rushmc

Looks Like ANY Public Option is DOA YES!!!

sure, you can pay the extra taxes to support health care and they pay extra for a private plan and call that a 'choice to opt out'

The plan *might* tax the private cadillac plans as they are just deferred compensation. The general populace, you and me, won't see a tax increase.

I would agree that 3 of 4 people would be happy to opt out for a private plan if they could also opt out of the increased tax load to support the plan they don't want to participate in

Aren't you speaking for them?

a government sponsored health savings plan would be something that might accomplish it - kinda like vouchers for schools - but it would still be a forced PAYticipation for all

And of course that sucks...... unless you need it.

>Ah, so since you don't like them they are not viable alternatives.

Here are the right wing's "viable alternatives" as of today:

=========
QUESTION: Will the Republicans put their alternative [health care plan] online for 72 hours as well?

BOEHNER: Uh, we’ll uh, we’ll have our ideas ready. Don’t worry.

. . .

QUESTION: Is it your plan to have one Republican alternative that you all would get behind and endorse?

BOHNER: We have a number of ideas that we would like to proffer in this process, and we’re not quite sure how the majority intends to proceed. And so until we understand how they intend to proceed, it’s pretty difficult for us to have a solid plan.
==========

Yep. Any day now they'll have a solid plan. They've only had a year, for chrissakes! Give them another decade and they might be able to put a solid plan together, if the stars align and Obama is defeated. Until then, well, it's impossible.

Hmm! Once again, RepublicanReports shows a different result than every other polling organization! Best listen exclusively to them and ignore all other facts, lest you hear something that conflicts with your biases.

Well, thier history is better and newer than what you have posted

Yea, all is rosey.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushrosecolored.htm

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushrovecolored.htm

This one, to me, defines conservatism:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushsheep.htm

That's my new screensaver :D

why? cause that it the side of a sheep you usually see??

:P

dont forget your tingley's!!

Is that the best you can do? You're slipping :D

I am from farm country. The only better would be if you were the one in Des Moines caught putting a skirt on the woolly animal. That wasn't you, was it??:P
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Ah, so since you don't like them they are not viable alternatives.

Here are the right wing's "viable alternatives" as of today:

=========
QUESTION: Will the Republicans put their alternative [health care plan] online for 72 hours as well?hope so, or I will call them out too

BOEHNER: Uh, we’ll uh, we’ll have our ideas ready. Don’t worry.

. . .

QUESTION: Is it your plan to have one Republican alternative that you all would get behind and endorse?

BOHNER: We have a number of ideas that we would like to proffer in this process, and we’re not quite sure how the majority intends to proceed. And so until we understand how they intend to proceed, it’s pretty difficult for us to have a solid plan.
==========

Yep. Any day now they'll have a solid plan. They've only had a year, for chrissakes! Give them another decade and they might be able to put a solid plan together, if the stars align and Obama is defeated. Until then, well, it's impossible.

Ok, the dems have rolled 3, 4 plans out? The R's have one? Call em both out or put a sock in it I say
Abraham Lincoln

I dont need a link.
Tort reform, reduce malpractice awards will cut insurance premiums.

Good. The first question is, how much? As far as I know, several states (like CA) have reduced malpractice awards, and the healthcare costs there do not seem to be significantly smaller.

Second question is, why would insurance company cut its premiums instead of just increasing their profits? People have been paying those premiums before, sure they can afford it, why decrease them?

Third, depending on reform, it might put doctors in danger. I pointed out a recent case in Russia, where a father shot a doctor who was not able to save his daughter. I'd speculate that if the father had an option to sue, he'd rather sue - and the doctor would likely prefer to pay huge insurance premium than just being shot (which is the only actual remedy there).

Open up state boarder to all offered insurance providers. This will increase competition and allow people to choose plans they want and that they can afford

This is what the bill is also about, together with forcing those who can pay for insurance, to maintain it. I do suggest you read it.

State mandates of specific coverages are eliminated

There are federal minimums in the bill, which look reasonable to me. With interstate exchange the states are unlikely be able to mandate specific coverages.

Today there are a over 1000 insurance companies providing HC coverage. CA for example has access to about 6 and to boot, CA has near the most mandated coverages.

