NelKel

FOX NEWS: Fair and ballenced or total crap?

Thought this would be fun!
:)
I'm really interested to here your comments, and views on how Fox News is doing/reporting on the President, his administration, and the Dem's in congress.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Thought this would be fun!
:)
I'm really interested to here your comments, and views on how Fox News is doing/reporting on the President, his administration, and the Dem's in congress.

You're missing a third choice "never seen it."

Life is too short and television too boring to waste time watching it, especially with commercials.

No news is fair and balanced. They all have their own spin.

Watch/read/listen to whatever gives you the information (and spin) you want.

I listen to NPR everyday, and I can't tell you the number of times I've heard outright lies pushed as truth there. Why should FOX news be any different? They just have a different political slant.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No news is fair and balanced. They all have their own spin.

Watch/read/listen to whatever gives you the information (and spin) you want.

I listen to NPR everyday, and I can't tell you the number of times I've heard outright lies pushed as truth there. Why should FOX news be any different? They just have a different political slant.

But you have news that is really obscenely slanted and news that is generally without an agenda. I think ABC, NBC, CBS is generally the latter. I like Jeese Ventura's take on it, he says basically that news media is a business, so they make a commodity out of events.

I think this statement is based on what you perceive. Remember, if something is slanted and you are slanted in the same direction it looks straight. This, like most things, applies to both sides.

Not at all, I think Moveon and the sort are liberally slanted, Newsmax and the sort are conservatively slanted and Fox is mildly slanted. ABC, NBC and CBS are middle stream and generally not slanted at all. I've heard my local FOX station lauging at Democrats, they are slanted, the 3 mains are careful not to pick a side. Ultimately they all view events as a commodity and would sel their mother off for a story that made them money.

Would you give a few examples? NPR has a readily searchable archive. Because I've completely missed that. Perhaps you're hearing something I'm not. I'm curious what you're hearing that I'm not. Previous studies have shown that NPR & PBS listeners hold the most factually accurate views/least misperceptions. Or do you mean things said by folks being interviewed?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

A study by the respected Pew Research Center showed that 40 percent of Fox News stories on Obama in the last six weeks of the campaign were negative. Similarly, 40 percent of Fox News' stories on Obama's Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain, were negative. On CNN, by contrast, there was a 22-point disparity in the percentage of negative stories on Obama (39 percent) and McCain (61 percent). The disparity was even greater at MSNBC, according to Pew, where just 14 percent of Obama stories were negative, compared to a whopping 73 percent of McCain stories—a spread of 59 points.

Besides, fox has yet to either completely ignore facts or events like other stations because it might not fit their agenda or clip videos so they can falsely report:http://patterico.com/2009/08/19/msnbc-guys-carrying-guns-to-rallies-are-racists-especially-this-guy-whose-skin-color-we-will-now-proceed-to-hide-from-your-view/

I thought the recent stories on MOP reprogramming documents and what people interpreted those to mean was an interesting example, albeit single data point.

The original story (afaik) was posted on ABC News and some discussion here. ABC News also provided the DD1415s, aka updated ‘R-forms’, submitted to Congress, i.e., the primary data.

About a week later, a story on the same reprogramming docs by Fox News was brought up for discussion here.

The Fox news story contained at least one clear inaccuracy. Something that was just wrong and that a defense or Congressional reporter *should* have known. The DoD budget was approved in Oct 2008: PL 110-417, The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009. The 2009 Omnibus bill approved in February 2009 was for other departments. People know when they get money. Not knowing that is like a skydiver not that a Stiletto is a canopy not just a sword or women’s heel style.

Imo, substantively there wasn’t that much difference between the two stories. Again, imo, neither story was good; both were poor. Both sensationalized.

The two main differences were (1) ABC provided the primary documents, even if most (?) were unlikely to look at them, and (2) Fox News got something simple factually wrong.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Fox news called Van jones a Czar to!! Just lies after lies!

President Obama's presidential campaign focused on "making" the news media cover certain issues while rarely communicating anything to the press unless it was "controlled," White House Communications Director Anita Dunn disclosed to the Dominican government at a videotaped conference. The story, recently reported by Aaron Klein of WND.com, has also been linked to the Drudge Report.

"Very rarely did we communicate through the press anything that we didn't absolutely control," said Dunn.

"One of the reasons we did so many of the David Plouffe videos was not just for our supporters, but also because it was a way for us to get our message out without having to actually talk to reporters," said Dunn, referring to Plouffe, who was Obama's chief campaign manager.

"We just put that out there and made them write what Plouffe had said as opposed to Plouffe doing an interview with a reporter. So it was very much we controlled it as opposed to the press controlled it," Dunn said.

Lets remember that one of two of Anita Dunn's favorite political philosophers is communist and dictator Mae Tse Tung who killed million and millions of people!........oh....wait.....she was just joking? Sure!....only she thinks about him all the time and is the one she "turns to most!"

I think this statement is based on what you perceive. Remember, if something is slanted and you are slanted in the same direction it looks straight. This, like most things, applies to both sides.

Truth here.

Although, what's interesting is not which stations are slanted one way or the other, but the actions proposed by people that slant the opposite direction. I find very interesting the vitriol and willingness to crush Fox gets from their opponents, vs the opposite side of the coin. It's a bit scary.

Disagree with them, and they don't debate the differences and appreciate the contrast, rather they'll do any thing legal or illegal to shut you down, ruin your life, oppose your every wish.....

ok, it's more than scary

(but, then again, that reaction is just the fringe element and fringe elements from all viewpoints really don't respect individual freedoms for their opponents)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>I listen to NPR everyday, and I can't tell you the number of times I've heard
>outright lies pushed as truth there. Why should FOX news be any different?

