to the death penalty.

I do not trust the government with the power of life and death over the populace. Given that, I do not trust the government to put citizens to death (for any reason).

I fully believe he's guilty. I think that locking him up somewhere for the remainder of his days is sufficient to remove him from circulation, cheaper (generally) than a death sentence, and most importantly, doesn't give the power of life and death to an institution (the government) that I mistrust deeply.

Exactimundo !! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Emotionally, I could give a shit about the guy and don't mind seeing him executed, even though I am opposed to the death penalty in general for the above stated grounds. Also felt the same way about some sonofabitch who was hung in Washington state back in '94 - we all wore neckties to work (evening shift) to celebrate the night of the hanging. If that sounds contradictory, well human behavior often tends to be that way.

But worth considering is what some of Charlie Manson's girls have said about life in prison. They had originally been sentenced to death, but commuted to life in 1972 when CA banned the death penalty for several years (since restored). They said they were ready to die and in many ways wish they had, because it would have been so much easier than having to live with confinement and their own consciences for the last forty years. In Susan Atkins' case, her sentence has now been completed with her death from brain cancer. She couldn't even get a compassionate release with terminal cancer and an amputated leg. So Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten must be bummin' as they realize they haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of ever being released.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

cheaper (generally) than a death sentence,.

I'm extremely uninformed in regard to the costs involved with a life sentence vs. death sentence/execution. My initial opinion upon reading the question would have been "I sure as hell don't want to pay for them to take care of the guy for the next 50 or 60 years" but I'm intrigued to learn about the difference in cost for keeping a prisoner vs. killing one.

Is it primarily the time spent in court during appeals, etc. that raises the cost or is there something else involved with a death sentence and execution that raises the costs so significantly?
Killing threads since 2004.

Is it primarily the time spent in court during appeals, etc. that raises the cost or is there something else involved with a death sentence and execution that raises the costs so significantly?

It's mostly the (mandatory, in most places) extra legal reviews, as well as the (optional, but almost always pursued) appeals. But there is also additional cost involved with keeping prisoners on death row (which is more expensive than "normal" prison), and with the actual executions.

More info (from both slants):

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html
http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/DP.html
http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty/death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost/page.do?id=1101084
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/COcosttestimony.pdf
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

News:

DC sniper Muhammad set to die by lethal injection

The mastermind of the 2002 Washington, DC-area sniper attacks will die by lethal injection next month.

John Allen Muhammad is scheduled to be executed Nov. 10 for the October 2002 slaying of Dean Meyers at a gas station during a string of shootings.

The three-week killing spree in October 2002 left 10 dead in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia...
Source: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9BJIG986#at

What say you, death penalty opponents? Should we spare his life because he might be deemed innocent in the future?

Yes he should be killed. Many of the victim's family members should be allowed to snipe him, but not at vital areas so that he may have a slower, more painful death.