And if you look on real individual insurance companies, you'd be down to 3 (BC, BS and Kaiser). The rest are either virtually not accepted anywhere, or do not sell individual plans.

I have posted this before, as have others. I cant help it if you don't like it but that does not mean alternatives have not been provided.

I'd be more interested to understand how are you going to prevent the following problems your solution does not address:

- People with pre-existing conditions (who now get free care in ERs even if they could pay for the insurance - because they're not accepted);

- People who can afford insurance, but decide not to buy it (and then go to ER and get care and do not pay for it);

You only address part of problem.

In a world of guarantee issue and continuous coverage - there is no such thing as pre-existing conditions.

Mandated coverage can be enforced by connecting to other systems already in place - DL, SS, IRS, etc. Best way to determine term charges and any credits would be to connect it to AGI, filing status, etc.

Everyone files a tax return, easy enough to go from there. Wanna live off the grid to the point of not filing a return, get your health care on a cash basis only.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I would agree that 3 of 4 people would be happy to opt out for a private plan if they could also opt out of the increased tax load to support the plan they don't want to participate in
but that would be impossible

Well, you ARE paying for it right now through increased premiums.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Is that the best you can do? You're slipping :)

To be fair, he's never really been able to do it well in the first place :)

Welcome to the thread!:)
Abraham Lincoln

And they will be higher if you get your way
Abraham Lincoln

Is that the best you can do? You're slipping :)

To be fair, he's never really been able to do it well in the first place :)

Yea I know, it sounds better if I give him credit for it tho ;). Here's evidence of his quick wit and endless humor: I am from farm country. The only better would be if you were the one in Des Moines caught putting a skirt on the woolly animal. That wasn't you, was it??

Hmm! Once again, RepublicanReports shows a different result than every other polling organization! Best listen exclusively to them and ignore all other facts, lest you hear something that conflicts with your biases.

Yea, all is rosey.

I am from farm country. The only better would be if you were the one in Des Moines caught putting a skirt on the woolly animal. That wasn't you, was it??:P

No, Rush, the only one here who knows of that alleged incident is you...... put it together.

This is statement nobody even tried to prove so far.

And I guess it has been proven prices will lower with the Pelosi plan then?

Ya right
Abraham Lincoln

This is statement nobody even tried to prove so far.

Premiums to Skyrocket Under Obamacare

Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:55 PM

By: David A. Patten

Millions of consumers will suffer skyrocketing insurance premiums next year due to "indirect taxes" contained in both the House and Senate versions of healthcare reform, according to various medical and insurance industry experts.

Healthcare reforms that were supposed to contain costs will actually cause a sharp hike in premiums, they add. In fact, several studies indicate consumers' premiums could more than double next year if healthcare reform takes effect.

"So even though this bill tries to hide these costs as indirect taxes," Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, recently told a business symposium, "average Americans who purchase health plans, take prescription drugs, or use medical devices will end up footing the bill."

The rate hikes stem from the hundreds of billions in proposed fees and taxes levied on providers.

According to the Senate's Joint Committee on Taxation, for example, the Finance Committee's proposal would assess $322 billion in taxes and fees on insurance premiums, prescription drugs, and medical devices.

The Committee and other experts say virtually all of those costs will be passed along to consumers in all tax brackets – despite President Barack Obama's pledge not to raise taxes "one dime" on those earning less than $250,000 per year.

Another likely frustration for consumers: The premium hikes will take effect right away, while the subsidies and benefits in healthcare reform won't completely kick in until 2014.

Scott Gottlieb, a physician and American Enterprise Institute resident fellow, stated Thursday in a New York Post op-ed that by front-loading the costs and back-loading benefits, Congress is resorting to "a gimmick that imposes a stiff price on the public."

That "gimmick," according to Gottlieb: Using 10 years of added fees and taxes on providers to offset about five years worth of benefits. Those costs "will immediately shift onto consumers, in the form of higher prices on medical products and rising premiums," he says.

Democrats have promised to insure an additional 35 million Americans, without raising taxes or increasing the tsunami of deficit red ink spilling out of Washington these days.

Douglas Holtz-Eakin, the former director of the Congressional Budget Office, appeared to concur with Gottlieb's assessment in a recent Wall Street Journal op-ed.