FOX is oriented more towards entertainment. (Which makes sense; they are far more ratings driven.) In general, FOX listeners believe more falsehoods than NPR listeners, which says something about their prioritization of entertainment vs news.

In general, FOX listeners believe more falsehoods than NPR listeners, which says something about their prioritization of entertainment vs news.

Have you listened to NPR? In general, I'd say anyone is more prioritized to entertainment than NPR listeners.... :S

what about those that listen to both

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Have you listened to NPR? In general, I'd say anyone is more prioritized
>to entertainment than NPR listeners..

An excellent point. Linda Wertheimer could put anyone to sleep. On the other hand, Car Talk is entertainment thinly disguised as car advice.

>what about those that listen to both

They are all schizophrenic, and so are they.

FOX is oriented more towards entertainment. (Which makes sense; they are far more ratings driven.) In general, FOX listeners believe more falsehoods than NPR listeners, which says something about their prioritization of entertainment vs news.

One could also say the same about any "news" station out there right now.

While I don't regularly watch FOX, there are times when I'll flip it on simply because I'm tired of hearing the Obama love-fest that every other station seems to be involved in. [:/]

While I don't regularly watch FOX, there are times when I'll flip it on simply because I'm tired of hearing the Obama love-fest that every other station seems to be involved in. [:/]

didn't SNL make a mockery of election night of this?

MSNBC - everything was the love fest
Fox - everything was the anti-O fest
CNN - hideously showing charts and tables and graphs is excruciating detail

sounds about right

In general, FOX listeners believe more falsehoods than NPR listeners, which says something about their prioritization of entertainment vs news.

This doesn't seem to follow. You are saying that NPR listeners are like those who buy the Weekly World News - they know it isn't true. They are unlike WWN buyers as well because NPR isn't even geared towards entertainment.

I like NPR. But when I drive to work I listen to The News with Robin Quivers. [Sly]. It's on during the drive in.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

unlike, for example,,, PMS-NBC, they nearly always have opposing guests in their discussions.

Isn't the whole boycott about the Admin's refusal to put their people on Fox? Sure, you've got guys like McAuliffe who get the thumbs-up from the Admin to go on. But I'd kinda like to see some administration officials on there.

"Fox news is not fair and balanced because they don't have Administration officials on as a counterpoint.". This seems to be the argument they are setting up.

Just like the Bush Whinehouse...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Lets remember that one of two of Anita Dunn's favorite political philosophers is communist and dictator Mae Tse Tung who killed million and millions of people!........oh....wait.....she was just joking? Sure!....only she thinks about him all the time and is the one she "turns to most!"

Did "fair and balanced" FOX give equal time discussing Ms. Dunn's other favorite philosopher, Mother Teresa?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Would you give a few examples?

A few weeks ago I was listening to the Diane Rehm show. She had a guest who was a professor of political economy at Harvard. He said something along the lines of "the US has by far the least progressive tax system in the western world." As a Harvard professor in that area of study, I'm sure he knew that's completely false, and that the OECD has rated the US tax system as either 1st or 2nd in progressiveness in the industrial world (source). Diane Rehm made some comment to the effect of "of course we all know that" and away they went.

Today, on the same show, I got to hear (from the host, stated as fact) that people who aren't in line with the Al Gore foundation on global warming believe either (a) that global warming is actually good for the environment, or (b) that global warming isn't happening. No mention of the (far more interesting and defensible) position that we don't know exactly what causes global warming, and that therefore we don't actually know that any of the recommendations from the Gore folks will really do anything at all.

A few weeks ago on another program (maybe it was Fresh Air? I can't recall), I heard the same old tired story that "tens of thousands of people") were at the US Capitol on 9/12 for the taxpayer march. I know this to be false, as I was present at the event, which clearly had hundreds of thousands of people. You can view a photo of the attendance (and order it in poster size, if you like) here. Does that look like "tens" of thousands to you?

If you can point me at a searchable archive, I'll try to dig out the shows for you.

If you want, since I run across this kind of thing several times a week, I can just keep updating this thread each time I find another one.

For me, the major difference between FOX news and NPR (aside from the fact I listen to NPR and don't watch, read or listen to FOX news) is not that they are slanted (they both are--just in different direction), but that NPR gets to use my tax dollars to promote their slant, while FOX does not.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

FOX is oriented more towards entertainment.

It's interesting that we hear this from the administration, too, and that at least one administration official is on record arguing that entertainment speech (and other forms of commercial speech) should not be given the protection of the First Amendment.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hmmm ... based on what you've written, e.g., "something along the lines of ..." that sounds a lot more like people stating things with which you disagree than "outright" lies to me. Those aren't examples of lies, it's differing opinions & anecdotes.

As far as the march on Washington numbers issue, I vaguely recall a couple discussions of the disputed numbers that analyzed the different sources and came to the conclusion that it was many more than "tens of thousands." So, yes, you would likely have heard someone interviewed who advocated for the low number but that was part of the story, i.e., the politicization of data not the conclusion.

The searchable archive is accessible through the search function in the upper-right corner of the page you linked for the Diane Rehm show.

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Did "fair and balanced" FOX give equal time discussing Ms. Dunn's other favorite philosopher, Mother Teresa?

You mean the woman who withheld pain medicine from people in intense pain because suffering is good for the soul?

You've got to love religious fanatics. What a winner.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com