"These costs will be passed on to consumers by either directly raising insurance premiums, or by fueling higher health-care costs that inevitably lead to higher premiums," he wrote.

The bottom line: Most voters will be paying higher premiums for years before they see any benefits. That could spell serious trouble for Democrats in the 2010 midterm elections.

The Senate bill proposes $2.3 billion in fees on brand-name drugs, $4 billion on medical devices, and $6.7 billion levied on insurance companies, plus more than $100 billion in Medicare reimbursements to medical providers – all costs that would be shifted back onto consumers.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi's House bill appears even more expensive. It would impose $150 billion in Medicare cuts on the pharmaceutical industry, and a 2.5 percent tax on companies that manufacture medical devices.

"Most of astounding of all," Holtz-Eakin wrote, "is what this Congress is willing to do to struggling middle-class families. The bill would impose nearly $400 billion in new taxes and fees. Nearly 90 percent of that burden will be shoulders by those making $200,000 or less."

Just how much will insurance premiums jump once the Democratic reforms kick in? The figures vary from state to state.

According to a recent study by Wellpoint, the massive Blue Cross/Blue Shield licensee that provides insurance coverage to one in nine Americans some older and less healthy consumers could actually see rate reductions. But those cuts would be more than offset by the spiraling premium increases hitting other insurance customers.

Based on provisions in the bill passed by the Senate Finance Committee – which is more conservative than the broad proposals put forth by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker Pelosi – Wellpoint projects healthy people in their mid-20s could see their annual premiums increase by over 150 percent in at least seven states: Indiana (199 percent); Kentucky (199 percent); Maine (172 percent); Missouri (199 percent); Ohio (199 percent); Virginia (175 percent); and Wisconsin (199 percent).

For individuals of average age and health, and the small businesses employing them, the estimated rate hikes in the 14 states where Wellpoint does business would be:

California

Individual – 53 percent

Small Employer – 22 percent

Colorado

Individual – 52 percent

Small Employer – 9 percent

Connecticut

Individual – 64 percent

Small Employer – 8 percent

Georgia

Individual – 85 percent

Small Employer – 16 percent

Indiana

Individual – 122 percent

Small Employer – 20 percent

Kentucky

Individual – 122 percent

Small Employer – 22 percent

Maine

Individual – 172 percent

Small Employer - 18 percent

Missouri

Individual – 122 percent

Small Employer – 18 percent

Nevada

Individual – 61 percent

New Hampshire

Individual – 19 percent

Small Employer – 15 percent

New York

Individual – 82 percent

Small Employer – 6 percent

Ohio

Individual – 122 percent

Virginia

Individual – 96 percent

Small Employer – 25 percent

Wisconsin

Individual – 122 percent

Small Employer -17 percent

It's important to note, however, that Wellpoint's projected rate increases do not account for the increase in medical-service costs over time. Nor do they account for other, less obvious costs likely to accompany reform. So the actual premium increases might be higher.

Assuming voters aren't happy with skyrocketing premiums, the political pressure to limit the cost-shifting could be tremendous. Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and staunch opponent of current reform proposals, who authors the Blaylock Wellness Report for Newsmax Media, predicts that politicians would attempt to block the cost-shifting to consumers.

Doing so, he warns, would seriously impact the quality of U.S. healthcare.

"Of course, the government will anticipate this and prevent the doctors and hospitals from passing these costs to their patients," Blaylock tells Newsmax. "And this leaves one option: Severe rationing of care, which the government has wanted all along."

The spiraling costs contained in the Affordable Health Care for America Act unveiled Thursday by Pelosi drew heavy fire:

Competitive Enterprise Institute senior fellow Gregory Conko called the bill "a recipe for exploding costs," adding: "The Affordable Health Care for America Act is anything but affordable. It will force millions of Americans to pay higher health insurance premiums, it taxes individuals who would like to purchase insurance options that don’t meet standards set by Washington bureaucrats, and it forces businesses and individuals to pay for insurance benefits they don’t want and don’t need."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Retail Federation, The National Association of Manufacturers, and seven other major associations sent a letter to Pelosi warning the legislation "falls short of the bipartisan goal of controlling costs."

Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., the chairman of the House Republican Conference, told CNN the Pelosi plan "looks like another freight train of big government with more taxes, more mandate and more spending – and that's not what the American people want in health care reform." He added that a search showed the nearly 2,000-page bill contains the directive "shall" 3,425 times.

Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., remarked in a statement: "The people of this country want reforms that provide them with more choices, more competition, more innovation, higher quality, and lower costs. Instead, Democrat leaders have worked in secret to write a bill that does exactly the opposite."

Karen Ignagni, the president of the America's Health Insurance Plans trade group that lobbies Congress on behalf of insurance companies, called the proposal "a missed opportunity." Ignagni predicted "families and employers will not be able to afford coverage and health care costs will rise at a rate much faster than the overall economy is able to sustain." In addition to the Wellpoint study, AHIP says three other reports, including one by PricewaterhouseCoopers, project that current legislative proposals will cause premiums to increase "far faster and higher" than they would under the current system.

Voters probably won't like getting socked with higher premiums if the reforms pass. But most of them won't be that surprised.

A recent Rasmussen Reports poll showed 57 percent of voters nationwide expect the reforms that were supposed to reduce costs actually will make them go up. Also, 53 percent of voters expect the quality of healthcare in the post-reform era will get worse.

© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Abraham Lincoln

CBO Puts House Health Bill Total Cost At $1.055 Trillion

By Martin Vaughan, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday a U.S. House health-care system re-write would extend health insurance to 96% of the nonelderly U.S. population by 2019, and spend $1.055 trillion to do so.

Penalties imposed on individuals who did not purchase insurance, and employers who did not offer coverage to their workers, would raise $161 billion over that time-frame. That brings the net cost of the bill to $894 billion through 2019, CBO said.

House Democrats have seized on that net cost figure to claim that their bill is below President Barack Obama's upper limit which he set for health-care legislation of $900 billion.

The $1.055 trillion estimate also does not include $245 billion needed to stop Medicare payments to doctors from decreasing, which the House plans to address through separate legislation introduced Thursday.

The costs of the bill are fully offset by cuts to existing spending programs-- including the Medicare Advantage and other programs--saving $426 billion through 2019, and by tax increases raising $572 billion over that time, CBO said. In fact, the combined impact of provisions in the bill would be a net deficit reduction of $104 billion in the next decade, according to CBO.

CBO also said the House bill would not add to the deficit in the first decade beyond 2019--a key condition for support from fiscally conservative House Democrats.

CBO Director Doug Elmendorf, in a Thursday letter to House Democratic Chairmen, cautioned that his estimates are preliminary and "subject to substantial uncertainty."

House leaders capped weeks of internal negotiations among Democrats today by unveiling the sweeping legislation. They aim to bring the bill to a vote by the full House by the end of next week.

The bill would create exchanges where people who do not have access to health insurance from their employer could buy coverage. It would create a government- sponsored plan to compete with private plans.

The bill would reduce the number of uninsured in the U.S. by 36 million by 2019. By that time, 30 million people would be covered through the insurance exchanges, of which 6 million would be covered by the public option.

An expansion in eligibility rules for the Medicaid program would bring an additional 15 million enrollees to Medicaid by 2019, CBO said.

-By Martin Vaughan, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-9244; martin.vaughan@ dowjones.com

Abraham Lincoln

Yea, all is rosey.

No, Rush, the only one here who knows of that alleged incident is you...... put it together.

So, let me see if I got this right.

You post these three little cartoons and get yourself a cutsied warm tingley feeling all over, and then get a drive by post in support, and you claim the high road of wit?? Did I get that about right?

Aaaaaaaaallllllllllllrrrrrrrrriiiiiggghhhty then.
Abraham Lincoln

OK, every time someone makes this claim I have asked what savings would result. Then all we get is silence.

So how about it Marc. What savings would result?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Very true; be it public or private, care for those that can not afford it is going to be subsidized. Just a matter of by what mechanism - taxes or premiums.

On the matter of opting out to buy private; in a perfect world where the government regulates and acts as a clearinghouse, every private plan you could imagine would be available. There is really no longer a need for employer involvement. It is a layer of bureacracy that adds no value and can be completely eliminated. Employers will fight this tooth and nail because they want to be able to dangle a carrot in front of prospective employees, but it is smoke and mirrors. It should make no difference to them whether they give you $1K per month in benefits or $1K per month to spend at the clearinghouse. What they will not say out loud is that they want to preserve their ability to use current provisions (aka loopholes) that allow them to exempt themselves from many of the mandates and levies which direct sold and small group consumers must pay.

Eliminate these loopholes available to large employers, political subdivisions and other self-insured entities; and the business gets much simpler to administer. There are not many primary variables - deductible, coinsurance and copays, out-of-pocket max, and network selection. Make your selections from that matrix, identify your level of tax credits/subsidy - and you have a plan and a price.

Opting out should not even be on the table. Guarantee issue and opting out should be mutually exclusive. If there is going to be a penalty - then why not just use the money to pick a plan?

This really could be made very simple, well, simpler than today's mess anyway. Unfortunately, everybody is going to get some element that goes against their special interest, and some are going to fight it vigorously and selfishly to the detriment of all (aka politics as usual).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

OK, every time someone makes this claim I have asked what savings would result. Then all we get is silence.

Everybody has thier ideas. No differnent than everybody saying a gov option will save money. Only difference we are pretty sure it will not. Tort reform at least has the chance to lower insurance costs if settlements have a limit
Abraham Lincoln

Everybody has thier ideas. No differnent than everybody saying a gov option will save money. Only difference we are pretty sure it will not. Tort reform at least has the chance to lower insurance costs if settlements have a limit

Numbers, Marc, hard numbers, not more right wing waffle like the tripe you just posted about jobs.

HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

CBO Puts House Health Bill Total Cost At $1.055 Trillion

By Martin Vaughan, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday a U.S. House health-care system re-write would extend health insurance to 96% of the nonelderly U.S. population by 2019, and spend $1.055 trillion to do so.

Penalties imposed on individuals who did not purchase insurance, and employers who did not offer coverage to their workers, would raise $161 billion over that time-frame. That brings the net cost of the bill to $894 billion through 2019, CBO said.

House Democrats have seized on that net cost figure to claim that their bill is below President Barack Obama's upper limit which he set for health-care legislation of $900 billion.

The $1.055 trillion estimate also does not include $245 billion needed to stop Medicare payments to doctors from decreasing, which the House plans to address through separate legislation introduced Thursday.

The costs of the bill are fully offset by cuts to existing spending programs-- including the Medicare Advantage and other programs--saving $426 billion through 2019, and by tax increases raising $572 billion over that time, CBO said. In fact, the combined impact of provisions in the bill would be a net deficit reduction of $104 billion in the next decade, according to CBO.

CBO also said the House bill would not add to the deficit in the first decade beyond 2019--a key condition for support from fiscally conservative House Democrats.

CBO Director Doug Elmendorf, in a Thursday letter to House Democratic Chairmen, cautioned that his estimates are preliminary and "subject to substantial uncertainty."

House leaders capped weeks of internal negotiations among Democrats today by unveiling the sweeping legislation. They aim to bring the bill to a vote by the full House by the end of next week.

The bill would create exchanges where people who do not have access to health insurance from their employer could buy coverage. It would create a government- sponsored plan to compete with private plans.

The bill would reduce the number of uninsured in the U.S. by 36 million by 2019. By that time, 30 million people would be covered through the insurance exchanges, of which 6 million would be covered by the public option.

An expansion in eligibility rules for the Medicaid program would bring an additional 15 million enrollees to Medicaid by 2019, CBO said.

-By Martin Vaughan, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-9244; martin.vaughan@ dowjones.com

You're right. That IS a shocker. Congress actually proposed a bill that would more than pay for itself. Agree with the plan or not, that's quite an accomplishment for the Congress:o

This just in, as an homage to the "good old days" of a Republican run Congress and White House, John Boehner unveils the new Republican Health care strategy at a 2010 Election Campaign fund raiser which includes, but is not limited to, driving around around in pickup trucks and throwing out wads of cash.:D

I know sniping and running is a low blow, but this IS Speaker's corner and I have a boogie to get to.
Happy Halloween everyone!